Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i just completed my first build today, and after hooking up the power cords and everything i went to press the power switch but nothing boots up. Here's my specs

Cooler Master Storm Scout
Intel i5 760
Asus Maximus iii formula
OCZ special ops ddr3 1600 (pressed go button before booting)
xfx Radeon 5770
OCZ ModxStream 500W (i'm hoping it's not because of this)

When i flipped the switch on the back of the powersupply, the symbol in the middle on the motherboard lights up and so does the start and reset buttons on the motherboard. When I go to press the start button all that happens is the surpreme fx audio card led flashes then nothing else. No fans or harddrives or heatsinks spinning no sparks no nothing. I seriously hope its not because of my powersupply and more because i didn't plug something in correctly.

either way, help =(

·
Unwilling Beta tester
7,188 Posts
Don't worry, it is quite hard to plug things in incorrectly as all the leads / sockets tend to be set up to only work the right way. It IS easy to forget to plug something in though so...

First, and most simple things, first:

Have you plugged the power switch cable into the motherboard?
Have you plugged the BOTH power cables into the mother board? There should be one large rectangular one on the right of the board and one smaller 8 pin rectangular one near the top left.

Posting a picture of the inside of your set-up showing the motherboard and all the connections would help us see what is going on there.

Edit: Sorry if this sounds like I am talking down to you but I have no idea of your level of computer expertise.

Edit II: Your PSU is big enough for your rig, and it is a, usually, good make.

·
Premium Member
3,845 Posts
make sure that your power cord for power supply is plugged in (to wall and psu) and the switch on the psu is on (if it has one)

Make sure that the power switch button wires are connected to the correct headers on the motherboard (try reversing them if they look to be on the right pins)

If everything looks good, test your psu to make sure you didnt get a dud.
heres a guide- its simple but you should unhook your valuable new equipment first, but feel free to leave a fan plugged in.
http://www.overclock.net/faqs/96712-...upply-psu.html

·
Registered
156 Posts
Just had that happen for another build. First of all make sure you installed the standoffs under the motherboard. Next Check that ever fan is conencted to either the motherboard or the power supply. Check that the Cpu power is plugged in, and check that all the front panel connections are done right. Most likely you didn't plug something in, as your fans don't even spin. Don't worry. If anything, try taking it completely apart and starting fresh, you never know.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
HDD LED on some mobo's, if that's not plugged in the correct polarity that'll stop boot. That's the case with both by gigabyte boards

·
Unwilling Beta tester
7,188 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wassap View Post
did u put the copper screw-thinghys between the mobo and the case?
stand-offs, although I do like copper screw-thingys

·
Unwilling Beta tester
7,188 Posts
I have just read the manual for your board.

All the above is good advice, the best way to go about this is to check one thing at a time. Start with the power supply connections to the board, then move on to power button and HDD leads from the case to the mother board.

Another thing to check is that the RAM is in the correct slots. For one or two sticks use the red slots. Check that the RAM is installed properly, it needs to be pushed in FIRMLY, those one sided clips can be stiff (mine are).

If it all fails STAY CALM! We can still help.

If the worst comes to the worst all of your kit is still under warranty, and you can easily get it replaced if it is broken.

·
Unwilling Beta tester
7,188 Posts
Hey avalonstar, did you get any further on this? Hope things are working out for you!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts