Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Arctic Silver 5 really helped.

I removed the stock thermal compound and applied Arctic Silver 5 on the Dark Knight heatsink plate. I made sure that all gaps are covered. The Dark Knight heatsink design is a direct pipe contact with the cpu so there is some gap between the pipe and the plate. It is important that thermal paste fills all those gaps.

My cpu overclocked at 4Ghz now idles between 40C and 45C. Under full load with Prime 95 test for 15 minutes, the cores stay under 80C.

They used to idle around 50C and reach 100C under load.

·
Registered
855 Posts
ouch 100C!?

well im glad you can achieve 4Ghz with much better temps, for the future try to keep any temps under 80C becuase above that you put your chip at risk.

·
Data Recovery Engineer
20,225 Posts
Um that seems still too high. Go and get some IC7 man. Much, MUCH better but harder to apply since it cannot be spread like AS5....

Also what fan do you have on your DK? Stock fan? IF you do get an ultra kaze 2K or 3k. They move much more air but a little louder and you should see some better temps. Maybe a 2-3C drop maybe more.

·
STG3 VET
13,127 Posts
did you use this method
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.ph...1&limitstart=5

Quote:

For my final application method, two short lines measuring half the total length of the processor were placed on the two center mounting base partitions. Keep in mind that for this method, as well as the others, it is important to fill the channels level with thermal compound so that the the additional material may spread somewhat unrestricted to the edges

OCZ freeze is better, no burn in time
AS5 has a 200hr burn in time

·
Banned
880 Posts
I would get a new cooler and better tim. I prefer OCZ freeze, MX-2, IC7, Shin Etsu. You might also consider getting a TRUE or Megatron or IFX-14.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Juggalo23451
View Post

did you use this method
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.ph...1&limitstart=5

OCZ freeze is better, no burn in time
AS5 has a 200hr burn in time

i just filled all gaps. i didn't sand or anything. I may have applied a little excessive thermal paste on there but its better safe than sorry.

Explain "AS5 has a 200hr burn in time"?

·
Data Recovery Engineer
20,225 Posts
Personally I would go with the Megahalem. Then put 2 Ulra Kaze 3Ks on there and some IC7 or MX-2.

·
STG3 VET
13,127 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomboy
View Post

i just filled all gaps. i didn't sand or anything. I may have applied a little excessive thermal paste on there but its better safe than sorry.

Explain "AS5 has a 200hr burn in time"?

As5 needs 200hrs to cure or burn in time

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

View Post

As5 needs 200hrs to cure or burn in time

leave prime95 running for 200 hours?

·
STG3 VET
13,127 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jspeedracer
View Post

My temps went up going from as5 to ic7.

you need to apply a pea size thermal compound in the middle if the cpu. As per instructions.
IC Diamond has a burn in time of 1hr.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

View Post

yea but should no be that hot especially 4.0ghz over clock. max temp i get is like 75-78 running linx and I am at 4.2ghz

i got a similar temp range. its running 76C under load for most parts. my room is a little warm.

i've not tested 4.2GHz yet but it will be probably a few degree difference.

·
Premium Member
6,065 Posts
nice temps for that CPU, clocks and HS. Air cooling on an i7 is tough and your temps are in line with what I have seen others get. Keep temps under 84c and you should be cool. Any pics of the rig man?

·
Data Recovery Engineer
20,225 Posts
Quote:

View Post

you need to apply a pea size thermal compound in the middle if the cpu. As per instructions.

Personally I use a 6-7mm blob in the middle of the CPU.

·
STG3 VET
13,127 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomboy
View Post

i got a similar temp range. its running 76C under load for most parts. my room is a little warm.

i've not tested 4.2GHz yet but it will be probably a few degree difference.

I am talking about 100% full load linx is a stess test program

·
Data Recovery Engineer
20,225 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Personally I use a 6-7mm blob in the middle of the CPU.

Here is how I do it.

Quote:

Okay, I use IC7 all the time when I can get it. This is what I have found out:

1. You NEED to run it under hot water for about 2-3 minutes so it is easier to get out of the tube.

2. You cannot spread it, so you have to put a glob in the dead center of your CPU.
I recommend using a 6-7mm glob for people using a HDT cooler like the s1283 and for everyone else, use a 5-6mm glob.

3. Take heat sinks and put it down onto the processor and apply some pressure. Then twist side to side a few times try not to lift the cooler up (air pockets are really bad with IC7).

Optional Step 4. Turn your computer on (the mobo out side of the case with all the essentials plugged in like power, GPU, and the power button) and let it get a warm without the fan on the cooler (if you cannot do this then leave it on but do not plug in the fan) (about 2-3 minutes BUT NO MORE THAN 5 MINUTES!!!!!!!!!!!) then twist side to side 2-3 times (this spreads it even more).

5. Tighten down the heat sink. And put the fan back on the heat sink.

6. Turn your computer on and really stress it hard for 2 hours (Intel Burn Test or OCCT LinPack) to break in the compound since it has a 2 hour cure time.

7. Enjoy.

That is what I have come up with after trying to get cooler temps with reseating.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Yea, that is what it said on the package but typically with core 2's you apply a thin line across the cores, which I have tried both ways and still got the same results. Idle temps are 3° to 5°C higher with the ic7 over the as5, and now microcenter only carries $20 tubes of as5 which is why I bought the ic7 it was only $10. The ic7 worked great on my gpu though

1 - 20 of 27 Posts