Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how everyone else is doing with the 5850 on Final Fantasy 14. I'm frustrated somewhat. Getting some video lag when running around. And seeing some horizontal artifacts.

1920x1280
4xAA
Buffer: Resolution
Shadow: High
Ambient Occlusion: On
Depth of Field: On
Texture Quality: High
Texture Filtering: High

I think what I'm going to do is turn everything off with 4xAA turned on. And then slowly turn each one on until I see the issues. I'll check back with some results later.

Rig in sig.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
I'm running 2 5850s in crossfire on fullscreen mode so our results will differ, but I'm running at 60fps anywhere outside of town. In town it's lower, but that's to be expected. Here's what I'm running in the config program:

1920x1080 Fullscreen
4x MSAA (Used to use 8xQ, but didn't really notice that big of a difference)
Buffer Size: Resolution
Shadow Detail: Highest
Ambient Occlusion: Off (I read that this setting is buggy in game and causes slow downs, so I don't use it)
Depth of Field: On
Texture Quality: High
Texture Filtering: Highest

Again, this is with an overclocked crossfire setup, so our results will be quite different. Also, I use RadeonPro to force VSync and triple buffering as well as a few other tweaks; this gave my fps a nice boost from ~45 to 60 outside of towns.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My settings are the same as yours. I've seeing some horizontal artifacting. They still have an issue where your name bounces over your head when your running which is annoying as hell.

I do not have crossfire but I have read that it is either not working or not working at 100%.

I would like to know what you're running to see your fps. Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
RadeonPro has its own fps display, just like FRAPS, so I can monitor my fps in game. It's one helluva program. I would recommend that you download it and force VSync as well as triple buffering. VSync will stop the screen tearing that you're experiencing by synchronizing your fps to your monitor's refresh rate and triple buffering will also help in regards to performance. If you decide to try it, I can help you with the settings you should be tweaking and where they are located.

Speaking of Crossfire: both GPUs are active in full screen mode and a program like RadeonPro actually gets the best out of them due to forcing the aforementioned graphical enhancements that would otherwise not be available in game. Same goes for a single card setup.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
yea, use ffxivgame.exe as your profile
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClockFiend View Post
yea, use ffxivgame.exe as your profile
Something must not be set right because when I'm entering the game it shows an fps of 400-500. Then as soon as the game starts it shoots up to 999 and never changes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
Yea, the new version is screwed up with the fps... I'm not sure what the older version was. You might have to disable the fps display on radeonpro and use fraps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm still getting tearing. Can you give me a run down of all your settings on RadeonPro?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
Sure thing.

In "Advanced" I have Force Triple Buffering, Catalyst AI to Advanced, and Mipmap Quality to Quality.

In "Tweaks" I have VSync control to Force On and Force Triple Buffering.

I have a couple other things too, but they're Crossfire specific. To turn off the broken fps monitor and use FRAPS, go into your settings and select Hidden.

Hope that helps
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fanofou View Post
Ambient Occlusion needs to be turned off, it causes a ton of problems for people.
Yup. Also stated in my initial response.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Roofus View Post
Just wondering how everyone else is doing with the 5850 on Final Fantasy 14. I'm frustrated somewhat. Getting some video lag when running around. And seeing some horizontal artifacts.

1920x1280
4xAA
Buffer: Resolution
Shadow: High
Ambient Occlusion: On
Depth of Field: On
Texture Quality: High
Texture Filtering: High

I think what I'm going to do is turn everything off with 4xAA turned on. And then slowly turn each one on until I see the issues. I'll check back with some results later.

Rig in sig.

Yep,same thing here.Ocassional horizontal artifact,but not tearing.
Wish my problem was as tolerable as what's talked about here.

Mine is still the random crashing with the "windows is searching" comment.
ffxiv.exe is faulting module.
Weird thing is I haven't had the problem for almost 2 weeks,then it started again last night.
I did go to driver 10.8 during closed beta,but never ran driver sweeper before
updating.
Guess I'll try that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:


Originally Posted by ClockFiend
View Post

Sure thing.

In "Advanced" I have Force Triple Buffering, Catalyst AI to Advanced, and Mipmap Quality to Quality.

In "Tweaks" I have VSync control to Force On and Force Triple Buffering.

I have a couple other things too, but they're Crossfire specific. To turn off the broken fps monitor and use FRAPS, go into your settings and select Hidden.

Hope that helps

Like this?





 

·
Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
Yea that looks mostly like mine. Not sure what "Disable Aero" does, but I have it disabled. Also, my vertical sync option in the visual tab is grayed out. Your mileage may vary.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:


Originally Posted by ClockFiend
View Post

Yea that looks mostly like mine. Not sure what "Disable Aero" does, but I have it disabled. Also, my vertical sync option in the visual tab is grayed out. Your mileage may vary.

Disable Aero should be turning off Aero Desktop effects stuff in Win7.

I still get horizontal tearing with all of this stuff.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Roofus View Post
I've seeing some horizontal artifacting. They still have an issue where your name bounces over your head when your running which is annoying as hell.
I'm in the same boat as you. The name bouncing is giving me freaking headaches and the tearing isn't helping either.

I'm using a gtx 470 in 1920x1080 windowed on dual monitors.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:


Originally Posted by Yanshi
View Post

I'm in the same boat as you. The name bouncing is giving me freaking headaches and the tearing isn't helping either.

I'm using a gtx 470 in 1920x1080 windowed on dual monitors.

Windowed on dual monitors is killing me. I heard rumor they are working on a dual screen mode. Not sure if that is to give full screen while providing access to your other stuff on the second screen or a true dual screen resolution.

I'm surprised to here your complaints with an Nvidia card. But what else is new with this game. It's a total love-hate experience.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
After tying several different things (card settings and game settings) the only one that seemed to work for me was to turn Ambient Occlusion on and murder my frame rate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
I'm getting the horizontal artifacts as well - V-Sync forced on isn't helping.

Crossfire 5850's - Any suggestions?
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top