Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok.. i still learning from reading here in this forum...

I started to play with my CPU...

I have an Asus P5GD1 motherboard that comes with This AI booster application to overclock the CPU from windows..

There is something i dont understand..
I did set up the Vcore in the bios to 1.40 v ... but the Ai booster app. reads 1.37 when the pc is folding.. and the VCore goes up to 1.43 if i close the [email protected] app and the machine cools down to iddle temps....
So.. shouldn't be 1.40v the limit? why is it going over?

The maximum i am getting my prescott 775 3ghz is 3.23ghz, with the external frequency set at 215mhz ... a little over and my pc locks. Using the stock Hs from intel... and now i am getting 62 degrees when folding.
So .. should i try to go higher with the Vcore?
Does the Vcore setting is the one that produces the higher heat in the CPU?
How can i trust the manually set vcore setting in the bios if later i will see higher readings in windows on the asus application?

And last question...
After reading that sticky thread about basic overclocking principles...
It says that you should be going 1:1 with the CPU/memory frequency...
so.. now my FSB in my CPU says 860mhz.. my memory i guess it could be overclocked higher.. i am not there yet because i dont have a clue about how to start OCing it... but my dual channel memory it is supposed to be running at 800 mhz...
then.. what about the motherboard???? aren't you forgetting this?.. the motherboard it is supposed to be running at 800mhz FSB to match the CPU and memory... but the mobo can not be OC right?.. then.. isn't the MOBO a bottleneck?.... someone please clear all these for me...
Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
This is all in the overclocking guide, but the basic principles are as follows:

1) Intel CPU's are quad-pumped internally. Intel's 800 mhz FSB is achieved on a 200 mhz system (motherboard) bus.

2) DDR RAM performs data transfers on both the rising and falling edge of the clock cycle. An effective DDR frequency of 400 mhz is achieved on a 200 mhz system (motherboard) bus.

So, a 800 mhz FSB CPU, running on conjunction with RAM set to DDR400 speeds will produce synchronous CPU:RAM operation. When I say "set to DDR400 speeds", you can have DDR1000 in the system, but it is only running at the speed of the system bus. Stock bus is 200 mhz. Once you increase the system bus to 201 mhz, you are effectively overclocking the CPU and the motherboard. Depending on the rated speed of the RAM, you may or may not be overclocking it yet (i.e. if you have DDR500 in you system, you are not technically overclocking it until you have pushed the system bus to 251 mhz
).

The bottom line is, overclocking through the BIOS is generally more effective than overclocking through Windows. Makes sure you have your AGP/PCI buses "fixed", "locked", or set to "66/33". And, if in 1:1 you determine that the CPU maxes out well below the limits of your RAM, then going to 3:4 may even offer a little bit better overall performance....but keep in mind that the highest system bus speeds are your ultimate goal.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks...
Didn't completely understand about those 200 mhz and all those numbers... but i guess i will later as i get more technical with this stuff...

One more thing.. you said that the pci bus must be locked.. and i have read that before somewhere else..

I got 2 options in my bios that are set to AUTO by default..

1. Pci Express Frequency Auto/ 90 to 150 number option
2. Pci clock synchronization mode Auto/33.33mhz/To CPU

So which one should i modify?
I would like to know what this setting does and why it is important when OCing..

Thanks again for your replies.

·
Banned
1,013 Posts
to lock the pci bus you would choose the second option and use 33.33mhz. unless you have a pci express gfx card you do not need to worry about number 1. if you have an agp gfx card then try to find another option similar to pci clock sync but for agp.

to clarify some of your questions further...
do not worry about the vcore fluctuating slightly, this is normal, it will change very regularly but always stay around 1.4. as noaffinity said the bios is more reliable than windows so go by that.

also be careful with your temps, 62 is quite hot so i would not alter the vcore much. what speed is your cpu fan running at because im not sure it should be running that hot without a change in vcore, but try asking others who have your processor.

and NO the mobo cannot be overclocked as such. im not exactly sure but when you change FSB you are changing how fast the cpu communicates with the RAM (or something along those lines). the mobo will never be a bottleneck, ur cpu temps will be the limiting factor.

i hope this clears some things up for you. what is the speed of your RAM so we know how far it can be pushed.

please rep if this helped

regards

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevo3
to lock the pci bus you would choose the second option and use 33.33mhz. unless you have a pci express gfx card you do not need to worry about number 1. if you have an agp gfx card then try to find another option similar to pci clock sync but for agp.

to clarify some of your questions further...
do not worry about the vcore fluctuating slightly, this is normal, it will change very regularly but always stay around 1.4. as noaffinity said the bios is more reliable than windows so go by that.

also be careful with your temps, 62 is quite hot so i would not alter the vcore much. what speed is your cpu fan running at because im not sure it should be running that hot without a change in vcore, but try asking others who have your processor.

and NO the mobo cannot be overclocked as such. im not exactly sure but when you change FSB you are changing how fast the cpu communicates with the RAM (or something along those lines). the mobo will never be a bottleneck, ur cpu temps will be the limiting factor.

i hope this clears some things up for you. what is the speed of your RAM so we know how far it can be pushed.

please rep if this helped

regards
Thank you Stevo..
My graphics card is pci express..
My memory is 1GB kingston kit dual channel... KVR400X64C3AK2/1G cas 3..
right now im running with the vcore setting set to auto in the bios.. and the memory stuff is on AUTO too..
I get the readings here in the picture attached.. i dont know where to start from playing with the memory.. this pic shows the machine on load with the [email protected] soft. Is it acceptable to say on LOAD by just running this software?.. i have tried also to run burning tests with Sandra and [email protected] at the same time.. but the temperature will not go higher than that.. 60, 61.

So.. going back to the motherboard thing...
I was thinking that the motherboard is lets say like a road that comunicates the cpu with the memory.. with a speed limit of 800 mhz (bus).
So.. ok.. you can make the cpu to run at higher bus.. and also the memory..
but then what does this to affect the motherboard chips to make this road bigger?...
i guess that my concepts are wrong and there is a big part here that i dont understand..

Last thing.. i saw memory heat spreaders for sale everywhere...
If i start OC the memory.. how do i know if they are getting hot or not?..
there is no temp monitor anywhere for the memory sticks huh? i guess it is not something to worry about..

Gluck!

LL

1 - 5 of 5 Posts