Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.

Just installed the CPU to the motherboard and the stock cooler to the cpu (phenom II 940). As I am a noob, i used my fingernail to scratch off a little of the thermal compound, not realising it was thermal compound and thinking it was a plastic cover (oops). My question is, would this effect the cpu in any way if a little bit of the thermal compound is missing? 95% of the cpu still has the compound on.

Anyone? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by rangibro
View Post

Hi.

Just installed the CPU to the motherboard and the stock cooler to the cpu (phenom II 940). As I am a noob, i used my fingernail to scratch off a little of the thermal compound, not realising it was thermal compound and thinking it was a plastic cover (oops). My question is, would this effect the cpu in any way if a little bit of the thermal compound is missing? 95% of the cpu still has the compound on.

Anyone? Thanks.

no, the thermal compound will squeeze around under the sink, covering the cpu.

• Rep+
Reactions: rangibro

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Usually we here at Overclock.net wipe all that off and apply our own thermal compound. If you aren't overclocking and there is still 95% of the compound then you should be fine. However, like I said, usually we like to replace that stuff with better stuff.

• Rep+

·
Efficiencycionado
5,587 Posts
it will be fine. besides, you'll need to buy a good cooler if you want to overclock that thing.

• Rep+

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
940+stock wax+stock cooler does not sound like it will end well though.

the stock cooler IS pretty damn skippy, I had (and have another) one in the past that came with an Athlon X2 4400 (socket 939) best cooler I had on my s754 newcastle till I got a Zalman.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all.. Will definately upgrade the compond and cooler before I overclock.
+1 Repped all who responded!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts