Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is what I'm looking at. Budget is $1000.00 not including cost for case and OS.:

ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe ATX AMD Motherboard

or

DFI LANPARTY nF4 SLI-DR ATX AMD Motherboard

with the following:

AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego 1GHz HT 1MB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor

XFX Geforce GeForce 7900 GT EXTREME (520MHz) 256MB PV-T71G-UDE7 Video Card
I'll add another card down the road for SLI

Western Digital Raptor 36.7GB 3.5" Serial ATA150 Hard Drive
x 2 for RAID setup

Cooling with BT. Not sure what case yet. Not worried about that now.

Would WinXP pro 64 bit ed. be worthwhile, or should I wait for Vista?

I've got a Sunbeam NUUO SUNNU550 that I could use and put my TT420 watt back in place of my current setup. I also have 1gb of OCZ Gold DDR500.

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Biomech

Here is what I'm looking at. Cooling with BT.

Would WinXP pro 64 bit ed. be worthwhile, or should I wait for Vista?

I've got a Sunbeam NUUO SUNNU550 that I could use and put my TT420 watt back in place of my current setup. I also have 1gb of OCZ Gold DDR500.

Western Digital Raptor 36.7GB 3.5" Serial ATA150 Hard Drive x 2 for RAID setup

Lian Li PC-G70B Black Computer Case

Microsoft Windows XP Professional X64 Edition Single Pack - OEM

Big Typhoon

Total: $1,385.22 w/shipping

I think this is what I might go for. Already have my ram and PSU. Will add another PSU down the road when adding the second VGA.

Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
10,811 Posts
I think it'd be a better idea to get just a 74GB Raptor, yes you will lose a tiny bit of performance, but it'd save you $50, and you could also add another one of those down the road. The 36GB is the worst GB per $ deal of all the Raptors.

·
Premium Member
4,206 Posts
Won't you need memory for that system? Or are you planning on using your current RAM?

·
Premium Member
10,811 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Biomech

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
You would be better off with a pair of common WD 80G SATA drives vs the price of 1 Raptor36... about the same cost.
RAID0 is a great but it does little to nothing for progs like gaming, but is very advantagious for the likes of Vid Editing, large data bases, etc...
Basically, if you don't need the higher speed HD access of RAID0 the option is a powerful single drive with partitions utilizing a 40-60G main part depending on how much space yor programs demand.
All in all, if you are set on RAID0
Consider a pair of more common SATA drives.
Check out the data and the drives used in the HD database.
http://www.overclock.net/hard-drives...-raid-non.html

• Rep+
Reactions: xie67

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Duke

You would be better off with a pair of common WD 80G SATA drives vs the price of 1 Raptor36... about the same cost.
RAID0 is a great but it does little to nothing for progs like gaming, but is very advantagious for the likes of Vid Editing, large data bases, etc...
Basically, if you don't need the higher speed HD access of RAID0 the option is a powerful single drive with partitions utilizing a 40-60G main part depending on how much space yor programs demand.
All in all, if you are set on RAID0
Consider a pair of more common SATA drives.
Check out the data and the drives used in the HD database.
http://www.overclock.net/hard-drives...-raid-non.html

Good advice! I'll probably shoot for two sata 250's and make three partitions. The Raptor 150 would be nice, but I'd rather shell out more on a decent case and cooling that a minimal performance increase.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mattrfc91

I would wait for vista as the 64-bit XP as their are hardly any drivers available for it.

Has a release date been set?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do you guys think I can get this chip to 2750 (11*250) with the Big Typhoon? My room temp is 65-68F and my P4 3.0E idles at 38C on water cooling. Not a good comparison, but just a little info to get a rough idea!

I'm hoping to run my OCZ DDR500 stock with it's 2.5-3-3-8 timings.

Thanks again all for the input! It's greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,871 Posts
That overclock is most likely possible on the 3700+ Sandiego whether you get it at those settings on your system is going to depend on the CPU core - memory - PSU stability and supply - ambient temperature and hummidity considerations.

cheers

·
Registered
64 Posts
yes, i have a friend that has 64 bit windoze, and he said he wishes he'd never had payed the money for it, mostly nothing but problems for him, it'll run his games, but that's it. of course, the guy is a moron, so that may be a factor. lol

·
Registered
964 Posts
i cant beleive windows 64 isnt up and running as good as it should be by now, it has been out for quite some time now and all i hear is people moaning about it, its a shame because alot of people cant use their 64bit processors to their full potential

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, here is the final order. Parts are arriving Friday. I'm planning to assemble this weekend. A little worried about setting up raid 0 as I haven't set up a raid array before.

Should be a nice machine if everything goes smooth!

Western Digital Caviar SE16 250GB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb

x 2 for RAID setup

SILVERSTONE SST-ST60F 600W Power Supply

Lian Li PC-V1000APlus II Silver Computer Case

Cooling with BT. I also have 1gb of OCZ Gold DDR500 and decided to go with XP Pro SP2.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts