Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so right now I have a piece of crap computer and its not worth upgrading so I've been planning my first pc build for a month or two now.
Please let me know what you think on it and any suggestions you may have. I have a low budget since most money from my checks is going towards college.

Anyway I plan to mainly use it to play LOTS of video games, a lot. Hopefully some newer games too
as well as Photoshop and making AMVs in Sony Vegas and the usual everyday tasks.

Here is what I plan on getting so far(btw I'm using Newegg):

CASE: XION Dazl XON-503 Black with Blue LED Light Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811208025
(I like the look and read a lot of reviews saying it has pretty good airflow)

MOBO: EVGA 123-YW-E175-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 750i SLI ATX Intel

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 Wolfdale 2.53GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80571E7200 (Seen a lot of reviews saying its one of the best core 2 duos to overclock this year and that its known to safely OCs between 3.6-4.0 GHz on stock voltages?)

Graphics Card: EVGA 512-P3-N861-TR GeForce 9600 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card
(Eventually plan on getting another to run 'em in SLI once I get more money)

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250310AS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive (all the hard drives of a higher size ive seen havent seemed to have as good reviews as this on their reliability so i may eventually get another)

Memory: OCZ Platinum 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2N10662GK

PSU: BFG Tech BFGR650PSU 650W ATX12V V2.0 / EPS 12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Power Supply

I have it all saved in my wish list on newegg instead of bookmarking every little item so if you want more of a look at the specs and reviews of each here is the link: https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/M...%20600%20build

So what do you all think about this build so far? Any suggestions on anything? How would this be playing most of today's games do you think? I plan on overclocking with it once I buy the parts too.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Can you give me a straight-up budget? It's hard to pick out parts for people who just say "cheap, please".

Here's what I'd get, with comments at the bottom.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813138118
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115017
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814102797

RAM, PSU and HDD are fine. If you're going to be OC'ing heavily I'd stay away from an nVidia chipset, if you push a board too far they get data corruption on the SATA ports...meaning you just lost your OS install on your HDD. I'd get an Intel chipset, and the best OC'ing chipset is the P45 for a low budget, they've done tons of records. Let's be frank with each other, you're using photoshop and want to game, demanding tasks. A quad-core is slowly becoming more essential than ever, duos are being phased out as games are being threaded for true quadcores. I suggest the common workhorse of them all, the Q6600. It doesn't OC as well as it used to I admit, but it'll still easily get to 3.2GHz (which is really all you need...anything over the 3GHz range is for s***s and giggles or bragging rights, it has very little impact on gaming and most other programs). Let's face it, that's not a terrible OC from a 2.4GHz stock clock, and you're still getting a hefty 8MB of L2 cache, better than duos. I would also suggest the 4870 over the 9600GT (a budget card whose SLI wouldn't be all that great anyway). The 4870 can gobble up the majority of the games on the market, and you can CF x8/x8 on the P45 chipset...not as good as a true x16/x16 on an X48 but it's still better than one card. I seriously doubt you'll hold onto this card long or CF it anyway...technology increases exponentially and the 4000 series came out in the summer; next spring some new toy will be available.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
At the moment I'm on about a 500-650 dollar budget for this currently. Wow, Can't believe I missed that quad core and its only 60 bucks more or so o_O and seriously considering that mobo now as well. You make a lot of good points on each of those. As far as the graphics card goes I'm planning ons ticking with the one i chose for now and then getting better ones once my budget allows for it I think. I really appreciate the input

·
Registered
396 Posts
I agree with grmnassin's suggestions.
I would however take a look at this page for RAM http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...e=&srchInDesc=

DDR2-800 is plenty 1066 is overkill, and OCZ Overclocks pretty well whether you want to OC timings or clock speed. You can get a 4GB kit (2x2gb) for about the same price as you'd pay for that faster speed. You will benefit more from the 4gb especially when you are doing photoshop. And in the future you may want to upgrade to 8gb and you wouldn't have to get rid of the 2 you have now.

I currently have a 4870. I opted for the Diamond XOC version which is Core 900, and mem 1100 (4400 effective) And it runs all my games at max settings (including crysis) even though I am only using a 1280x1024 monitor.

Your link doesn't work.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hmm i'll take that into consideration then. and whoops my bad, heres the fixed link:
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/Pu...umber=12519727

I'm currenly checking out better graphics cards, and switched the 250GB to a 400GB HD.
The 2GB of the OCZ 1066 ram would cost me 35 bucks currently for one stick of 2gb. Instant rebates
s I could get 4gb for aout 60-70 bucks. Yeah, photoshop is a really heavy app. Even the version that I'm using (CS2) I agree on that much.

Well, Personaly I'm more of an nVidia person. Never really liked the Ati stuff much, but I'll check that out anyway. Though for nVidia whats better, 9800GTX or 8800GTS? Also In SLI mode which would be better? From the looks of it here I think the 9800 looks like it would be a better choice if I'm not mistaken? Just curious but I'm still gonna check out he Ati cards as well.

·
Registered
670 Posts
you said you have a budget of 650 dollars but what do you have so far that you can use? do you have a case+ monitor or old dvd drive + hard drive you can use for this new system? I am building a similar system myself for around 650 bucks but heres what i recommend.

If you have a paypal account and ebay accoutn go to ebay and get yourself a HIS ati 4850 i saw someone selling it new for 140 bucks that card will max out almost all games out now depending on the resolution you are playing in specially if you have 19 inch 1280x1024 it gets super high FPS even on crysis with AA off off course.

with the live.com 25% cash back you can get that card super cheap you will only have to wait 60 days but you still get it cheap and money back.

For motherboard get yourself a P45 it semi new technology and it has the new south bridge chipset the x58 use. I extremely recommend you splurge out on motherboard because its one of the pieces most vital to system.

I am personally recommending and buying myself a:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128358

I recommend either a E8400 CPU or a E5200
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819116072
depending on your overclocking skills you can get this CPU to 3.0 easily and trust me this dual core is more than enough for all games. If you get a E8400 you can get 4.0 and that will run just as good as any expensive CPU.

Memory you can get cheap G skill memory with same timing and gas latency as the expensive dominators for almost half the price i recommend it don't waste money on anything else this is the best deal out there.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231166

like i said again it all depends on your budget and what you have so far to use.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I would also suggest not getting the 9800 gpu. I don't say that because it's a bad card, but rather, because there are a plethora of other cards, not much more expensive, that will last a good deal longer. The nVidia GTX 260 is a great buy, and can be bought for not much over $225. I'd also suggest buying the ram in 2gb sticks instead of one. It's a little more expensive per gig that way, but if you want to use all the slots on your mobo at some point, you won't have to replace any ram.

Regarding the CPU, I'd definitely suggest a quad, also. They're a little more expensive up front, but they'll last longer, and your cost per year will be lower. For modern gaming, it's more useful, and it's definitely helpful for graphics and video and sound work.

If you can fit it in your budget, you might want to buy another smaller hdd just for your OS install.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I have an old case that I may end up using instead of buying a new one so I have more to spend on other parts. I also have an DvD/CD-R drive that I'm going to use in this and as far as the monitor goes I'm going to be getting an extra off a friend for $50 bucks though my dads gonna be paying for that monitor. It's a 19 inch. They don't use it anymore since they got new monitors. The only hard drive I have is the 80GB in my current craptacular pc and that pc is going to be my little brothers once I build my pc.

Also, a question on operating systems. I know XP 32-bit only recognizes about 3-3.5 GB of Ram if you put 4GB in. The current OSs we have are Windows XP Home Edition 32-bit as well as a copy of Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit.
What should I put on my new computer if I want to be able to make use of the whole 4gb? Vista 64-bit? I love XP a thousand times more than Vista but most games are coming out for Vista it seems so would that be the best choice? Vista 64-bit?

I was considering the GTX 260 but that would put me over my budget for this and I'd have to wait a bit to get it then. I'm also probably going to swich to gettng a quad core instead of the core 2 duo most likely.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I'd drop the nforce board for a P45, for around $100 USD, and use the $40 difference to get a 4850, which will give you more gaming performance now, and also gives you the option to pick up a second 4850 for crossfire. For gaming, you won't see much of a boost in performance by going with a quad, so the E7200 OC'ed to 3.4-3.8GHz will partly make up for the 3MB L2 cache, and give you more bang for the buck. Most modern games aren't optimized for multi-threading, and those that do support it, implement it poorly. By the time the gaming industry really catches up to the hardware there will probably be better/cheaper multi-core options.

For the OS, stick with XP for now unless you really want to see what DX10 has to offer in games.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, I was considering staying with XP for a bit for starters and then later on probably switch to vista some day. So far I've officially decided on my Processor, Graphics Card, HDD, PSU, and OS. Still contemplating the mobo and memory. Right now with the curent parts i have selected at that newegg wishlist i made for me to keep track of the parts i want the total has reached $613.94

Since the start so far I've changed graphics card choice, HDD choice, and processor choice for a bit then decided on the Core 2 Duo instad.
You guys/girls are all really helpful. I greatly appreciate the input.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts