Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, long time overclocker building my first custom loop and looking for some advice on my current build list and some help filling in the blanks with all the other things I may need.

Goals: The goal for the build is purely function/performance, ideally cramming in as much radiator/cooling capacity as will physically fit in the case. Another goal I have is to keep this build Nickel free (if that's even possible).

System: I will be transplanting my current system which is an [email protected] 4x8 b-die at 4133-17-17-17-37, and an Asus strix 2080 ti all housed in an H500m.

Build list:

Case: Caselabs Magnum M8 w/ Pedestal
CPU block: Optimus Foundation - Copper (ordered)
GPU block: Heatkiller IV Asus RTX 2080 TI Strix GPU Block - Copper
Pump/Res: EKWB EK-XTOP Revo Dual D5 PWM Pumps + EKWB EK-RES X3 150 Lite Reservoir (ordered)
Rads: 6 x Hardware Labs BlackIce SR2 360mm
Fans: 36 x Noctua NF-A12-25
Fittings: Most likely Optimus but looking for good recommendations here. Also looking for fittings and advice for leveraging the fill and drain spouts built into the case.
Tubing: Looking for good recommendations here.
Liquid: Looking for good recommendations here, looking for performance/reliability over pretty.

Misc: What else do I need as a first time custom loop builder? any specific tools you guys find invaluable?

Questions/Concerns:

1) Any 2080 ti Strix owners comment on the best copper plate WB? The heatkiller is all I could find to be honest. The Alphacool had a copper baseplate but NI plated cooling fins. For any people with the heatkiller IV, I assume I don't NEED the backplate right? Can't find it available anywhere.

2) Any thoughts on the dual pump/res? Mainly I am concerned about 2 things: 1) is the 150 res sufficient? 2) where would I mount this? I was think this may sit on the bottom 360 rad if I mount the fans on the bottom and this dual pump/res on top of the 360.

3) Rads: as I mentioned above. I have done a ton of research and I am seeing conflicting info on what I can ideally fit in here. Most of the reviews I have seen say you can only really use one of the two 480mm rad mounts and that they will conflict with each other. Although I have seen at least a couple people with Enthoo 719s post they were able to get thinner 480mm rads to work. Any Enthoo 719 owners with stacked cases who could comment? Once I nail down fitment and quantity, I also need solid advice on which rads to buy. I have a Microcenter close by and they have both the EKWB SE and PE 480mm rads in stock. I was thinking about picking up 2 of each at the very least to test fitment in the case when it arrives later this week.

Really excited to get this build going!

·
Premium Member
2,433 Posts
Radiators you're going to look at Hardware Labs, either the GTX or GTS based on how wide you want it. Stay away from the EK radiators.
Fittings depends on if your going hardline or soft tubing. Optimus makes some very nice fittings so you can't go wrong either way with them
Liquid would be Mayhems, either their pre-mix or distilled with biocide and inhibitor.

For Misc items I'd suggest adding a temp sensor for the water temp, flow meter and temp sensor for ambient air.

As for drain try and put it at the lowest point in your loop if you can. Filling I always just use the reservoir

·
Registered
12 Posts
Be aware the bottom mounted radiator needs to be 120mm wide, anything bigger will not fit. My EK SE360 is 130mm wide and does not fit but my SE240 does. Currently have the SE360 in the front and a Bitspower Leviathan Slim 360 in the bottom. I have a 28mm gap between the SE360 and the side of the tray where you may be thinking of mounting one of your radiators.

If you plan on mounting radiators in both the front and side mounts consider buying multi-port rads, specifically those with ports at top of the tank as opposed to the side of the tank. I think this will make connecting these two radiators together much easier

The small res will be fine but will require a lot of refills to prime the loop, used to use a small res but now have one of EK's new FLT 360 Reservoirs with a EK D5 pump attached.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice, still trying to figure out what I will use for the bottom 360, although I have a couple ordered that are both 133mm wide because I had read some people had luck mounting wider rads in the bottom when putting the fans in first or in a push/pull config. I have both a hardware labs 360gts and sr-2 on the way to test fit (with a healthy amount of skepticism it will work). I was hoping to use another Sr-2 up top, but they are 60mm thick, will see how it goes.

For the 480s I ordered 2 hardware labs 480gts. For tubing I went with 25’ of Mayhems tubing and for coolant I went with Mayhems X1 clear. For fittings I went with bitpower everything including:

Flow sensor
Inline filter
2 g1/4 temp sensors
20 compression fittings
Air release valve
4 90 degree adapaters
4 m to m extenders
4 f to f extenders
T block rotary fitting (for drain)

Other misc stuff:

Mayhems Blitz stage 1
Aquacomputers Quadro
Phanteks fill and drain spouts and ball valve (for drain)
Fill bottle
Soft tube cutter

Stuff has started arriving, think I will be waiting on the Optimus block the longest, but will give me time to test fit the rads and settle on something there.

Any other advice for a nice high performance 120mm narrow 360 for the bottom? Anything else I am missing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well this happened today:). Found a really nice Caselabs M8 with a pedestal that I will be using for my build instead. Gives me a bit more room for the level of overkill I am hoping to achieve.

I’ve modified my build list in the first post to replace my rads with HWLabs 360 SR2s with Noctua NF-A12x25 in push/pull. Reasoning:

1) going for a silent build, The NF-A12x25s in push pull should never ever need to get above 1200pm, and at 1200 and below they are literally inaudible.

2) Low restriction

3) GTXs are literally no where to be found

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Build is underway and wanted to get some airflow advice while I wait for the last of my gear to arrive.

Final rad/fan configuration I was considering, as follows:

Front right: HWLabs 360GTS with 3 fans in push (in)
Front left: 3 x fans only (in)
Top right: HWLabs 360 SR-2 with 6 fans push/pull (in)
Top left: HWLabs 360 SR-2 with 6 fans push/pull (in)
Pedestal right: HWLabs 360 SR-2 with 6 fans push/pull (in)
Pedestal left: HWLabs 360 SR-2 with 6 fans push/pull (in)

Exhausting I have a 120mm at the back of the motherboard compartment and 2x 140mm fans in the pedestal.

Case layout is a bit weird as it is reversed. Meaning my motherboard is oriented upside down. So
CPU will be towards the bottom of the case.

Goal is lots of positive pressure and maximizing intake for rads for as close to ambient air as possible. The one change I was considering making was to flip the direction of the top left rad to exhaust instead of intake. If I did that I would be pulling air in from the front left 3 fans. There will be some warm gear on that side, though; including my power supply, a hard drive cage and my dual d5 pumps.

Pic for progress:)

·
Premium Member
2,433 Posts
Build is underway and wanted to get some airflow advice while I wait for the last of my gear to arrive.

Final rad/fan configuration I was considering, as follows:

Front right: HWLabs 360GTS with 3 fans in push (in)
Front left: 3 x fans only (in)
Top right: HWLabs 360 SR-2 with 6 fans push/pull (in)
Top left: HWLabs 360 SR-2 with 6 fans push/pull (in)
Pedestal right: HWLabs 360 SR-2 with 6 fans push/pull (in)
Pedestal left: HWLabs 360 SR-2 with 6 fans push/pull (in)

Exhausting I have a 120mm at the back of the motherboard compartment and 2x 140mm fans in the pedestal.

Case layout is a bit weird as it is reversed. Meaning my motherboard is oriented upside down. So
CPU will be towards the bottom of the case.

Goal is lots of positive pressure and maximizing intake for rads for as close to ambient air as possible. The one change I was considering making was to flip the direction of the top left rad to exhaust instead of intake. If I did that I would be pulling air in from the front left 3 fans. There will be some warm gear on that side, though; including my power supply, a hard drive cage and my dual d5 pumps.

Pic for progress:)

Reverse is going to add some extra work to plan it out right. I'm dealing with the same issue on a TH10, my M8 is luckily normal so didn't have that issue.

First I'd consider the PSU and MB chambers separate. Air from one side doesn't really impact the other. My layout atm is bottom radiators in pedestal as intake blowing in at each other. Front bays of both sides as intake, not seeing good temps so will be switching those to exhaust. Top radiators as intake.

I had the same setup before I upgraded to the TH10 with pedestal and I was seeing a delta of around 3-5c. I think I could of did a bit better switching the front bays from intake to exhaust. You're just leaving a single 120mm as exhaust.
Then again I also have decimax filters on each intake and those kill my airflow.

Also be aware when using the front HDD cages on the MB side you'll be right up against the bigger GPU's. I have about an inch, if even that, between my HDD cables and my GPU cables.

Also want to go even more overkill add a second pedestal

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Reverse is going to add some extra work to plan it out right. I'm dealing with the same issue on a TH10, my M8 is luckily normal so didn't have that issue.

First I'd consider the PSU and MB chambers separate. Air from one side doesn't really impact the other. My layout atm is bottom radiators in pedestal as intake blowing in at each other. Front bays of both sides as intake, not seeing good temps so will be switching those to exhaust. Top radiators as intake.

I had the same setup before I upgraded to the TH10 with pedestal and I was seeing a delta of around 3-5c. I think I could of did a bit better switching the front bays from intake to exhaust. You're just leaving a single 120mm as exhaust.

Then again I also have decimax filters on each intake and those kill my airflow.

Also be aware when using the front HDD cages on the MB side you'll be right up against the bigger GPU's. I have about an inch, if even that, between my HDD cables and my GPU cables.

Also want to go even more overkill add a second pedestal

I am actually looking forward to the potential advantages of the reversed layout, whether I feel the juice was worth the squeeze? Ask me after:)

I think I have my final loop order down as follows:

Ek 150 res (main compartment)—>
Ek dual d5 pump (back compartment)—>
Bitspower in-line filter —>
Bulkhead Koolance QD3 fitting —>
Heatkiller Pro IV Copper (while I await the Optimus)—>
Koolance QD3 fitting—>
HWLabs SR2 (top of main compartment) with Bitspower water temp sensor—>
Koolance QD3 fitting—>
Heatkiller IV 2080Ti block—>
Bulkhead Koolance QD3 fitting—>
HWLabs SR2 (top of back compartment)—>
HWLabs SR2 (pedestal, back compartment)—>
HWLabs SR2 (pedestal, main compartment)—>
HWLabs 360GTS (front of main compartment)—>
Bitspower flow indicator/sensor—>
Ek 150 res

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got everything built last night and my 2080 Ti and 10900k moved over. Good news is I didn’t run into deal breakers when building the loop and have it filled and all the air bubbles out and leak tested for awhile. Bad news is I can’t boot. Mobo getting power but nothing when I start her up via front panel or mobo start button. Pulling out the mobo shortly to start troubleshooting. The QD3s are priceless:)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And fixed, we have lift off:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts