Overclock.net banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All I have open is an Overclock.net page and the chat. Why is firefox using 129mb of memory?

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
There is no definititive answer, even the devs admit it... some people experience it, some dont... most of the time tho, its because youre using something that firefox just doesnt like, which includes flash, java, etc.

check around www.neowin.net , theres an official thread regarding memory leaks... a big reason for memory "leaks" so far is because firefox keeps a cache of your recently opened tabs/ sites so your ram is filled with pics, sites, etc.

·
Banned
1,451 Posts
I set it so that a number of websites that I visited is stored in the ram instead of the hard drive.
So it should be hoggin a lot.
But I only have 44mb.
So something is wrong?

And when I have like 5 pages open its only at 55mb.

·
Registered
604 Posts
He had MySpace open earlier... It didn't clear the memory it was using when he closed that tab/window.

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
^ which means all the crap on a myspace page was in memory... and what a bunch of crap those pages usually have...

·
Banned
1,451 Posts
I dunno.
When I tested for the 44mb I had a bunch of myspace pages loaded prior.
And the 55mb had a few myspace pages open too.

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
yeah, some people experience it and some dont... the memory "leak" is one of the hardest bugs to track for the devs simply because its so difficult to reproduce... :/

·
Banned
4,410 Posts
Look in you're in flash chat and the flash chat is a bandwidth \\memory HOG.

Also check your CPU usage thats from Flash chat also.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I don't know for sure but I've always heard that the leak occurs mainly when you open multiple instances of the browser. If you keep one window (with or without multiple tabs) it's supposed to not leak as badly. As always, YMMV.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by thenut

yeah, some people experience it and some dont... the memory "leak" is one of the hardest bugs to track for the devs simply because its so difficult to reproduce... :/

Really?? I have no problem producing them in C++

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.