Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the BFG 1200Watt PSU and have a question about loading.

I have the system below in my sig. I want to make sure that I have the PSU balanced correctly. It has 4 +12V rails, I don't have a large system but am doing folding so i have a constant GPU and CPU load. Does the BFG have internal load balancing?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817702015

For any one else who has this PSU, how do you have the PSU balanced, i.e. what do you have running of what to keep the 4 rails balanced.

·
Premium Member
16,520 Posts
Load balancing isn't what you think it is. Rails are just groups of wires monitored by an over current protection circuit, which shuts the PSU down if the current going through those wires goes over a certain amount.

If your PSU isn't shutting down under load then the OCP isn't being tripped, and that's it. No load balancing required.

• Rep+
Reactions: Magus2727

·
Premium Member
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool, Thanks

I am fighting down a random restart when I have both my GPU and CPU folding, and it was mentioned that I would want to check out the PSU... with me having more then enough power I thought it may be from balancing, I have heard that the power quality can be effected if one rail is loaded more then the others due to unbalancing of impedances.

·
Premium Member
16,520 Posts
Nope, not really. Impedance... Nope. First, impedance only applies to alternating current, not the direct current that the PSU is providing. The DC equivalent is resistance, and that has a negligible effect, and actually isn't increased in any way by how the power is distributed.

I assume you've checked for obvious things like overheating, or just unstable clocks. Run Memtest86+ on your RAM, and make sure all connections are good. Try running your GPU on PCIe cables from a different rail if you want, shouldn't make a difference. Could be a bad unit... You were the guy choosing between the EX-1200 and the Z850M right?

·
Premium Member
16,520 Posts
Yeah, someone else then.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Magus2727 View Post
I have the BFG 1200Watt PSU and have a question about loading.

I have the system below in my sig. I want to make sure that I have the PSU balanced correctly. It has 4 +12V rails
The modular PCIe plugs each have their own rail.

The fixed PCIe plugs share a rail with the 8-pin CPU and the 4-pin CPU plugs.

The 4+4-pin CPU, all SATA, all floppy, all peripheral and the main 20+4 pin are on one rail.

The EX-1200 has OCP. If it was being tripped, it would shut down, not reboot your computer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts