Overclock.net banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to sell my current sig rig and buy a new one (generally because I need new parts) The mobo I am going to buy is already decided but the CPU RAM and Video Card are not.

For me the CPU and GPU always cost the most "green" but this is not about the GPU. So, I need something better then my 3.0 GHz Pentium D Dual Core CPU... Damn bottleneck...

I am on dial-up and am just not generally good at shopping or "quality control" so to anyone who can help with the CPU shopping it would be helpful.

I am not selling the rig right away but if you want to buy some parts outta the sig rig PM me

I may get about $200 for the rig and about 140 is spent...
Price range $0 - $120... ish.
Must be dual core
socket 775

·
Registered
842 Posts
The e2xxx chips seem to be the best choice in that price range. Almost all will overclock to 3ghz on the stock cooler and the e4xxx chips aren't really worth double the price IMO, and probably alot of others.....

·
Registered
842 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by PaRaDoX_883
View Post

any specific e2xxx model?

They all seem to get to 3ghz easy with a half way decent board. With better cooling some get to 3.5 and beyond. There is a thread dedicated to the Pentium Dual Core series. Here it is.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by nolimits882000
View Post

This one is pretty new and is showing a lot of promise on OCing....
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819116070

I'd go with the 2180 if you're sticking with the E2xxx series. For the most part, the best overclock on these chips is found with a 9 or 10 multi, so why pay an extra $20 for an extra 2 multi you will probably never use.

The E7200 is also a very good choice if you can go that high.

·
Premium Member
2,320 Posts
the E7200, i see your budget is $120 but im sure you can fork out atleast $17 more (+S&H) for it. it can hit 4ghz on air.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts