Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 225 Posts

·
Case ***der
5,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Final pictures.

Pulled the case out of the closet. This is now going to be the housing for my ESXi server. Rebuild starts here.
http://www.overclock.net/t/1206604/the-forever-alone-build-thread/80_20#post_21234065

Started a new gaming rig here recently. This thread will document its process.

Forgot to take a pic of the case before I started pulling it apart. But it is a Silverstone FT02BW.
Case interior after I removed the fans/shrouds.

Drive cage has been stripped. Mounted motherboard + PSU.

The Rasa that I'll be reusing. I used some Koolance 38mm radiator fan mounts to secure the block since I haven't been able to buy the actual mounting.

Must say that the IO shield for this board looks fantastic. But look at all the steel rivets. Those definitely are going to need replacing.

HD7970 all nekkid & sexy. Block is back ordered. Hope to buy two more here soon.

Fusion-IO ioXtreme. 80GB. My gaming and application drive.

Crucial M4. 64GB. OS drive + less important applications.

Titanium HD which will be my headphones card.

And then the trusty Auzentech Prelude for analog 5.1.

Did some testing for a few days. Can we say ghetto?

Yup, that looks secure.

Desk at the moment. I have two U2711's that will be used for some serious eyefinity. Just waiting for the mounts to arrive.

And a few of the rigs I've done earlier this year.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Forever alone but awesome.

·
Tech Enthusiast
12,388 Posts
Looks like it will be a great build... but why the Fusion-IO?!

·
Registered
397 Posts
nice, im looking forward to seeing the final build. what did you build the other systems for? for friends/self/profit? and why didnt you use the fusion-io drive when you first got it?? lol i cant imagine spending that cash and not using the thing asap is all

·
Case ***der
5,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverh20 View Post

nice, im looking forward to seeing the final build. what did you build the other systems for? for friends/self/profit? and why didnt you use the fusion-io drive when you first got it?? lol i cant imagine spending that cash and not using the thing asap is all
I build the other systems for myself. I either sold or rebuilt them when I got bored of them. I've had the ioXtreme for 2 years and have been using it for that long. I just keep transferring it over to my next build.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deafboy View Post

Looks like it will be a great build... but why the Fusion-IO?!
Because it is fast. 2 years old and nothing can come anywhere near close in terms of low queue depth read/writes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomashT View Post

Pics/cliffs on how the drive cage came out?
You have to remove the steel unibody chassis. Which is just a bunch of easily accessible screws. Then just drill the rivets out. 2 of them are difficult to reach though. I would suggest a rather small drill. I use a monstrous wired hammer drill w/ 1/2" chuck. Wasn't all that easy.

No idea how I am going to reinstall the cage though. I am going to wait until the radiator arrives to see what I have for clearance before I decide anything. I don't need any of them. But it will look too barren without it there.

·
Tech Enthusiast
12,388 Posts
Kind of OT, but what are the specs on it?

·
Case ***der
5,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A pic of the CPUs for my next rig.
Opterons.jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by deafboy View Post

Kind of OT, but what are the specs on it?
3.2GHz locked Xeon ES quad core w/ hyperthreading. This will be replaced sometime in the future. Maybe I'll wait till IB-E.
Gigabyte X79-UD3.
16GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz
80GB Fusion-IO ioXtreme
64GB Crucial M4. May buy another one of these for some RAID0. Not sure if I need the space yet though.
HIS HD7970. Hope to add another two down the road. Have ordered an EK acetal + EN block and single slot adapter. Hasn't shipped yet though.
Creative X-Fi Titanium HD & Auzentech Prelude
Silvestone ST1000-G PSU.
I think that everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwentyCent View Post

Where can one buy a ioDrive? Looks kinda hard to find...
eBay is a good place to look now. You can find some snazzy deals there. I was going to buy another one a few months back but decided I'd rather buy a new videocard or two.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post

You have to remove the steel unibody chassis. Which is just a bunch of easily accessible screws. Then just drill the rivets out. 2 of them are difficult to reach though. I would suggest a rather small drill. I use a monstrous wired hammer drill w/ 1/2" chuck. Wasn't all that easy.
No idea how I am going to reinstall the cage though. I am going to wait until the radiator arrives to see what I have for clearance before I decide anything. I don't need any of them. But it will look too barren without it there.
I think the other guy just used nuts and bolts and the rivet holes to reattach the drive cage.

·
Case ***der
5,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Spend way too much time on 24 pin. There is a wire or two I will likely fix before all said and done. Also gave the case the MDPC-X treatment. Replaced all rivets and screws with black ones. Will get pics of that later on.
24pin.jpg

·
Case ***der
5,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
These came in the mail today.
fittings.jpg

bigradiatorisbig.jpg

Pulled out the trusty can of Plasti-Dip to do my IO shield + PCIe slot covers.
newioshield.jpg

pcie.jpg

ioXtreme, Prelude, Titanium HD.
cards.jpg

Removed the logos on the ram. Love the way it looks now.
delogo.jpg

DO NOT WANT. Will be re doing the USB3.0 cable. I do not want to use black, however I can't find any white heatshrink or grey sleeving that will fit it.
mad.gif

donotwant.jpg

·
Premium Member
10,324 Posts
Wow that's a horrid place for the USB3.0 header.

Definitely subbing
thumb.gif

Depending on how my check is this week I may make my thread too.

1 - 20 of 225 Posts