Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my main computer that I want to get my music and movies off of. Is there anyway to do a file transfer through a router to get the files ?

source computer is 64-bit Vista Home Premium
destination computer is 32-bit XP Media Center Edition

any help would be greatly appriciated, thanks

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Just set up a shared folder...

·
Premium Member
6,373 Posts
Just put them on the same workgroup.

Rightclick on "My Computer" or "Computer" and select "Properties"

On Vista, click on "Change Settings" Highlighted in Red to Give the menu Highlighted in Blue. Then click "Change" To get the menu Highlighted in green. Then just type in whatever name you want to call your workgroup.

Do the same thing for the XP Machine. Reboot both.

Click on "My Network Places" and you should see both machines and any shared folders. Make sure you do set the folders to be shared as well.

·
Introibo Ad Altar Dei
2,066 Posts
Yeah, sometimes it doesn't work though. You need to get a special Protocol that you can DL from the Microsoft website for XP to talk to Vista on a shared workgroup, I ran into this problem before. It was working for a little while, then just stopped. It's finnicky, keep us updated on the status of it, I'd like to know if you get the shares running permanently.

·
Premium Member
6,373 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Atomagenesis View Post
Yeah, sometimes it doesn't work though. You need to get a special Protocol that you can DL from the Microsoft website for XP to talk to Vista on a shared workgroup, I ran into this problem before. It was working for a little while, then just stopped. It's finnicky, keep us updated on the status of it, I'd like to know if you get the shares running permanently.
I have never heard of this problem or ever had this problem. In fact, I've had drives shared from my Windows XP machine to Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 2000 without ever having a problem.

·
Registered
707 Posts
You should be able to share between vista/xp. I've set up a bunch of xp file servers that vista connects to without issue. Or you could always mstsc and just play the music directly from the other pc.

I bet you can get share folder working though. I even pointed all the my pics/music/movies/downloads etc at the same network drive on an xp computer from all the systems in a house.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts