Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Ultra wide wide wide.....
Joined
·
5,277 Posts
Just use anti-freeze. It does the same job and is cheaper. 50-100 CC per liter is the usual amount of anti-freeze I add to my loops.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post

Just use anti-freeze. It does the same job and is cheaper. 50-100 CC per liter is the usual amount of anti-freeze I add to my loops.
Thanks for suggesting. But I have no other option than this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post

Just use anti-freeze. It does the same job and is cheaper. 50-100 CC per liter is the usual amount of anti-freeze I add to my loops.
Antifreeze is not a biocide. It's used in vehicles to lower the freezing point and prevent corrosion. But vehicles rely on heat to prevent growth in the cooling system. Algae is more than happy to grow in antifreeze. While great for preventing corrosion, don't count on it to prevent algae growth.

As for the fish tank biocide, it should work fine. Check the ingredients. You're looking for something with copper sulfate (CuSO4). Although flushing your loop with fresh distilled water at least quarterly would probably work just as well if you don't want to deal with additives.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelHell View Post

Antifreeze is not a biocide. It's used in vehicles to lower the freezing point and prevent corrosion. But vehicles rely on heat to prevent growth in the cooling system. Algae is more than happy to grow in antifreeze. While great for preventing corrosion, don't count on it to prevent algae growth.

As for the fish tank biocide, it should work fine. Check the ingredients. You're looking for something with copper sulfate (CuSO4). Although flushing your loop with fresh distilled water at least quarterly would probably work just as well if you don't want to deal with additives.
I am not sure. It is not written on the bottle just the dosage and stuff. I guess I have to try it myself.
 

·
Ultra wide wide wide.....
Joined
·
5,277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelHell View Post

Antifreeze is not a biocide. It's used in vehicles to lower the freezing point and prevent corrosion. But vehicles rely on heat to prevent growth in the cooling system. Algae is more than happy to grow in antifreeze. While great for preventing corrosion, don't count on it to prevent algae growth.
Incorrect. Anti-freeze is poison. It kills everything in the loop. Daz from Dazmode confirmed this, and he knows a thing or two about watercooling.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post

Incorrect. Anti-freeze is poison. It kills everything in the loop. Daz from Dazmode confirmed this, and he knows a thing or two about watercooling.
Correct. Antifreeze is poisonous...for people, mammals. Our livers process ethylene glycol like alcohol which does all sorts of bad things. It is not a biocide and several types of algae and molds will happily grow in it. I'm sure Daz and many other people have had plenty of luck using antifreeze in their system, just like plenty of people have gotten away with using tap water. But just because one person got lucky doesn't mean everyone will. Watch Linus Tech Tips videos on his whole room water cooling. He had a res full of black growth living quite happily in his antifreeze.
 

·
Ultra wide wide wide.....
Joined
·
5,277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelHell View Post

Correct. Antifreeze is poisonous...for people, mammals. Our livers process ethylene glycol like alcohol which does all sorts of bad things. It is not a biocide and several types of algae and molds will happily grow in it. I'm sure Daz and many other people have had plenty of luck using antifreeze in their system, just like plenty of people have gotten away with using tap water. But just because one person got lucky doesn't mean everyone will. Watch Linus Tech Tips videos on his whole room water cooling. He had a res full of black growth living quite happily in his antifreeze.
Again, incorrect. It's poisonous to all types of living organism. I wouldn't get my info from LTT. They know as much about tech as your average Apple user.

And I wouldn't call years of experience "getting lucky". I'd rather ask someone that's been in the business since the beginning rather than a wanna be Zuckerberg.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post

Again, incorrect. It's poisonous to all types of living organism. I wouldn't get my info from LTT. They know as much about tech as your average Apple user.

And I wouldn't call years of experience "getting lucky". I'd rather ask someone that's been in the business since the beginning rather than a wanna be Zuckerberg.
I don't get my info from LTT, just an example of antifreeze in a water cooling system with algae growing in it. But hey, believe what you want to believe. But I'll be using copper sulfate and silver in my loop.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,274 Posts
I know antifreeze has been used for a while by water coolers, mainly because there wasn't a lot of other options in the past, but in today's world of water cooling products there are plenty of biocides made specifically for PC water cooling loops. I just don't see a reason to use antifreeze anymore, or even a kill coil for that matter, imo they're old school.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,210 Posts
Funny thing is....

Many of our commercial PC coolants are still actually glycol based which most people do not realise.

So it is not related to old school users.

Primary use of glycol based antifreeze coolant is to protect against corrosion. This is why the majority of AIO's utilise the same - they will run for years without requiring any mtce in relation to algae or corrosion issues.

Algae growth is pretty much a non event in a pre-cleaned system using distilled water...

Mixing in some antifreeze keeps corrosion at bay.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costas View Post

Funny thing is....

Many of our commercial PC coolants are still actually glycol based which most people do not realise.

So it is not related to old school users.

Primary use of glycol based antifreeze coolant is to protect against corrosion.

Algae growth is pretty much a non event in a pre-cleaned system using distilled water...

Mixing in some antifreeze keeps corrosion at bay.
This. Sort of...
Most commercial PC coolants (sold by the bottle, either premix or concentrate) actually don't use ethylene glycol, although there are exceptions (Mayhems XT-1). Most sealed loop or all-in-one coolers do use ethylene glycol. The reason for this is the cheaper all-in-ones still use aluminum radiators. Aluminum is very high up on the galvanic scale (anodic). When combined with copper (cathodic) and an electrolyte (coolant) you get galvanic corrosion. When choosing metals for your loop you should check the galvanic series tables. The further apart the metals are on the list the faster corrosion will occur. Most of the higher end liquid cooling parts manufacturers take this into account. That is why we only have copper, brass and nickle for the most part. Although stainless steel would probably be okay too. All these metals are very close to each other in the series and will take the longest to corrode.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,210 Posts
Swiftech's Hydryx is another which utilise ethylene glycol. In fact they will not honour warranties on their gear unless their coolant is used.

Thing is that these products contain ethelyne glycol primarily for corrosion protection.

It is also fact that corrosion problems can occur even in high end systems as mixed metal issues are present even when using known high end products which primarily contain copper, brass, nickel etc.

Take our so called all copper rads for instance. These contain solder yet solder is an alloy consisting of tin, lead and a few other metals which can be starting point for corrosion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costas View Post

Swiftech's Hydryx is another which utilise ethylene glycol. In fact they will not honour warranties on their gear unless their coolant is used.

Thing is that these products contain ethelyne glycol primarily for corrosion protection.

It is also fact that corrosion problems can occur even in high end systems as mixed metal issues are present even when using known high end products which primarily contain copper, brass, nickel etc.

Take our so called all copper rads for instance. These contain solder yet solder is an alloy consisting of tin, lead and a few other metals which can be starting point for corrosion.
You are absolutely correct! Although corrosion is still a much bigger problem when you throw aluminum in the mix. And Swiftech's Hydryx 2 is all non-toxic goodness without the ethylene glycol just in case anyone cares.
biggrin.gif
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top