Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just to let you know, my ideas gradually changed throughout the mod, so my initial plans were not always used.

I'm going to mod an old atx p3 tower...

removable mobo tray...

It looks like it has some potential. Here's my ideas so far. On the front I'm planning to remove the 3.5" bays, and cut out the rest of the metal in the front. Then I'm going to cut a piece of sheet metal with two 120mm holes in it, and put that below the 5.25" bays, and cover the front with mesh. On the side, I'm not sure, but I think Ill put in an acrylic window with another 120mm fan hole in it. The rest I'm not too sure about. I thought about putting a large fan in the top, but it might run into the psu...*And of course, paint the whole thing black!*
I think I'll need some help with the back...

...no fan hole. Besides the psu will get in the way of everything right there. I want to put it above the mobo, but it won't fit unless I add some space(by slanting the top). Any suggestions as to what to do with the psu will be greatly appreciated. I thought about reshaping the bottom, making it uatx and putting the psu below the mobo, but then if I ever get an atx mobo, I'll need a new case. This is all in the planning stage right now, so feel free to post any suggestions. btw this will be my first large-scale mod...so nothing too ridiculous.

Initial plans -- 3/13/08

Update 1 --- Cutting new parts from scratch -- 3/15/08

Update 2 --- Bending new parts (no pics) -- 3/18/08

Update 3 --- New blades and bending new parts -- 3/22/08

Update 4 --- Cutting off old rails -- 3/28/08

Update 5 --- Cutting the back -- 3/28/08

Update 6 --- Finishing back and cutting front -- 4/2/08

Update 7 --- Cutting new front (bezel) -- 4/3/08

Update 8 --- Added rails to new parts -- 4/4/08

Update 9 --- Minor changes to bottom, and first round of painting -- 7/11/08

Update 10 -- Results of first painting -- 9/13/08

Update 11 -- Some acrylic -- 9/24/08

Update 12 -- Bending bezel and assembling -- 4/18/09

Update 13 -- More assembling -- 4/22/09

Update 14 -- Modder's secret source of power -- 5/5/09

Update 15 -- First round of Bondo -- 6/18/09

Update 16 -- Second round of Bondo -- 7/17/09

Update 17 -- More tools and more Bondo -- 7/17/09

Update 18 -- Bondo on the top -- 8/21/09

Update 19 -- Top sanded -- 8/21/09

Update 20 -- Re-thinking the back -- 8/28/09

Update 21 -- LED mods -- 12/26/09

Update 22 -- Finished DVD drive and more parts -- 3/26/10

Update 23 -- Bondo on the front -- 3/31/10

Update 24 -- Bondo on the front II -- 4/13/10

Update 25 -- Bondo on the front III and beginning side panel -- 5/27/10

Update 26 -- Switches and sanding out second drive bay -- 6/14/10

Update 27 -- Finishing front and cutting window -- 7/6/10

Update 28 -- Priming -- 1/4/11

Update 29 -- Painting -- 1/29/11

Update 29 -- Clear coat -- 1/29/11 (Continued)

Update 29 -- Clear coat -- 1/29/11 (Continued 2)

Update 30 -- Finishing window, final painting, and assembling -- 6/13/11

Update 30 -- Finishing window, final painting, and assembling -- 6/13/11 (Continued)

Update 30 -- Finishing window, final painting, and assembling -- 6/13/11 (Continued 2)

Finished!

LL
LL
LL
LL

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
I think it's not a good case to mod. It's very small.
You will have to do a lot of work for the PSU and exhaust fan(S) for the back.

If possible i suggest you to find a bigger case to modify.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3xtr3m3 View Post
I think it's now a good case to mod. It's very small.
You will have to do a lot of work for the PSU and exhaust fan(S) for the back.

If possible i suggest you to find a bigger case to modify.

Here's the dimensions...15.25" deep X 16" tall X 8" wide
its the biggest case I have.
I think I'll probably raise the top in the back, and modify it with sheet metal to fit the psu at the top. It will barely fit a 120mm fan in the back! You may be right, it might be too small, but I'll have to buy a new case if I want a bigger one
. So it may or may not work, depending on my skill with sheet metal
.(so it probably won't...lol)

·
Registered
50 Posts
mod it to make it bigger perhaps or put in some top fans for exhaust

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by drjoey1500 View Post
here's the dimensions...15.25" deep X 16" tall X 8" wide
its the biggest case i have.
I think I'll probably raise the top in the back, and modify it with sheet metal to fit the psu at the top. It will barely fit a 120mm fan in the back! You may be right, it might be too small, but I'll have to buy a new case if I want a bigger one
. So it may or may not work, depending on my skill with sheet metal
.(so it probably won't...lol)
If that's the only case you have than mod it so you can fit a 120mm fan at the back and maybe another one at the top (after you raise it for the PSU)

Good luck man...

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3xtr3m3 View Post
If that's the only case you have than mod it so you can fit a 120mm fan at the back and maybe another one at the top (after you raise it for the PSU)

Good luck man...
Thanks...Should I just raise the back and have the top slanted, or should I raise the whole thing?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dominazn
You should make it PINK
eeeeeeewwww!!
lol
Thanks everyone for the feedback...keep the ideas coming...along that line, what about the side panel? any suggestions? clear window, mesh window, blue window?...

