Overclock.net banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I've been off and on this site many times over the years but never registered so decided I'd sign on to get some useful information here. My keyboards have expectedly all been membrane keyboards, the first nicer membrane I bought was the original Saitek keyboard with backlighitng and the command pad. After that wore out, I bougt the newer version. I had an interest in mechanical keyboards a bit back, and found the ABS M1 keyboard on Newegg for about $30 IIRC so I gave it a shot. I hated that keyboard. The keys were too tall, too stiff, and I made infinitely more mistakes typing on that than I ever did with a regular keyboard. So I ended up boxing it up, selling it on Craigslist and after using the Saitek for awhile longer I bought a G15 on sale because I wanted the screen.

The G15 is my current keyboard, and I honestly don't have any real complaints. I don't use the macro keys, but I knew I probably wouldn't. The screen I use to monitor my GPU usage and FPS which I find handy to know how a game is performing without having to enter console and turn on FPS through the game. I used to have a problem with my graphics card software not ramping up the fan speed so I used this to monitor it - however I have resolved that issue. I don't have a problem with the way this keyboard feels, but I'm interested in having a more durable keyboard. I believe the Cherry Red switches are what I might enjoy most, but I am absolutely not a fan of black Alps and will never buy another one.

I'm very picky about a few things with my keyboards though layout wise. I hate keyboards with a double row sized enter key - I prefer the single row sized enter key strongly (It wouldn't necessarily prevent me from buying a keyboard if the rest was as I wanted though). Another quirky thing I enjoy is the caps lock key with a small dip between the tall part of the key and the A key which leaves room for a finger to rest. I like to rest my pinky in this gap and it helps me as I type to positionally keep on track. This is a dealbreaker for me, unless literally every keyboard does not have this (Which I find hard to believe, as I've had a bunch of membrane keyboard that had it). I also don't mind the Windows key, I actually use it so if possible I'd like a keyboard that still has a Windows key - but I could get used to not having it if the rest was alright.

Backlighting is entirely optional, it would be cool if I can get it just because I like the looks - I'm a touch typist though so I don't really need them. On that same note, blank keys are fine with me, I know where everything is and in a way I enjoy the idea of having a keyboard like this just because I know anyone else will look at it and wonder how on earth I know what I'm typing. As far as tenkeyless, I strongly prefer it to have tenkeys - my mouse is located on my desk and not on the same little pull out drawer as my keyboard (Though I suppose if the keyboard was tiny enough I could put it on the drawer...hmm, I won't rule this out so I guess moot point). I have indeed seen the mechanical keyboard guide, but I would like a bit more personalized help. I have an old IBM Model M keyboard which is laying around and works fine, I tried using it but I'm not a fan of all the noise and especially not the looks (It distracts me while I'm looking at the monitor with its ugly giant beige enclosure) - on this note I'd prefer a black keyboard or dark grey over a beige, but I've seen some of the beiges that are much more mellow that I could deal with. More than anything this just probably rules out the big old keyboards.

I have an extremely hard time making myself spend the kind of money the nicer ones go for ($300+) especially since I'm not sold on mechanical keyboards yet. The $150 and under range is where I'm looking at, and if at all possible a place that offers a return policy would be great - as I'm afraid I'll have buyer's remorse again like with the ABS M1 (Except this time I'll have an expensive keyboard no one on Craigslist will bu - shoot it took me a long time to get what I paid back out of that ABS M1...). Can anyone name me some suggestions to consider? I know the Cherry Reds are probably the more difficult to find ones, so I'm not even sure how many options I'd have. How do the Cherry Blacks compare to the Black Alps? I might be ok with MX Browns as well. Any input is appreciated here, just know I personally don't hate membrane keyboards like some people do - but I did find the IBM Model M to be a kind of neat feeling keyboard in the actuation. I always liked those keyboards as a kid at school because as a fast typer back then when I was typing I'd be making a ton of noise and people were always like "Whoa look at how fast he's typing!" but this is just going to be in my home so I don't need to hear all that racket.

EDIT: Just a bit of looking and I really am digging these little guys
http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=leopold,tenkeyless

Only thing I don't like, their no return policy...I can't complain about $100 and offering Red and Brown but I don't even know which I prefer. Are these decent keyboards?

Also, could someone please tell me what makes HHKBs so expensive? I'm sure it's something that I'm just not seeing, or are they just expensive because they're a popular tenkeyless?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Alright guys, TL;DR...fair enough. I've been looking like crazy and I think I've settled on MX Cherry Reds for now - but would certainly consider Browns/Blues in the future. I have pretty much sold myself on the tenkeyless design. So I'm between the Cooler Master Storm Quickfire with the Cherry Reds or the Leopold Tenkeyless from Elite Keyboards with Cherry Reds. Thing is, looking at these keyboards physically...they look like the same exact keyboard with different branding. Can anyone tell me definitively if these are the same?

I'd like to get one with blank keycaps, but the Cooler Master doesn't come that way. Sure I could buy blank key caps, but still a bit of a hassle - also I don't care for all the Cooler Master branding all over the thing. So the total cost to me for the Leopold would be $111 with no chance to return if I dislike it and the Cooler Master would be $93 with possibility of return. Thing is, the keycaps would cost about $40 so I could convert the Cooler Master to a blank one but at higher cost than the Leopold. Anyone care to help me out here?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Really? You don't say?

Seriously, thanks for nothing useless forum. Typical internet douchebags, won't help anyone who actually describes their problem in any detail. But you'd be the first ones to post in a thread that goes something like "So yeah, I need a new keyboard...halp plz" and tell them to be more specific. I don't give a damn, ban my account - or just delete it. I have nothing nice to say to any of you useless twats.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Are you talking about the Saitek Eclipse 1?

I have the saitek 1 and 2; Since there 2KRO or 3KRO? I was running into alot of issues with my keybindings while playing tribes. So it made me want to "upgrade" to a mech keyboard because of it.

Did you order your keyboard already? I think the best thing you can do is actually TRY out the reds and the browns. I have a feeling you'll like the browns more since it has the tactile bump.

Did you try looking for keyboards at http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/index.php

They at least allow for returns.

I bought the ducky shine 2 with MX blacks, then later on in the week i ordered the MX browns/reds since I didn't like how stiff the blacks were.

The browns/reds have the same actuation force of 45g's I seriously think you need to try them both on the same keyboard. All the reading in the world isn't going to help you. Because just like you, I was thinking "Meh I guess I will like the reds more"... but I still ordered both the browns/reds. I'm so glad I ordered the browns also.. I love them waaaayyyy more than the reds. I bottom out less while gaming and typing feels way better than the reds and for some reason it feels as if the browns are lighter than the reds because of the tactile bump. Look at my post here

So il be returning the ducky shine 2's with MX blacks and reds later this week and I'm definitely keeping the MX browns ; )

As for the feeling of it.. I still don't hate my membrane keyboards.. They feel awesome to me, but so does this ducky shine 2 .. Its like.. a different type of awesome.. But just like how others have stated that "OMG I WILL NEVER GO BACK TO A MEMBRANE/RUBBER DOME KEYBOARD AFTER USING A MECHANICAL KEYBOARD" I seriously don't feel this way. I can use either .. I like the saitek and the ducky shine lol. Which ever mech keyboard you use youll probably still like membrane keyboards also ~_~

Oh and lastly the reds/browns are a bit lighter than the keys on the saitek 1 and 2. (Atleast to me they are) but the fact that they feel so different makes it harder to be sure if there lighter or not. Youll see what i mean when you get your mech keyboard.

Out of everything your asking for this is the only thing I have experience with. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistance View Post

Really? You don't say?
Seriously, thanks for nothing useless forum. Typical internet douchebags, won't help anyone who actually describes their problem in any detail. But you'd be the first ones to post in a thread that goes something like "So yeah, I need a new keyboard...halp plz" and tell them to be more specific. I don't give a damn, ban my account - or just delete it. I have nothing nice to say to any of you useless twats.
I don't think it is really fair to say that people here are not willing to help. I think the problem with your post is that you seem to have figured everything out yourself and the final decision is entirely you choice. You seem to know what you like in a keyboard and seem to have found some keyboards that you like. The best I can do is restate what you wrote in the second post and say that you have to decide for yourself.

Furthermore, I don't know the answer to some of your questions because I don't know how Alps feel. As for the CM keyboard vs Leopold. Both seem to be ok keyboard. I don't know if they are exactly the same, but the difference will probably be very small.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistance View Post

Alright guys, TL;DR...fair enough. I've been looking like crazy and I think I've settled on MX Cherry Reds for now - but would certainly consider Browns/Blues in the future.
I forgot to mention about the MX blues, the reset point and operating point of the blues are different heights so some say it feels weird if your double/multi tapping in a game. The MX browns has there reset point and operating points in the same location so i also don't have no problem double/multi tapping in any game with my mx browns. Look at the graphs MX Blues, MX Browns.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.