Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I just finished my first build and would now like to try an OC. If you would let me know some good settings or give any advice, such as how high i can go on stock cooling (would not like to upgrade yet) that would be great

I'm using an E6600 with 2 gigs of OCZ pc2-8500 reaper

·
Banned
427 Posts
set cpu:ram ratio to 1:1, then increase cpu speed by 10mhz at a time.keep an eye on your temps,55c should be the limmit for safe temps.then see how far you can go without increasing vcore.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only thing i was wondering is how to keep my memory running at 1066 mhz like it is now. Wouldn't lowing the ratio to 1:1 drastically decrease my memory speed? Is there say a ratio that would work well for both my memory and cpu?

Thanks

·
Nobody
6,466 Posts
after you find a good and stable fsb that you want you can change ratio to whatever, but 1:1 ratio insures your ram is not going to get in the way.

·
Banned
427 Posts
do you have options in your bios to set ram mhz?if so,set it to 533mhz.or change your cpu:ram ratio appropriatly.

·
Banned
427 Posts
then set it to 1066 and keep it there.unless its because you tweaked your ratio,coz it will change as you oc if its cpu:ram ratio.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok so now I'm starting, and I will do as u said, change the ratio to 1:1 and get the cpu Oc before worrying about memory. I'm just wondering where that ratio is. theres a CPU ratio, but it says 9, and so I'm guessing thats my multiplyer.
I'm using an Asus P5k Deluxe.

·
Banned
427 Posts
it might be in the 'advanced chipset features' or 'bios features' catagory.i dont know how your mobo's menus looks like and i dont know much about it either.

·
Nobody
6,466 Posts
it may just give you the Mhz like say a 533mhz but if you look at your rams speed it will say 300Mhz if you have fsb on 300, that would be 1:1. my mb only has 1066,800,533 options for ram ratio. if i set it to 533 its acts like a 1:1 ratio. but i'm not familiar with that mb so don't know for sure. can you throw up a screeny of your bios??

·
Banned
288 Posts
My BIOS does not show me the ratio. I usually use CPU-Z to see the ratio. You can just calculate the ratio yourself, then you know the ratio. If you are going with 1:1, that should be easy to calculate; FSB:RAM. Just remember the core frequency is divided by 4 and the ram frequency is divided by 2. So if your frequency is 800 and the ram is 667, 800/4=200 and since your ram is 667, you have a bit of head room, 200x2=400, so 400 is the ram frequency that will make the core frequency 800 be in ratio 1:1 with the ram; 200:200. You can get more information here.

·
Registered
392 Posts
try this for starters.....

enable multi (8X)
C1E= disable
max cpu value limit= disable
vanderpool=disable
cpu tm function=disable
execute bit set=disable
peci=disable
speedstep=disable

jumperfree config= manual

fsb=400
pcie=100
pci=33.3
spread spectrum=disabled
ram v=2.0 (or 2.1)
cpu core v=1.4 to 1.5
and the rest, just bump up the settings......

this will get you started.

and, goto chipset setup and set your ram clocks, ie( 5-5-5-12) or whatever your ram is rated for, so disable ram by spd.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts