Overclock.net banner

Finally 12C idle on air! now i can't feel my toes! :D

2K views 44 replies 17 participants last post by  king_play334 
#1 ·
So as i type, i cannot feel my fingers. the current temp outside is about 2C. I thought i'd just see how cold i could get my computer tonight. I got it down to 12C but it was far away from all the windows and doors. Next week i'll put it closer to the door and then do another run. here's the screen cap for proof:

I didn't run Prime95 becuase i just felt way too cold!
Now if you don't mind im going to go set my toes and finger tips on fire. my basement is a walkout basement and currently at 4C.

See less See more
#5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by kow_ciller View Post
Going to do some benching at those temps?

Reminds me when one of the guys I know set up his rig on his porch in the middle of the night in winter to do some benching on air.

I should on my driveway. lol. but im worried about condensation, how do i prevent that? once i know that the minute it dips to -10C im going to move my rig outside and haul ass. lool.

#6 ·
I really want to go outside on one of those mornings when it is -20F with a laptop and set it on the sidewalk, see how cold the CPU runs
Great thing about living in a really dry climate, condensation is not too much of a concern (<5% humidity in winter)

#7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrfajita
View Post

I really want to go outside on one of those mornings when it is -20F with a laptop and set it on the sidewalk, see how cold the CPU runs
Great thing about living in a really dry climate, condensation is not too much of a concern (<5% humidity in winter)

brb. putting laptop on patio!

#8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by king_play334
View Post

I should on my driveway. lol. but im worried about condensation, how do i prevent that? once i know that the minute it dips to -10C im going to move my rig outside and haul ass. lool.

If you take the entire rig outside and wait ~20 minutes for it to equalize to the same temperature as everything else, you shouldn't have a problem. Condensation only occurs when there is one part cooler than room temperature

#9 ·
Quote:

View Post

There wont be any condensation. Its like putting a soda in a fridge, theres no condensation when you put it in there and its cold, but when you warm it up quickly the condensation comes. Just let it sit for a few mins before you take the rig inside. But if you're really worried you could put kneaded eraser around the CPU socket to prevent condensation.

#11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by rpgman1
View Post

If I did that, I would literally shiver from the extreme cold. At least it is the easiest way to cool your PC. Trying to overclock like liquid nitrogen then? Can I see some pictures at least in your attempt to cool the PC outside?

sure, i just put it out on the old BBQ. i'll go take pics now.

edit: just went to go check on it. the temps are pretty crappy becuase the CPU fan on the lappy has quite a bit of dust in it. I guess we'll have to see some super cool temps on it later. but im going to upload those pics in a sec.

#15 ·
Quote:

View Post

Those temps. on the screen look like regular temps. for a laptop. Rep to you for attempting it outside and on a BBQ rack. Maybe you can try to get the laptop exposed somehow on the CPU and GPU to see if it does get cooler?

thank you. I will clean it out sometime this week and get both my sig rig, this laptop outside on the driveway for some sick benchmarks.

#16 ·
Quote:

View Post

Those temps. on the screen look like regular temps. for a laptop. Rep to you for attempting it outside and on a BBQ rack. Maybe you can try to get the laptop exposed somehow on the CPU and GPU to see if it does get cooler?

I have to sit outside with it. its currently -2C outside and im in socks, PJ's and a hoodie. lol

#17 ·
Quote:

View Post

I have to sit outside with it. its currently -2C outside and im in socks, PJ's and a hoodie. lol

Why do you have to sit outside with your laptop? You might as well dressed up in layers or you might be afraid that somebody might steal your laptop for your experiment.

#18 ·
Quote:

View Post

Why do you have to sit outside with your laptop? You might as well dressed up in layers or you might be afraid that somebody might steal your laptop for your experiment.

lol, no actually there's squirrels and stuff outside. I don't want them to consider a laptop a toy.

#23 ·
I should do this. It's about 28 degrees outside (-3c). I'd have to seal off my room though, and that would take allloot of work.

What I might actually do is wait for a night where it's 10-15 degrees out and see whats what then. Should I have to worry about condensation at that point? Should I get a dehumidifier and put it in my room?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.