Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, after 2 full weeks of living on just coffee and overclocking, I have successfully reached 4.0ghz stable with my Phenom II 965. This was also my first build which I completed at the end of November 2009.

My system
-----------------------------------
Motherboard: Gigabyte MA770T-UD3P
CPU: AMD Phenom II 965 @ 4.02Ghz
CPU cooler: Corsair H50
RAM: G.Skill DDR3 @ 1608mhz (4GB)
GPU: XFX Radeon HD 4850 1GB
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 750GB
PSU: Corsair TX750W
Case: Azza Helios 910

Settings
-----------------------------------
CPU core clock: 201*20 (4020Mhz)
CPU NB: 201*13 (2613Mhz)
FSB: 201
Ht Link Frequency: 2.2Ghz
Memory Clock: x8.00 (1608Mhz)

=============
BIOS VOLTAGE
=============
DRAM Voltage control: 1.720v
NB Voltage Control: 1.120v
SB/HT Voltage Control: Normal
NB PCIE Voltage Control: 1.820v
CPU NB VID Control: +0.125v (1.2250v)
CPU Voltage Control: 1.600V (CPUID in Windows states 1.584v)

Stable during Prime95 for 3 hours:

Here are my temperatures:

Here are some benchmarks from windows and PCMark Vantage:

Here is my CPU-Z link:
http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=916550

I also booted into memtest86 to make sure my RAM was running okay and it passed all tests. Now I feel sad to close Prime95 hehe we spent so much time together the past 2 weeks. It feels like a goodbye

-Timechange01
-Sam

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Congratulations. Push for 5 GHZ now.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you thank you. Ah! so I guess I will get more use out of Prime. I shall let it run overnight tonight while I sleep for 10+ hours depending on when I wake hehe. Will post the results in this thread tomorrow.

And I usually use my computer for surfing the net(shopping, email, etc.) and also playing some games. The maximum amount of time that my computer stays on is about 4-5 hours.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
what is the ambient temp?

I have the same cpu cooler; with ambient temp 70(C) my cpu idles at 37-40 degrees (C)

It must be because of C3?

BTW I have 955 @ 3.9ghz

I am so glad I am switching to full wc loop

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
regardless of how long your computer stays on for, that run of prime95 will not guarantee that you have at least 3 hours of error free computing for every use.

if i were a vulcan i'd question your logic.

but gj on the OC, its nice to see AMD's quads overclocking well finally

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
dude!!! i bet you that if you get a real high end water cooling kit, you can kick that CPU up to 4.5Ghz easy!!!! or if you want to go extreme.... Dry ice and Liquid nitrogen, and every few minutes blasting it with liquid helium to get it to run at 6.5 GHz!!!! imagine what frame rate you would get on that beast!!!!! and running at temps near absolute zero...= very close to a Super conductor!!!! no resistance between hardware electrical resistance in wires!!!! = EXTREME PERFORMANCE!!!! but thats insane... but hey isint overclocking already insane?

and Congratz on 4 GHz buddy!!! hope your CPU rapes prime 95's ass with a stable 4 GHz!!!

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Good job mate.
I just finished today getting mine to 4.1 Prime stable so I know the feeling of achieving a goal. Mine its pretty much not going anywhere else so I am working on maxing out RAM now.
BTW, when it comes to stability this is my take.
I run Prime95 and OCCT one hour. I may even do 3 hours of prime just to pass that 2nd hour to check for NB issues.
After that I use my computer for MY stuff, gaming, photoshop, sonar 8, video encoding, etc.
Never had issues with any of those after doing my Prime95 OCCT combo.
So, my definition is, stability is the fastest you can run your computer that still allows you to run all YOUR programs without crashes, etc. I do not care if it cannot run 1 year without crashing Prime95...if my tests allows it to run all my stuff without issues then I call that stable.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Yeah you can run Prime95 all you want but It's no good. Make sure all your stuff runs fine... Funny how my old pc could run prime for only 2 hours before rebooting but could compress files 24/7 and the compressed files had no integrity problems.... Either way I vote crysis the new prime95 it crashed my pc instantly vs 2 hours for Prime95

·
Banned
3,774 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by hobosrock696
View Post

Yeah you can run Prime95 all you want but It's no good. Make sure all your stuff runs fine... Funny how my old pc could run prime for only 2 hours before rebooting but could compress files 24/7 and the compressed files had no integrity problems.... Either way I vote crysis the new prime95 it crashed my pc instantly vs 2 hours for Prime95

Bull. Crysis doesn't come close. There is a reason you crashed at 2 hrs. Not stable.

·
Banned
1,545 Posts
Crysis comes no where near P95 maxing out all cores at 100%...it is good to check GPU overclock stability though...I'd use it instead of Furmark

·
Banned
561 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sosikwitit
View Post

Crysis comes no where near P95 maxing out all cores at 100%...it is good to check GPU overclock stability though...I'd use it instead of Furmark

The way I do it is as follows: Open GTAIV, Open MW2, Open Killing Floor or similar, and finally open crysis warhead. WIN. RAM+CPU+GPU+NB+PSU test, get everything.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pentium4 531 overclocker
View Post

dude!!! i bet you that if you get a real high end water cooling kit, you can kick that CPU up to 4.5Ghz easy!!!!

We can only wish that's the case

Maybe with a REALLY good batch / cherry picked cpu, running HK3 / Apogee XT and a bong cooler, and a suicide run. Even then I doubt it'll be completely stable.

With regards to the OP, is this cpu a bad batch for overclocking? I've always thought the C3 should hit 4.0 Ghz with ease, at well under 1.5V.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts