Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i recently purchased the rig below and it should be arriving today. i want to know what helpful hints/suggestions anyone has to offer to a first time builder. what sort of unexpected things should i try to expect? i will be updating this thread as the build progresses and as i OC (hopefully).

·
Registered
318 Posts
You might also want to hide your cables or do something about them, IDE or SATA plus all the others that may be in the way of the air flow. So that there IS an airflow. this will help you loosen temps.

·
Registered
389 Posts
i find it easier to just take your time. first time i built a comp i did cable managements as i built it. Took me a couple hours, but was well worth it.

• Rep+
Reactions: The Duke

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
Do a bench set up first with the MB set upon a nonconductive surface.
You can tap the two terminals pins with the tip of a screwdriver to turn it on... the two pins the case on/off switch connect to... unless the MB already has an intigrated on/off switch being more newer MB are comming with them.
If it boots to the BIOS with the CPU/FHS, RAM, various PS to MB connections KB/Mouse and vid card your good to go for the install
Make sure the standoffs (mounting towers) are matching the holes in the motherboard and only use as many as needed.
Take your time and route the cables as neatly as possible the first time... later once its built is far more a pain.

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
update:

computer is up and running! i got great shipping from newegg (then i went out of town for a few days) but the build went together great. no dead parts and no unexpected surprises. i'm getting windows and everything up to date now and then i'll start overclocking. i was looking in the bios and saw that it had something like an automatic overclock, should i do that or do it manually?

·
Premium Member
6,546 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by stanrc
View Post

update:

computer is up and running! i got great shipping from newegg (then i went out of town for a few days) but the build went together great. no dead parts and no unexpected surprises. i'm getting windows and everything up to date now and then i'll start overclocking. i was looking in the bios and saw that it had something like an automatic overclock, should i do that or do it manually?

Manually, if you want it done properly.

Actually, it's a lot like driving a car with a manual transmission: You're just more in tune with your system. If problems arise, then you ought to be able to determine much more easily what caused these and then fix the issues.

Have fun, and good luck!

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
The mid 50c range is pushing it under full load, 50c max is recommended.
I hope you didn't use an excessive amount of thermal paste! To much is counter productive!
Also, lots of case air flow is always good, so you may want to consider some mods or fan volume improvments.

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i only used the thermal paste that came on my arctic freezer pro, i assume it wasn't too much....it hovered around 48-53 or so even when doing other things and running orthos. and all of my case fans on medium speed. the mb says that my system temp is always 22, can that be right?

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
The BIOS temp for the CPU is a good referance, if its accurate it should reflect 80% of the full load.
Another thing to consider...
1. Was the surface of the HS rough?
2. Was the surface flat?
3. You didn't check 1 or 2
If you said yest to any of the three, you should not only check that but if you find 1 or 2 is a Yes, lap it for much better temps

·
Registered
318 Posts
I don't really know the Antec, all I know is that the TT ThunderBlades do 21 dBA, and 78 CFM, the 12mm version

compare them to the Antec

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
The Antec 120 TriCool which are provided in the Nine Hundred flow 39/56/79CFM.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts