Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so this is my first time bleeding the loop.

HWLabs GTX 240
Apogee GTZ
Swiftech MCP-655B
EK Multires 150 Basic

First I filled my res about 3/4 and turned the pump on, res went down, turned it off, filled it again until res stayed constantly at 3/4th. I left it on and it was really loud and then after a few minutes, the pump became really silent and the loop sounded like it was cracking and popping. Is this the air bubbles? Am I bleeding it right? The res lvl goes down a bit and I keep filling it.

I heard if you tilt the case it helps the loop bleed but when I do this, the pump becomes really loud again. I'm afraid the water isn't priming the pump and I dont' want to shorten the life of my pump.

My res is higher than the pump so it feeds the water to the pump via gravity.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by mastical
View Post

is a hose kinked? The pumps do make noise at first but it goes away fairly quickly.

The hose is not kinked. But it does take a while for my pump to go back to silent.

Quote:

Originally Posted by charliehorse55
View Post

I'm guessing you don't have the luxury of transparent tubing?

No sir I do not. It was not a very bright idea for a first time. :[ I thought white tubing and black compression fittings in a black case would look very slick.

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
Just let it run, are the temps ok?

Shake the crap outta the case while its running then while its off. Take the top fil plug out of the res while doing so but dont spill any water out.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

View Post

Just let it run, are the temps ok?

Shake the crap outta the case while its running then while its off. Take the top fil plug out of the res while doing so but dont spill any water out.

Im actually just running it without any computer parts in it right now. I mounted everything where its suppose to go and Im just tilting the case left and right. I think theres alot of air trapped in the res. But is bleeding suppose to sound like water sizzling?

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by charliehorse55
View Post

I'm guessing you don't have the luxury of transparent tubing?

LOL....

For what it is worth, my loop pops and cracks for about a day after I first fill it up then nothing. It is the sound of cavitation on the impeller. When you first build your loop it isn't totally vertical and there are plenty of little places for pockets of air to be temporarily trapped. As the water flows past, it picks up some of this air (most Rad designs auto purge this air) as millions of tiny little bubbles. This Flows to the reservoir and some of them float to the top, but due to the loop pressure some get sucked back in to the pump intake. The high speed impeller breaks tiny bubbles in to even smaller bubbles and it makes a popping sound when they break at high speed. As the air keeps purging from your loop all this air should accumulate in your res and the noise should go away.

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
kinda more like very small pieces of popcorn poping in another room, hhaa weird huh.

Mine did this for the first 2 days but now it is super silent, cant even tell its running unless i see the water in the res move.

Try moving your res higher than the rad and cpu block to get the air out.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

View Post

kinda more like very small pieces of popcorn poping in another room, hhaa weird huh.

Mine did this for the first 2 days but now it is super silent, cant even tell its running unless i see the water in the res move.

Try moving your res higher than the rad and cpu block to get the air out.

That could be why. I have my res a little lower than the CPU block and about the same level as the radiator inlet/outlet.

I'll try tilting it so res is higher than everything else.

Yeah, it does sound like popcorn!

·
Village Idiot
2,394 Posts
It crackles when you move the case because you're dislodging air bubbles (probably from the radiator). You'll know it's fully bled when this stops happening. It's not bad for the pump. Totally normal.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts