Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there. If you could answer these questions then that would be fantastic.

1. What is the best EK Supreme HF block to go with, as there are quite a few to choose from. If the differences are minimal then i'll go with the acetal and nickel I was looking at.

2. Are the threaded holes on components (for fittings) all the same size, making fittings universal.

3. When a fitting, a barb for example, states the measurement of 1/2, is that the size of the ID of the tubing it's compatible with?

4. Opinions on this radiator? - http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/XSPC-...mance-Radiator
It is to be used with the 120mm White LED Xigmateks.

5. I will look into blocks a little more, what are exactly the differences between the LT and the HF?How is this parts list that I have come up with...

6. What size barbs would you recommend for 1/2 ID 3/4 OD tubing?

7. How is this parts list that I have come up with...

Thanks!

That's all for now, will update if needed.

·
Premium Member
5,092 Posts
Quote:
1. What is the best EK Supreme HF block to go with, as there are quite a few to choose from. If the differences are minimal then i'll go with the acetal and nickel I was looking at.
Can't say for sure as I don't have any experience with these blocks, although its probably just for aesthetic purposes.

Quote:
2.Are the threaded holes on components (for fittings) all the same size, making fittings universal.
Yes, you will be extremely hard pressed to find one that does not match G1/4 threads. They are universally designed.

Quote:
3.When a fitting, a barb for example, states the measurement of 1/2, is that the size of the ID of the tubing it's compatible with?
Yes, that is correct. Some people prefer to get slightly smaller tubing then wrestle it on their fittings for an extremely snug fit. Me? I'm fine with matching sizes.

·
Unwilling Beta tester
7,188 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crooksy View Post
Full Nickel is a better performer, comparison here, although if you don't consider the extra 0.8C to be worth the money then the Supreme HF Nickel + Acetal is fine.

Quote:

2.Are the threaded holes on components (for fittings) all the same size, making fittings universal.
Generally all components now have a G1/4 thread (also called a 1/4" BSPP thread), this is pretty much universal.

Quote:

3.When a fitting, a barb for example, states the measurement of 1/2, is that the size of the ID of the tubing it's compatible with?
Yes, the 1/2" is the ID.

You need to match the ID of the barb to the ID of the tube, with the exception of 7/16" ID tube. With that size you can also use 1/2" barbs and stretch the tubing over the barb for a tight fit which does not require clamps. Heat the end in some boiling water or with a hair-dryer to help get it on.

• Rep+
Reactions: Crooksy

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
1. Any of them will do, by this point it's just how you want it to look.
2. 99.9% of the time they are all G1/4 fittings, those are standard, and any standard fitting/block will have those.
3. Yes. If a fitting is 1/2", then that means that it'll fit inside 1/2" ID tubing.

·
Premium Member
7,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the comments so far. +reps awarded.

New questions and pic!

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by GingerJohn View Post
Full Nickel is a better performer, comparison here, although if you don't consider the extra 0.8C to be worth the money then the Supreme HF Nickel + Acetal is fine.
Ginger is correct, the tops DO matter in performance. If you're a temperature nut then that .8c matters.

·
Premium Member
7,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by charliehorse55 View Post
One thing to note is that two 1/2" ID 3/4" OD hoses going into a Full Metal version of the Supreme HF may be tight, especially if you want to add hose clamps.
Hmmm, i may have to look into this. I will be using the low profile clips pictured in the parts list above.

·
Unwilling Beta tester
7,188 Posts
4. The RX360 is a great radiator for low and medium speed fans (<1400RPM), it falls a little short of other rads at higher speeds. See Skinnee's rad comparison for details.

5. You don't need 8 barbs, the pump has built in 1/2" barbs, otherwise it looks good. Add a killcoil or some PT Nuke and you are set.

·
Premium Member
5,945 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crooksy
View Post

Hmmm, i may have to look into this. I will be using the low profile clips pictured in the parts list above.

You should be able to fit them on, it might just be a tight squeeze requiring some tricky wiggling and elbow grease.

·
Registered
641 Posts
you shouldnt use 1/2" barbs with 1/2" ID tubing, i always use 1/2" OD so it goes on real tight and doesnt need hose clips.
i have a simular loop to what you have in the list, radiator is good but fast loud fans dont change the temps.
also the barbs on the pump are quite hard to get the tubing over, but you can buy an ek actel top for it that allows you to use your own barbs its not totaly necessary though.

for the waterblock everybody is going on about this: http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/EK-Su...k-for-AMDIntel
there is also a cheaper copper version but if you look around you can get similar performance from a much cheaper waterblock.
i got the "ek supreme lt" cos it looks cool and i havnt seen a difference in temps from when i had a heatkiller 3.0 it was way cheaper too.

·
Premium Member
7,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Originally Posted by charliehorse55 View Post
You should be able to fit them on, it might just be a tight squeeze requiring some tricky wiggling and elbow grease.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ironcobra220 View Post
you shouldnt use 1/2" barbs with 1/2" ID tubing, i always use 1/2" OD so it goes on real tight and doesnt need hose clips.
i have a simular loop to what you have in the list, radiator is good but fast loud fans dont change the temps.
also the barbs on the pump are quite hard to get the tubing over, but you can buy an ek actel top for it that allows you to use your own barbs its not totaly necessary though.

for the waterblock everybody is going on about this: http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/EK-Su...k-for-AMDIntel
there is also a cheaper copper version but if you look around you can get similar performance from a much cheaper waterblock.
i got the "ek supreme lt" cos it looks cool and i havnt seen a difference in temps from when i had a heatkiller 3.0 it was way cheaper too.
What size barbs would you recommend for 1/2 ID 3/4 OD tubing? I will look into blocks a little more, what are exactly the differences between the LT and the HF?

·
Unwilling Beta tester
7,188 Posts
Quote:

What size barbs would you recommend for 1/2 ID 3/4 OD tubing? I will look into blocks a little more, what are exactly the differences between the LT and the HF?
For 1/2" tubing use 1/2" barbs and clamps. I don't think you can get bigger barbs easily, and they are not needed. I have seen 7/16" tubing used with 1/2" barbs and it provides a good seal, but you will be fine with the same size tubing - barbs and clamps.

The LT is more restrictive (bad) and not as good a thermal performer (also bad) than the HF. There is a comparison of them here. It is actually the review for the Koolance CPU-360, but it gives results for the other blocks too.

Edit: Another comparison here. Note the XSPC Rasa, it is a good performer and is relatively cheap. Only comes with Intel mounting hardware though, if you ever plan on using it with and AMD platform you will need the extra mounting kit.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ironcobra220 View Post
to say he shouldn't use 1/2 ID tubing with 1/2 barbs is stupid, it's about personal preference if he wants to use 7/16 ID tubing with 1/2 barbs.

·
Premium Member
7,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

Originally Posted by GingerJohn
View Post

For 1/2" tubing use 1/2" barbs and clamps. I don't think you can get bigger barbs easily, and they are not needed. I have seen 7/16" tubing used with 1/2" barbs and it provides a good seal, but you will be fine with the same size tubing - barbs and clamps.

The LT is more restrictive (bad) and not as good a thermal performer (also bad) than the HF. There is a comparison of them here. It is actually the review for the Koolance CPU-360, but it gives results for the other blocks too.

Edit: Another comparison here. Note the XSPC Rasa, it is a good performer and is relatively cheap. Only comes with Intel mounting hardware though, if you ever plan on using it with and AMD platform you will need the extra mounting kit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JE Nightmare
View Post

to say he shouldn't use 1/2 ID tubing with 1/2 barbs is stupid, it's about personal preference if he wants to use 7/16 ID tubing with 1/2 barbs.

Thanks for the comparisons and what not. Very helpful. Yeah, I don't mind going with clamps aswell. So I think I will stick with the 1/2 barbs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts