Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the Cooler Master 690. Would installing aditional case fans drop my CPU temperature even further? Currently I just have two fans that came with the case. Any recommendations? Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Any recommendations for case fans would be appreciated. I'd like one that is powerful, moderate to low on noise, and if possible blue.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,294 Posts
top mounted exhaust helped the most in terms of temps in my experiances. Most of the time though unless you have one of the newer, and more expensive cases, this requires drilling and cutting to mount the fan.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,440 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Master Chief View Post
says stock.. .

That's for GPU not CPU
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,479 Posts
Hello.


You should see a fairly significant drop in temperatures with the addition of more, and more powerful case fans.

If I had to make a suggestion, I would recommend the Zalman F3 fans. They're great in terms of CFM/dBa ratio (I have two, they're VERY quiet) and their static pressure (how well the fan pushes air through things like heatsink fins, or mesh on cases) is quite impressive for a 120 x 25mm fan.

They're my personal choice. They come in a few colours.



Edit: You will not just notice a decrease in CPU temperatures; your motherboard's north bridge, and the GPU, etc. should notice a significant drop too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:


Originally Posted by meticadpa
View Post

Hello.


You should see a fairly significant drop in temperatures with the addition of more, and more powerful case fans.

If I had to make a suggestion, I would recommend the Zalman F3 fans. They're great in terms of CFM/dBa ratio (I have two, they're VERY quiet) and their static pressure (how well the fan pushes air through things like heatsink fins, or mesh on cases) is quite impressive for a 120 x 25mm fan.

They're my personal choice. They come in a few colours.



Edit: You will not just notice a decrease in CPU temperatures; your motherboard's north bridge, and the GPU, etc. should notice a significant drop too.

Deactivated item on Newegg it looks like
any other recommendations?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,479 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Cretz
View Post

Deactivated item on Newegg it looks like
any other recommendations?

There are places other than Newegg.


I don't know of many American hardware/computer retailers (I'm British, in case you haven't noticed) so I'm sure that you will be able to find some somewhere.

 

·
Not new to Overclock.net
Joined
·
77,827 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Cretz
View Post

Deactivated item on Newegg it looks like
any other recommendations?

If the Zalman F3 is really that good, then persistence pays off:

My Google Shopping search results for "zalman F3":

http://www.google.com/products?q=zalman+f3&hl=en&aq=f
 

·
Not new to Overclock.net
Joined
·
77,827 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by meticadpa
View Post

TwoCables to the rescue as always.



Just as I was about to post this
.

hehehe well I saw this in OCN Live, and my first thought was "but Newegg isn't the only trustworthy online retailer".
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,479 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Cretz
View Post

What about this one? Has a lot of positive reviews, high CFM, and according to the reviews not as noisy as it says in the specifications.

They're... loud as hell. Really loud.

They push a good amount of air though. If you can stand the noise, then they worth getting... maybe.

You're going to have clearance issues, though. They're 38mm thick as opposed to 25mm thick fans, which are pretty much the standard. I've not used the CM690 case, so I can't know if you will be able to fit these fans or not.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:


Originally Posted by meticadpa
View Post

They're... loud as hell. Really loud.

They push a good amount of air though. If you can stand the noise, then they worth getting... maybe.

You're going to have clearance issues, though. They're 38mm thick as opposed to 25mm thick fans, which are pretty much the standard. I've not used the CM690 case, so I can't know if you will be able to fit these fans or not.



Ah, didn't notice that. What about this instead then? Again I just want something that'll cool things off a lot and moderate on the noise. Im just looking at the top sellers and filtering down form there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,440 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Cretz
View Post

I have this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835186134

So two of what allenkane linked me would be great for me?

Edit: after reading the reviews it seems a lot of people are complaining about it being loud..

I own 2 of them and they can be heard at full speed but at full speed they push a ton of air. Those Scythe fans, at 37.00 dBA or higher, you linked are going to be A LOT louder (ridiculously loud, don't even think about those if you're a quiet enthusiast). You could use the 3 pin connectors on the R4s to connect to your mobo and control it using Speedfan or something.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:


Originally Posted by allenkane
View Post

I own 2 of them and they can be heard at full speed but at full speed they push a ton of air. Those Scythe fans, at 37.00 dBA or higher, you linked are going to be A LOT louder (ridiculously loud, don't even think about those if you're a quiet enthusiast). You could use the 3 pin connectors on the R4s to connect to your mobo and control it using Speedfan or something.

Alright, I'll take your world for it and order 2 of those since they do have blue LEDs
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,440 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Cretz
View Post

Alright, I'll take your world for it and order 2 of those since they do have blue LEDs

I guess sound just matters on opinion. There's a lot of reviews that say it's really quiet and other that say it's too loud. Mesh/grills on a case will make fans louder in general and I think that might be a problem for some.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top