Should I post a new thread once I start modding? Or do I change this one...?

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good news, there's almost a whole sheet of sheet metal in the garage...I didn't see the whole thing though, but enough if I can use it!

My most recent idea, is that I'll add about an inch to the top, and a few inches to the front, so I can push the disc drives forward enough to remain flush with the back of the bay. That way I might have room to fit a fan in the top.

Here's my idea if there's not enough room in the top for a 120mm. Two pci slot exhaust fans mounted to the top(with modification to the grill), and make the top of the case slant down, put some mesh in, so they will be sucking air up over and forward. Is my description clear? I'd like to fit a 120 or at least 2 80's in the top. I'll post again when I see if it will work...

I need name suggestions too...

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't have any mesh or fans yet, but I have the sheet metal, so I'll probably start that soon...

Here's a drawing of what i plan to do with the sheet metal/mesh...there will be mesh over the front, the top fan and over the corner where the hdd is...

...I drew it all by myself...lol...what do you guys think about the top fan and the hdds? the fan will overlap with the 5.25"bays as the pic shows, and also the only psu vent is on the front side next to the top fan. If I go according to plans, I can fit two hdd's side by side over the 5.25" bays...will those heat up too much?

Attachment 68098
LL

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
...So I started earlier than I planned. Yesterday I cut the metal for the top, and cut the hole for the top fan...

I still need names...I was thinking about Ice Tornado, or something like that. But that's kinda boring, and has probably been done too much. Any ideas?

Attachment 68208 Attachment 68209 Attachment 68210 Attachment 68211
LL
LL
LL
LL

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
*update* cut and bent place for psu, it just looks like a pile of bent sheet metal, so I didn't take a pic...

http://www.mnpctech.com/moddersmesh.html
just thinking...round or honeycomb mesh? the round kinda looks better, but do you think it will have enough airflow?

Still need a name!

Is mnpctech the best place to buy mesh from? the only other place I found it at was frozen cpu, but the holes are kinda small...

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sheet metal really is hard on the blades...

You cant really see it, but some of the teeth are really worn down...

So...

Ok so I did take a pic of the heap of sheet metal...

My most recent name idea is the executor...What do you guys think? Any ideas? Name suggestions please!?

Attachment 68814 Attachment 68815 Attachment 68816
LL
LL
LL

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cut the rails out of the top, I only meant to cut the middle and the back out, but it fell apart while I was cutting.

leftover

Here's a fan that I dug out of an almost burnt psu, I wonder why the psu was burning?(I somehow misplaced the pic of the psu)
This is what it looked like while in the psu (sorry for the blurry pic).

I just picked up the blades, and they came off.

I peeled off the sticker on the back, and pushed a washer/bearing thing back on the fan axle(axle?lol) and it seems to spin fine now.
If you're wondering why I'm bringing this up, this fan is now my 80mm template.
Not enough space for all the pics, so I'll post again.

Attachment 69248 Attachment 69249
LL
LL
LL
LL

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Now for the back.

I should probably give some background. I plan to put two 80mm exhaust fans next to the pci slots in order to balance the 3 120mm intake fans. The only problem was, that there wasn't quite enough room for the fans next to the slots, and even if I could fit them, there would be no access to the screws. So I had to raise the fans, the pics will explain what I mean. I cut the places to bend, drilled holes for the screws, and bent them. It came utterly close to failure. I was barely able to get the holes to line up with the fan.
anyway, here are pics.
Back view

Sorry, another blurry one

You cant see in these, but one of the supports doesn't line up, in fact it doesn't even reach the fan, but oh well, 3 screws is enough.

I also cut the hole for the rear 120mm exhaust.

Not to be pesty, but I really need a name!
How about 232CFM...lol that will be the total airflow going through the case with the fans on high if I follow my plan.

Attachment 69250 Attachment 69251 Attachment 69252 Attachment 69253 Attachment 69254
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

·
Registered
27 Posts
Name...
How about 'Legacy 232' or 'Legacy 1500' or 'Power Of Legacy' or something like that - and make a metal plaque with the name engraved. Usually you can get it nicely engraved at you local key cutting place. Then use nice bolts to attach it to the front or top of the case.

Good luck with the mod

·
Premium Member
4,672 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by AXP View Post
Name...
How about 'Legacy 232' or 'Legacy 1500' or 'Power Of Legacy' or something like that - and make a metal plaque with the name engraved. Usually you can get it nicely engraved at you local key cutting place. Then use nice bolts to attach it to the front or top of the case.

Good luck with the mod

haha read my mind on the Legacy naming scheme. (on a sidenote - OUT OF ME HEAD!!!
)

looking good though keep it up ^_^ b
and ya sheet metal is kind of a pain sometimes. i'm still learning how to work it right myself

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by AXP View Post
Name...

Good luck with the mod

Hey thx for the suggestions. Yea that sounds kinda cool, I'll think about that...
You get it engraved at a key cutting place? Like a hardware store?

BTW spring break this week, so I should have more done soon.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts