Overclock.net banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today I put together my first build, I got everything plugged in and pushed the power button, it ran for 10 maybe 20 seconds until I turned it off. After turning it off there was a horrible and frightening smell of burning electronics. Now it won't turn on no matter what I do, when I press the power the led on the mother board flashes for a brief instant but nothing else does anything and here's my concern: I had some real issues putting on my cpu cooler (I'm using the stock one right now) and the thermal paste was kinda jacked up when I turned it on. Did I fry my cpu???

·
Premium Member
7,245 Posts
Something may have been fried... but you must identify where the burnt smell comes from. If the paste was more or less there and the cooler was placed on the CPU securely I wouldn't worry about the CPU. The PSU is the most likely candidate, but you'll simply have to take everything out and use the sniff-o-meter to find the failed part.

Maybe someone else has other ideas... sorry it happened on the first build.

The morale of the story is that if something doesn't work when you push a button once, if you don't fix it, it won't work the second time you push the button, it only aggravates the problem.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts