Overclock.net banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so i am going to be making a custom case soon. I have never done this before and i really hope that it turned out as good as i picture it. I am wondering what you guys think is the best way to cut out 120MM fan holes into an older tall tower made from metal. I am also going to be putting in a custom acrylic side panel and doing a black paint job (inside and out of the case) with a painted white design on the acrylic window. I would love the design on the window to be uv reactive. Do you guys have any suggestions on the type of paint i should use for the primer, black and uv reactive coats? (if you can even do the uv reactive part haha) I am going to be putting 2-4 light bars in the case and at least 4 120MM green led fans in the case.

·
Registered
988 Posts
See my sig for the fan holes. That's my preferred method.

As for the paint, I think Lambent Darkness 7 is the reigning forum expert. Check out his guide.

Good luck.

·
Programmer
28,696 Posts
look at other peoples case mods on overclock.net. you will get the best ideas going around to supe up ya case.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Triscuit
View Post

Ok so i am going to be making a custom case soon. I have never done this before and i really hope that it turned out as good as i picture it. I am wondering what you guys think is the best way to cut out 120MM fan holes into an older tall tower made from metal. I am also going to be putting in a custom acrylic side panel and doing a black paint job (inside and out of the case) with a painted white design on the acrylic window. I would love the design on the window to be uv reactive. Do you guys have any suggestions on the type of paint i should use for the primer, black and uv reactive coats? (if you can even do the uv reactive part haha) I am going to be putting 2-4 light bars in the case and at least 4 120MM green led fans in the case.

You can pick up a great little Hole Saw attachment for a drill at your local home depot. If you have a corded drill - or a higher powered cordless one - it cuts through with a nearly perfect hole pretty quick. 4" - 4 1/4" (depending on how much overhang you want) will be perfect for a 120mm fan.

Link to The One I Have

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Yeah - I have a little Black & Decker 7 volt drill and it cut through the plastic bezel no problem...but it was just too weak to make it through the actual case metal. I borrowed my buddies 18v one and it sliced through no problem.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
awesome. I am now looking for a good tall tower for cheap. The one i was planning on using won't hold my cpu cooler (not deep enough
)

·
Programmer
28,696 Posts
nice tuk case mod clbkdaz. hey do you remeber me? the guy who asked about the coolers. i decided to get the nv120 premium. can you remeber me, ive changed my display pic tho lol.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BradleyW
View Post

nice tuk case mod clbkdaz. hey do you remeber me? the guy who asked about the coolers. i decided to get the nv120 premium. can you remeber me, ive changed my display pic tho lol.

Of course...you were having trouble getting your Q6600 stable...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triscuit

awesome. I am now looking for a good tall tower for cheap. The one i was planning on using won't hold my cpu cooler (not deep enough )

Well - It's not neccesarily tall you need, rather than deep. Antec Performance series cases, Cosmos, Lian's, and plenty others are out there.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
no i don't need tall for it i just wanted a taller one for some of the things i want to do with the paint

1 - 12 of 12 Posts