Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(Firstly sorry if my english is not good
) , and hello everyone
I have a few questions to the people that really know there stuff about Watercooling.
This is my current pc that I have built and moded about 2 years ago.

My "ATI" Gaming Rig (First post on page 6
)

So for my next build i want to get the TJ07 case, and for the parts i want to get the X58 motherboard, Intel i7 950 and about 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz Ram and a Radeon HD 6970.

And my questions are:

Will just one Dual 120mm radiator let me overclock the i7 950 to about 4Ghz?
(I want to get a Quad Radiator for the GPU so i only have space for a 120mm dual rad at the top for the CPU loop. I planned on getting a triple 120mm but I would have to do some modding to get it at the top of the TJ07)

Next question, Does the WC loop go like this: Res-->Pump-->CPU or GPU-->Rad-->res and the loop starts again?

What pump do i need to get? I heard a lot of people use the Swiftech's pump.

Another question, does the Pump has to be right next to the reservoir, because I have seen a lot of people having the Pump and Res as close as possible.

So these are all my questions, I would really appreciate if someone could answer my questions, Thanks

EDIT: sorry if this thread is in the wrong section, this forum is really big and I cant seem to find everything

·
Premium Member
3,710 Posts
Res>Pump>Rad>Block is best, pump just has to be below the res to make fillimg the loop easy (can't run the pump dry).

There's not much room in the roof of an '07, the only rad that fits is a GT Stealth with 25mm fans - and that leaves only 1-2mm against the mobo, it goes in without any real modding though, it should be good for 4GHz unless you need crazy voltage. A quad for your GFX is prolly overkill, I've done my 4870x2 on a double and its fine. A good tripple in the base and the GT stealth up top will be enough, I ran 2 loops of a shared res when I had my '07 - you could easily do it in 1 loop though. Personally I use D5 vario's, just for the silence.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
You'll want the res before the pump, but besides that you can put it where you like.

A 240 will be plenty for your i7. However, a 480 will be overkill for a GPU even if it is a crossfire set up.

·
Premium Member
3,185 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by iNs3CuRe
View Post

(Firstly sorry if my english is not good
) , and hello everyone
I have a few questions to the people that really know there stuff about Watercooling.
This is my current pc that I have built and moded about 2 years ago.

My "ATI" Gaming Rig (First post on page 6
)

So for my next build i want to get the TJ07 case, and for the parts i want to get the X58 motherboard, Intel i7 950 and about 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz Ram and a Radeon HD 6970.

And my questions are:

Will just one Dual 120mm radiator let me overclock the i7 950 to about 4Ghz?
(I want to get a Quad Radiator for the GPU so i only have space for a 120mm dual rad at the top for the CPU loop. I planned on getting a triple 120mm but I would have to do some modding to get it at the top of the TJ07)

Next question, Does the WC loop go like this: Res-->Pump-->CPU or GPU-->Rad-->res and the loop starts again?

What pump do i need to get? I heard a lot of people use the Swiftech's pump.

Another question, does the Pump has to be right next to the reservoir, because I have seen a lot of people having the Pump and Res as close as possible.

So these are all my questions, I would really appreciate if someone could answer my questions, Thanks

EDIT: sorry if this thread is in the wrong section, this forum is really big and I cant seem to find everything

1. It would be fine if you put them in the same loop, the 240 alone isn't enough. You don't really need it even, I have my GTX 480 and i7 920 @ 4.2 all on a TFC X-Changer 480. If you want you can throw in the 120 on the roof, but as I said, you don't need it.

2. If you want, you can also put the rad right after the pump. I don't think it will make much of a difference.

3. The Swiftechs are great. I would get an MCP 655 (with or without speed adjustment, that's up to you), or if you plan on adding motherboard and more graphics cards to the loop, then I'd get an MCP 355.

4. The pump has to be below the reservoir, other than that it doesn't matter how close/far away it is. Generally speaking, the less tubing the better though.

·
Premium Member
5,945 Posts
First of all, I would switch from an i7 to Sandy Bridge. A 2600k on water should be able to hit 4.7+ GHz easily, and at those speeds it will easily beat an i7 950 @ 4 GHz. For a motherboard get the ASUS P8P67 PRO.

For the main watercooling loop, I would keep the CPU and GPU in a single loop. There aren't any benefits to having a dual loop so you can save some money on pumps and reservoirs by sticking with a single loop. For the pump I would get the Swiftech MCP 355 and an XSPC Acetal Top for it (increases performance by about 40%).

The order that you place the watercooling components in a loop does not matter, so use whichever order requires the least amount of tubing. The only thing that does matter is that the reservoir should be placed before and directly above the pump, so that the water inside of it will feed the pump and prevent it from running dry. If you run the pump without water it will overheat and fail.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey, first of all big thAnks for the good and fast answers
smile.gif
i was planning to get this motherboard evga x58 sli because it fits my colour scheme and its good enough for me and not too expensive too
smile.gif
i will also look up the 2600k
biggrin.gif
also im planin on running 2 6970's in the future so thats where the quad rad idea came from
smile.gif

·
Premium Member
5,945 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNs3CuRe;11963677
Hey, first of all big thAnks for the good and fast answers
smile.gif
i was planning to get this motherboard evga x58 sli because it fits my colour scheme and its good enough for me and not too expensive too
smile.gif
i will also look up the 2600k
biggrin.gif
also im planin on running 2 6970's in the future so thats where the quad rad idea came from
smile.gif
You can't use the EVGA Board with a 2600k because the 2600k uses socket 1155. It's an entirely new architecture. The board I recommended is great and supports crossfire so it would be perfect for you.

With a 480 and 240 radiator in your loop you will easily be able to handle crossfire 6970s.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliehorse55;11963733
You can't use the EVGA Board with a 2600k because the 2600k uses socket 1155. It's an entirely new architecture. The board I recommended is great and supports crossfire so it would be perfect for you.

With a 480 and 240 radiator in your loop you will easily be able to handle crossfire 6970s.
I would get the evga board if i would get the i7 950
biggrin.gif
i posted a link because i forgot to mention this mobo in the first post
tongue.gif
now im just checking out the the prices for the 2600k and features of the mobo you talked about
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
91 Posts
1. Use the 480rad in the CPU loop. Your CPU is much more temperature sensitive than your GPU which is expected to run at higher temperatures.

2. If you're concerned about GPU temps, you can squeeze a 360 rad in the bottom along side the 480 (Not much room for the pump though, so if you were planning on having the pump and rads down below you'll have to consider moving the pump up to the drive bays). But honestly a 240 will be fine and will fit easily opposite the 480 rad (beside your psu).

3. It's ideal to have your reservoir draining directly into the pump (easy to prime the pump).

4. I have my single loop set as Res > Pump > Rad > CPU > GPU > back to res.

As for pumps, I would suggest a Swiftech MCP655 or MCP655b (difference is in the ability to control speed)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philth;11963894
1. Use the 480rad in the CPU loop. Your CPU is much more temperature sensitive than your GPU which is expected to run at higher temperatures.

2. If you're concerned about GPU temps, you can squeeze a 360 rad in the bottom along side the 480 (Not much room for the pump though, so if you were planning on having the pump and rads down below you'll have to consider moving the pump up to the drive bays). But honestly a 240 will be fine and will fit easily opposite the 480 rad (beside your psu).
i am on a similar path to iNs3CuRe except i have already got a 2500k with a Z68 board.. the CPU runs fine on a GTStealth240.. but the HD6970 runs a load temp of 90`c (no wc hooked up yet).. i'm thinking a 480rad would be better for the gpu not the cpu?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts