Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
My claws fix anything
3,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, for a while now, I've been talking about getting around to this "custom case" that I've been wanting to build. And its just this week that I've been able to actually get started on it (turns out, I'm great at procrastinating, I leave for school again in less than 24hrs, and as you see, I still have alot of work to do).

OK, here is what I started with. I got a great deal on a 4x8 sheet of oak veneered 1/2inch plywood ($30... thats about 50% off), so basically everything that you see is made out of that.

EDIT: The exterior dimensions are 18x18x9 (in), so this is large, but remember, because of the 1/2in wood being used, the actual space i have to work with inside is an inch smaller (17x17x8in)... which should give me just enough room to get a Xig S1283 in there if I want one down the road.

This is all of the physical pieces of the case. My friend has access to a CNC mill, so I managed to have this cut out one there, which was a HUGE help (mostly for the openings for the drives, and the huge X on the side and top). This makes everything really easy for me, basically all I have to do is put it together...

this is what the case will look like when its done, with the exception of color, but we'll get to that later.

Unfortunately, like I said, I don't have alot of time to finish this (so far its been 4 days since receiving the cut wood, and bout 4hrs of time has been put into it), so I forgot to take the time to get any pictures until after the main part of the case had been built.

So here are some shots of the inside of the case

This one is the basic layout of the case. As you'll notice, I'm not gonna have a mobo tray, because since I'm working with 1/2in wood here, to have a tray like that INSIDE the case would make the already wide case, that much wider, because that would take up about another inch worth of space.

This is how I mounted my PSU. Notice that the PSU actually mounts flush with the back of the case(on the outside), because I didn't have enough room to mount it traditionally. The PSU is help up by a 1/2in piece of wood that I glued in place to support it.

The drives are supported by some small pieces of the oak veneered plywood.

Here is a shot of the outside of the front panel. I mounted the DVD drive sideways for a number of reasons. As strange as it may sound, I've always been annoyed with having two drives right on top of eachother... because when they both open up, you can never get to the CD in the bottom drive. So I decided that I would change things up and do it this way on my custom build. Now I never have to be annoyed by that again.

And now... for the part about the color.

I imagine that everyone thats reading through this is confused by why in the world I would want a wooden case. There are alot of reasons, some of which are just that I've been wanting to get better at woodworking, so I needed a project that I could have fun with. This does that just great.

Also, I have always thought that it would be sweet to have a case made out of Ebony (black hardwood), because its common to have a case that is black... I mean, dells have been black for the past like 5 years or so, so just having a black computer is no longer "cool". My idea for an ebony case was that It would be black, but it would be enough different, because with the wood, you get a much better texture, and you can see the wood grain showing through the color.

The problem with ebony though is that its VERY expensive (imported from Africa), and that its hard to work with. SO as a poor college student, I looked for a cheaper solution to my dream, and found it in a technique known as "ebonizing" (simulated ebony). Ebonizing is done in a few different ways, but the most well known way is to use white vinegar and some rusty nails sit for a few days to make a "stain". The rust gets dissolved, and when you apply the "stain" to the wood, the iron reacts with the tannins in the wood, and give it a very similar look to ebony.

Here is an example of what I mean.

And here is an example of some ebonized oak and walnut compared to some real ebony.

So, this is the result that I'm after... I'll be honest, I think that it will look sweet (lit up white by LED fans from the inside), plus it will be enough different than the "normal" black case with blue LED fans, that it will stand out, but not by being loud... it will just be "different"

Anyway, the only problem I have so far, is that you're supposed to let that solution sit for about a week before its full strength... I dont have that much time. So I made up some last night, and after just 12 hrs, this is the kind of results I've got so far on one of my test pieces.

So while its not as dark (and please note, the finish hasn't been applied, so thats why it doesn't look as shiny, and the color isn't as rich) it still is significantly different than the normal color of Oak. The cool thing was to watch it change color. It only took about 10seconds for it to change from normal oak color to this. Sweet.

Anyway, I'll keep you all updated, as this whole thing has to be done by tomorrow morning at 5am. So by tonight or maybe tomorrow evening, you should see some pictures that are much closer to the final product.

Your thoughts?

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
It looks like a winner. Bordering the front outline of the drives with metal might give it a better look than just flush mounted with the wood. Needs something to dress up the front a bit. Good job though.

·
Premium Member
20,367 Posts
Very interesting. There are so many cases out of metal and acrylic, its nice to see something different.

·
Premium Member
16,114 Posts
I think walnut is my fav out of the finishes, though the gloss looks really nice. I also agree that the front looks a bit plain, but it looks like you know it's going to be really clean on the inside. Definitely a conversation piece

·
My claws fix anything
3,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by losttsol View Post
It looks like a winner. Bordering the front outline of the drives with metal might give it a better look than just flush mounted with the wood. Needs something to dress up the front a bit. Good job though.
Thanks for the input.

Actually, the original design calls for a door to cover the front, and one of those way cool white LED power buttons that would show through the door when closed, but due to time constraints, that had to be pushed back... but yes, there will be more on the front that just that.

And thanks for all of the responses, this is my first attempt at case building, so I guess I'm ok if everything doesn't exactly go "perfect", especially at first.

·
Registered
833 Posts
nice idea dude

im waiting on my A900 to arrive so i can start the paint on it

Good luck on ur Build

Cheers,
Blackjack23

·
Premium Member
16,114 Posts
it's definitely a lot better than anything I could do. Seems you spent some pretty good time on getting the wood cuts right and those little slots cut out.

·
My claws fix anything
3,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One of my other ideas was to make a computer desk/bookshelf, and build the case into the desk, so that people wouldn't be able to see the computer other than the monitor... the thought of a nicely finished and stained hardwood computer seems strange at first, but there are situations when it would be sweet.

EDIT:

I'll post more tonight after I get off of work.

·
My claws fix anything
3,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, things took a little longer than I would have liked to get everything all finished up, but as of right now, everything is setup and the computer is running just fine.

I'm still traveling, so I don't have any pictures right now, but hopefully by tonight I will be able to post up some pics for everyone to see.

Some interesting things happened with the color (didn't turn as dark as I would have liked, but I still think it looks pretty cool, as its a dark grey color, and the oak taping I used on the edges to hide the plywood, actually turned a darker color, so I have this interesting two tone effect.) To be honest, I think that the finish most reminds me of vintage stereo equiptment, which is cool with me.

I think the part that everyone will find the most interesting, is how I ended up mounting the hard drives. The hard drives are SUSPENDED by fishing line (should be nice and quiet), and it actually looks pretty cool. Now some cable management will be in order, but it'll be touch because the other side panel doesn't come off, and there isn't a mobo tray. I guess we'll see how creative I can get.

Anyway, I'll post the new pictures tonight.

Thanks for the replys and input.

·
My claws fix anything
3,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, so now that I Finally have pictures, I figured that I would post them up for everyone, mostly just because I feel like I started this thread, and now I want to "finish" it.

ok, here it goes:

This shot is of the finished case... notice how its not near as black as the other ebonized pieces that I had seen, however, there are a few things to mention. I havn't finished this wood with anything other than the "stain". If I polyurethaned this, it would add considerable luster and also give it the "wet" look. But for right now, I am leaving it as is, because of the time limits, and I want to make sure that I want to darken it, before I do anything that cant be reversed.

Also notice that the oak edging tape turned a much darker color than the rest of the wood. Interesting.

Here is the crazy inside of the case. Believe it or not, but this is actually much better wire management than what it was when I initially installed everything. The lack of a mobo tray makes things difficult. All of the extra wires are hiding behind the top optical drive. Oh and the crooked HDD is now straight.

Here is one of my favorite parts. I mounted this old IDE drive by hanging it with some triangulated fishing line... and its actually REALLY stable in there, and it makes it easy to hide the huge cable and power cords right behind it, and it gets some awesome airflow from that front intake.

This is a shot of the case running in more natural light. I think it looks much better without the flash of the camera. Plus the two tone color scheme matches my DVD burner.

Here is a shot of why I put the drives in sideways. Personally I think this is pretty cool looking, and VERY functional.

Well, there you have it, thats basically the whole case build... started and finished in less than a week, and I'll have you know that I finished the last part of it in the hotel last night. I have some more little details and stuff to do, but for right now, this is how its gonna be.

Thanks guys, and enjoy the pics.

·
Premium Member
4,715 Posts
The wood looks like it belongs on a high end speaker.
Question, does your HDD gyro?

I might do this... but with a double layered mobo tray for some epic cable management.

And just my personal opinion, put some smokey/grey semi transparent acrylic on that "X". The top left of the front also looks a little empty IMHO. Maybe a good spot for nice one of these?

http://www.svc.com/a2368.html

or another one of those white fans?

Edit: I meant to say this: Very nice crisp cuts.

Edit: The edging is darker because when you cut across the "veins" of the wood, you open them up. When you apply stain, it gets soaked right up, resulting in a darker stain.

·
My claws fix anything
3,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:

Originally Posted by theCanadian View Post
The wood looks like it belongs on a high end speaker.
Question, does your HDD gyro?

I might do this... but with a double layered mobo tray for some epic cable management.

And just my personal opinion, put some smokey/grey semi transparent acrylic on that "X". The top left of the front also looks a little empty IMHO. Maybe a good spot for nice one of these?

http://www.svc.com/a2368.html

or another one of those white fans?

Edit: I meant to say this: Very nice crisp cuts.

Well, actually, the HDDs don't move or make any noise that I can tell, its actually working quite well.

I am planning to do some more to the side panel, its just been really busy lately. Right now the plan is to use some black window screen to cover the front and the X on the side, because i need to have the airflow. But the thought of some acrilic has occurred to me.

I'll be doing some more work on it here in the next week or so, I'll keep everyone updated.

Thanks

·
Banned
11,136 Posts
I love to see a wood case.. I would love to see it with a Very dark but very wood looking stain. Or a Red Wood Color.. I dont know. The Workmanship is Excellent. Great Work.

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Nice work Logan.
With all that room, I'd like to suggest sheet-metal flatstock prebent for airflow foils from the bottom fan steered to the video card. Control the flow of the fans. Curve sheetmetal in an arc, paint it and mount it. Can be as stylish and inventive as you'd like them to be.

Keep it happening, gL

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
dude you just inspired me to build a 100% plexiglass case..

1 - 20 of 27 Posts