Overclock.net banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,440 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ENTERPRISE1701

Oh ok...so you test them then do you ?

Yeah..I don't expect to just install it and expect it to work flawlessly...that's why they have trials and free ones....
I check for ease of use, accessability of port blocking, in essence true stealth-mode if at all possible...having a router is a blast but something can always get past...I prefer Germ-free

·
Administrator
64,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by PROBN4LYFE

Yeah..I don't expect to just install it and expect it to work flawlessly...that's why they have trials and free ones....
I check for ease of use, accessability of port blocking, in essence true stealth-mode if at all possible...having a router is a blast but something can always get past...I prefer Germ-free

Yeah i agree that having a router is great..When secruity comnes to mind but yeah your right theres always something that can get past them.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ENTERPRISE1701

Hey there guys can you please give me a good lst of sone decent but free firewalls apart from zonealarm ..Thanks guys

Panda Antivirus was good,
it was a virus scanner and firewall in one, it used to update automatically aswell. I used to use this one with a crack, but ive removed it now cos im low on hd space.

·
Premium Member
10,440 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crimson_Blade

Panda Antivirus was good,
it was a virus scanner and firewall in one, it used to update automatically aswell. I used to use this one with a crack, but ive removed it now cos im low on hd space.

Panda is a memory hog:withstupi (lol....he said crack)

·
Premium Member
3,899 Posts
Yeah. Outpost is nice. But I really like Sygate. As you guys have been discussing, some trials and errors exist in using free firewalls. And possiblity of something getting past the firewall always exists.

BUT if you get Sygate (just get it from download.com), then you'll have no problemo. I've used ZoneAlarm, didn't like it much. Ad/spywares contantly getting through.

Switched to Sygate, no messy GUI, very simple. Install, allow programs to access Internet when asked by Sygate, etc. IMO, it's the best firewall I've used so far. I personally think using Windows Firewall alone isn't enough, but that's just me. After I switched to Sygate, I didn't detect any spy/adware unless I d/l'ed programs that I shouldn't have d/l'ed. (Some freewares that looked cool
)

Router firewall's great, too, but for some reason my Internet doesn't work w/ router attached.
Gotta work on that.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zipnogg

I personally think using Windows Firewall alone isn't enough, but that's just me. After I switched to Sygate, I didn't detect any spy/adware unless I d/l'ed programs that I shouldn't have d/l'ed. (Some freewares that looked cool
)

I used to have adware and spyware issues (even with anti-spyware programs installed), but I switched over to Firefox, added the Adblock plug-in with Filterset.G, and installed SpywareBlaster. Not a single issue in prolly a year or so. SpywareBlaster is great, because it's just a blacklist of bad sites, so it doesn't use any resources. The only thing running in the background is my AV software, and it's not too bad.

·
Premium Member
5,079 Posts
A home user dosen't need a fancy firewall. The one built into XP SP2 is perfectly capable of dealing with things the ordinary user will run into. Couple it with a good anti virus (Avast if you want free, Nod32 if you want to pay) and use Firefox then you are all set. If you have a router then you have a hardware firewall, and thats even better.

• Rep+
Reactions: ENTERPRISE
1 - 16 of 16 Posts