Overclock.net banner

Few more questions...

305 Views 4 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  sccr64472
Follow up to these two:

http://www.overclock.net/hard-drives...-question.html
and
http://www.overclock.net/hard-drives...d-0-worth.html

so I have the 1.5 TB external HD (currently at home, computer is at school until I get back sunday) with a Estat cable + another of the Exact same HD I bought when I built my computer (I didn't buy it during the 65$ sale and it actually went down another 5$ on newegg for black friday).

Here is what I want to do:
Get back and backup all the files that I want to keep onto this external HD
Install the new HD
then reformat and create a raid 0 array
after that set it up for automatic backups every 3-4 days with specific files saved with dates (cod4, 5 and MW2) and others overwritten

Few more questions of course...

1) The External HD is currently in a fat32 format. I can't remember if this was an issue but I'm going to be transferring some files that are 10+ GB onto the HD (movies). Should I reformat to another type and if so what format?

2) I heard of two ways to create a raid array (if I'm correct). In windows and through your mobo. Mine apparently has a jmirco JMB362 chip and i'm assuming it would be best to use that?

3) What would be the best way to reformat my drive that is currently being used for my OS (that will be turned into a raid 0)?

4) After I get all this up and running I am going to want to have automatic updates done every monday + thursday. some files are going to need to be overwritten and others are going to need to be dated when they were saved... What would be the best way to go about this?

thanks for the help yet again!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
2
Any hard drive that's formatted as FAT/FAT32 cannot have files over 4GB if I remember correctly...so you will have to reformat it to NTFS. Just be sure to backup any files that may already be on your FAT/FAT32 drive or else it will be gone after the reformat.

I don't know how you set up raid through Windows so I think it's best to set it up through your motherboard BIOS.

*Don't read if you already know how to set up raid*
Go to your BIOS hard drive raid settings and Enable which drives that you are going to use for raid. Be careful though when you have more than two drives since some people sometimes mistake the correct drives to raid...so be absolutely sure you know which drive is in which port in the BIOS (SATA1/SATA2/SATA3/etc). Once enabled...you should have another option when you boot up (it will ask if you want to enter Raid configuration/settings). You press what ever it tells you to...to enter the settings. You should enter a screen where you set up which hard drives are going to be raided together, the type of raid (Raid0/Raid1/Raid1+0/Raid5), size of the raid strip (32k/64k/128k), etc. Once you're done...you're ready to go.

Not sure what you mean about best way to reformat. If you mean regular formatting or quick formatting during the Windows installation then you should do a regular format. Quick format is usually used when you're obviously in a hurry and that you know your drives are in good condition. Not sure about Windows 7 but for Windows XP...you require raid drivers to set up raid during installation. You have to use a floppy for it (CD is possible with some messing around). I think you need a USB flash drive for Vista. I have no idea how it works for Windows 7. I just know that you can find the X58 Nvidia raid drivers on the Evga website (Mainboards -> EVGA X58 Series -> RAID Drivers). There's also something called Intel RAID Management...but sorry...can't help you there since I have no idea what that is either.

As for the last thing you want...I actually don't really understand you on that one. Are you just planning on copying, pasting, and overwriting your external backup on Monday and Thursday? If you want to set up something that will automatically do that for you then I don't think I could help you there
. You might have to just manually do that yourself with some decent organizing
See less See more
  • Rep+
Reactions: 1
6
Quote:


Originally Posted by pvp309rcp
View Post

Any hard drive that's formatted as FAT/FAT32 cannot have files over 4GB if I remember correctly...so you will have to reformat it to NTFS. Just be sure to backup any files that may already be on your FAT/FAT32 drive or else it will be gone after the reformat.

Thanks for that, just updated to NTFS

Quote:


Originally Posted by pvp309rcp
View Post

*Don't read if you already know how to set up raid*
Go to your BIOS hard drive raid settings and Enable which drives that you are going to use for raid. Be careful though when you have more than two drives since some people sometimes mistake the correct drives to raid...so be absolutely sure you know which drive is in which port in the BIOS (SATA1/SATA2/SATA3/etc). Once enabled...you should have another option when you boot up (it will ask if you want to enter Raid configuration/settings). You press what ever it tells you to...to enter the settings. You should enter a screen where you set up which hard drives are going to be raided together, the type of raid (Raid0/Raid1/Raid1+0/Raid5), size of the raid strip (32k/64k/128k), etc. Once you're done...you're ready to go.

Ill check this out once its shipped... Kinda pissed because its been almost a full 24 hours and newegg hasn't shipped it (bet their booked though but come on... wanna get it before Thursday)

Quote:


Originally Posted by pvp309rcp
View Post

Not sure what you mean about best way to reformat.

Basically I bought Hard-drive #1 about 3 months ago. Just bought HD #2 and I'm going to have to delete the stuff on HD#1 before I upgrade to a raid array... Just trying to figure out the best way to do this. actually now that I'm thinking about it... this things gonna be a real pain in the butt since win7 is an upgrade.

Quote:


Originally Posted by pvp309rcp
View Post

As for the last thing you want...I actually don't really understand you on that one. Are you just planning on copying, pasting, and overwriting your external backup on Monday and Thursday? If you want to set up something that will automatically do that for you then I don't think I could help you there
. You might have to just manually do that yourself with some decent organizing


I guess the best way to put it is that I need to sync files with my external HD... like mirroring my music folder with my external. but I'm not looking for "real time" mirroring... Just updates every few days (or every week).

But then i'm going to need other files (such as programing files, documents for example. Files or folders that I choose) to backup and create different names

for example lets say I want to backup file.doc

it would save the first time as "file - 11-28-09.doc" and the next time as
"file - 12-4-09.doc" instead of just replacing the outdated file.

I hope that better explains it..
See less See more
3
Quote:

Originally Posted by dudenell View Post
Basically I bought Hard-drive #1 about 3 months ago. Just bought HD #2 and I'm going to have to delete the stuff on HD#1 before I upgrade to a raid array... Just trying to figure out the best way to do this. actually now that I'm thinking about it... this things gonna be a real pain in the butt since win7 is an upgrade.
If you were looking to carry over the files on HD#1 to the new raid array you're about to make then I think you need software for that (for cloning maybe to your external)...btw I don't recommend this. I feel it's best to just reinstall when you create your raid array. If this isn't what you were talking about then you could just leave the drive as is. Just enable raid for HD#1 and the new drive you bought in the BIOS and create your raid array after since it's going to be reformatted anyway when you install windows.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dudenell View Post
I guess the best way to put it is that I need to sync files with my external HD... like mirroring my music folder with my external. but I'm not looking for "real time" mirroring... Just updates every few days (or every week).

But then i'm going to need other files (such as programing files, documents for example. Files or folders that I choose) to backup and create different names

for example lets say I want to backup file.doc

it would save the first time as "file - 11-28-09.doc" and the next time as
"file - 12-4-09.doc" instead of just replacing the outdated file.

I hope that better explains it..
Not sure if there is any easier way to do this except just keeping a record of the original files names and dates while renaming them once you back them up to your external.

Four of my external hard drives are direct copies/backups of my internal hard drives. What I do is I keep all my modified files in one folder in one of my internal hard drives which helps me keep track of any changes I made. Once I'm ready to update...I copy/replace the modified files to it's appropriate directory in my internal hard drives and then to my external hard drives. It may sound complicated but it works for me. I see all my internal hard drives as my main sources/original files/necessary changes. Then they are just backed up to my externals. I'm very paranoid as I know the feeling of losing and trying to regain all data back
See less See more
Quote:

Originally Posted by dudenell View Post
Ill check this out once its shipped... Kinda pissed because its been almost a full 24 hours and newegg hasn't shipped it (bet their booked though but come on... wanna get it before Thursday)
You might've purchased it 24 hours ago, but you do realize yesterday was a national holiday, correct? It's identical to purchasing it on a Sunday and isn't even considered a work day. I'd be willing to bet that your order wasn't even processed until this morning at the earliest.
See less See more
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top