Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my OS installed and working on installing drivers atm.
(rig is in sig)

i am using MSI live update 5 atm.

how do i check to make sure that i got all the drivers i need and that they are up to date?

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMKR View Post

hmm, uhh, yeah .....
that doesnt answer my question
He linked your motherboards page on the msi site that list all the newest drivers msi has listed. There are some other tools to do this but as long as its running properly without issues your set. You can get nvidia drivers from the nvidia web page under the drivers section. its that simple, no need to worry.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66racer View Post

He linked your motherboards page on the msi site that list all the newest drivers msi has listed. There are some other tools to do this but as long as its running properly without issues your set. You can get nvidia drivers from the nvidia web page under the drivers section. its that simple, no need to worry.
yeah thats the point.

but my question was

"how do i check to make sure i have to correct drivers and latest drivers for all my hardware"

·
Registered
145 Posts
Quote:

yeah thats the point.

but my question was

"how do i check to make sure i have to correct drivers and latest drivers for all my hardware"
Nvidia software lets me know when I have a GPU driver update available. Otherwise I just go around and check manufacturer websites during my twice a year PC maintenance ritual.

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
Quote:

For one thing
in this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bz3h3XsbZqE

at the 2:22 min mark he has a driver called the chipset.

i cant find a driver that says "chipset" on my list.

how do i make sure i downloaded the chipset?
Those drivers are at the bottom of the page the other member linked earlier. Those are the intel chipset drivers.

Edit:
Here is the intel driver update tool link:
Intel Driver update utility

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Those drivers are at the bottom of the page the other member linked earlier. Those are the intel chipset drivers.
yes, i know.

but how do i check to see if mine got installed?

reason why i ask is beause i used MSI live update. and i have no idea what they just installed, but it took ~~6 hours and it downloaded a bunch of crap. so i wanna make sure they got the essentials atleast

·
Registered
145 Posts
Quote:

yes, i know.

reason why i ask is beause i used MSI live update. and i have no idea what they just installed, but it took ~~6 hours and it downloaded a bunch of crap. so i wanna make sure they got the essentials atleast
Add/remove programs in control panel? I haven't used that software before so I don't know what else to tell you.

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
Quote:

yes, i know.

In case you missed it since you posted since I made my edit after you reposted, try this for the easy way

Intel Driver Update utility

But Also, you can click on "computer" then select "device manager" (red outline) and if there are any items without drivers it will show an exclamation mark on the right side (other red box). Its been a while but I think its an exclamation mark, its a yellow icon for sure and will be next to any item without a driver installed.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

In case you missed it since you posted since I made my edit after you reposted, try this for the easy way

Intel Driver Update utility

But Also, you can click on "computer" then select "device manager" (red outline) and if there are any items without drivers it will show an exclamation mark on the right side (other red box). Its been a while but I think its an exclamation mark, its a yellow icon for sure and will be next to any item without a driver installed.

okay, tyvm
new questions
1) the drivers manage section isnt the drivers I downloaded, but the drivers that needs to be download? (PS i dont have any exclamation marks)
2) under system devices, i have no drivers called "chipset" like that guy does in the video. which is my main concern atm

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
Quote:

okay, tyvm
new questions
1) the drivers manage section isnt the drivers I downloaded, but the drivers that needs to be download? (PS i dont have any exclamation marks)
2) under system devices, i have no drivers called "chipset" like that guy does in the video. which is my main concern atm
If you dont have any yellow icons your ok. If there is a device without drivers (including chipset) windows will automatically expand that section to show the unknown item when your in the device manager section. So likely either windows or your msi software installed it for you.

Using the intel link it will ensure you have the latest drivers. Sometimes the intel driver link will not recognize devices like video cards, but use it for intel chipset drivers and intel products.

Drivers are not really a huge deal unless something isnt working. Think the drivers that are most important are gpu drivers since games come out frequently. Usually once you have the pc up and running you dont need to mess with drivers unless something isnt working right.

I think in the video your watching, the poster is a bit on the "over thinking" side and may have caused unnecessary intimidation for you. Sounds like your good to go.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts