Overclock.net banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Mod Enthusiast
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I assume most people keep the heatsinks associated with their motherboard when doing custom water-cooling. Because of this it was an unpleasant realization that I might not ever find the original heatsinks for a Rampage V Extreme motherboard I acquired from a friend. They had a custom-built rig from Main Gear before and they do not provide the original heatsinks with the system when purchasing from them.

I'm not looking to do water cooling on this board at the moment but don't feel comfortable running this board without VRM cooling - Is there a way to source the appropriate heatsinks for motherboards like this? Seems like a very unique scenario and probably won't have a way to acquire any OEM heatsinks for a Rampage V Extreme in 2021.

Looking to see if anyone has run into a similar issue before and had any luck coming up with a solution. Has a 5960x installed and is definitely still a decently-viable solution for today and wanted to put it to good use for a friend/family member.

·
Iconoclast
31,225 Posts
Not going to be easy to find originals, but it should be fairly easy to source something better.

If you have the mounting hole spacing it might still be possible to find single piece aftermarket heatsinks you can bolt on. Enzotech and Thermalright likely had compatible options that may still be available and there are countless others that could work with some modification.

Otherwise you can just individually sink each mosfet, which is probably the the cheapest/easiest option.

·
Long Time Lurker
948 Posts
I'm using these on my B450 board that didn't ship with any VRM cooling and they seem to work very well alongside my top intake fans. VRM temps don't exceed 60C under synthetic load with a 3800x, at least according to HWiNFO, and this is a 4+3 phase design that I probably shouldn't pair with such a CPU.

Not the prettiest option but should do the job. Can't comment about the quality of the included thermal adhesive, but I haven't had any problems with either heat transfer or mounting since about September.

·
Overclocking Enthusiast
6,360 Posts
You might be able to find a dead board on ebay. And take them off of it.

·
Mod Enthusiast
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not going to be easy to find originals, but it should be fairly easy to source something better.

If you have the mounting hole spacing it might still be possible to find single piece aftermarket heatsinks you can bolt on. Enzotech and Thermalright likely had compatible options that may still be available and there are countless others that could work with some modification.

Otherwise you can just individually sink each mosfet, which is probably the the cheapest/easiest option.
That was my first thought but it looks like both Enzotech and Thermalright haven't made any of them since the Core 2 Duo and before days... I have some of those Enzotec individual copper forged heatsinks I can put on the individual mosfet's but those are usually used with coolers that have active airflow over them... Wasn't sure it would be enough mass to displace heat generated from an X99 board + 5960x with a slight overclock.

I'm using these on my B450 board that didn't ship with any VRM cooling and they seem to work very well alongside my top intake fans. VRM temps don't exceed 60C under synthetic load with a 3800x, at least according to HWiNFO, and this is a 4+3 phase design that I probably shouldn't pair with such a CPU.

Not the prettiest option but should do the job. Can't comment about the quality of the included thermal adhesive, but I haven't had any problems with either heat transfer or mounting since about September.
Nice! Makes me feel better about potentially using some individual sinks directly on the mosfet. Was worried about not having enough mass to displace the amount of heat they produce to do enough of a job keeping them cool.

You might be able to find a dead board on ebay. And take them off of it.
This is what I'm trying to keep my eyes out for at this point. Along the same topic - Does anyone know if X299 and other ASUS X99 boards have the same mosfet hole spacing? It honestly looks almost identical to my X79-Deluxe.

·
Long Time Lurker
948 Posts
Nice! Makes me feel better about potentially using some individual sinks directly on the mosfet. Was worried about not having enough mass to displace the amount of heat they produce to do enough of a job keeping them cool.
I would argue that the surface area of a lot of motherboard cooling is pretty terrible as far as actual heat conductivity is concerned. The solid angular look is definitely nice looking, but fundamentally antithetical to being an actual heatsink outside of the properties of the metal itself. Such a waste of material and space. The fact that cheap heatsinks like this can do such a reasonable job says a lot more about modern motherboard design than anything.

·
Mod Enthusiast
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would argue that the surface area of a lot of motherboard cooling is pretty terrible as far as actual heat conductivity is concerned. The solid angular look is definitely nice looking, but fundamentally antithetical to being an actual heatsink outside of the properties of the metal itself. Such a waste of material and space. The fact that cheap heatsinks like this can do such a reasonable job says a lot more about modern motherboard design than anything.
Totally agree. Still can't argue the design using a copper heatpipe to an extended block of aluminum can help dissipate from sheer mass alone. There's a limit to how much they can cool and I know the X99 VRM's can pull down some serious power when using a chip like the 5960X

I will probably end up going with using the little mosfet heatsinks from enzotech and run some tests to compare the temperature difference... That is if I don't see a broken one - potentially any broken ASUS X99 board if the heatsinks are interchangeable.

·
Mod Enthusiast
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have that board....

but here is a better option for you.
I saw that yea... Looks like my only option. Hopefully people don't bid it up in hopes of fixing it...

·
Registered
229 Posts
I saw that yea... Looks like my only option. Hopefully people don't bid it up in hopes of fixing it...
Well let me know how this pans out for you, because like i mentioned earlier. I do have this board and pretty much everything that goes with it. I think i still have the oc panel as well.

Hopefully you get that for like 10 bucks. :)

·
Mod Enthusiast
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well let me know how this pans out for you, because like i mentioned earlier. I do have this board and pretty much everything that goes with it. I think i still have the oc panel as well.

Hopefully you get that for like 10 bucks. :)
Oh, there's no way it goes for $10 it's already coming with $50 shipping. Plus even 'broken' boards like X99 and X79 sell for 100+ most times. Pretty wild.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts