Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It took me many weeks to decide, but I've now placed most of my orders for components to commence on my first custom loop build (thanks for the guys helping on some of the component choices!)

In complete opposite of common sense and good advice I will make this a 12mm glass tubing build :) I'll keep acrylic tubing as a backup option (I'll first build with acrylic and replace the tubes with glass so I have perfect measurements). My insanity comes from both the look I want and some trust that my many aquarium and pond filtration system builds should give enough experience (a leak in a pc may ruin a pc, a leak in a 250 gallon aquarium ruins your house :) so I know to be careful and measure/check twice)

My goal is to build an extremely quiet show case with UV satisfying my OCD for straight lines :)

I want to post my progress and mistakes in this thread, if it fails horribly its a great example for other stubborn people, if it succeeds it may give some help for others

PC ingredients:
- Thermaltake view 71 RGB
- Asus Max Hero X z370 (I do not care for the z390 features coming)
- i7 8700k, 32GB Gskill Z rgb (4x set), 1TB 970 pro
- Asus 1070ti Cerberus Adv (will upgrade to newer architecture once cooling blocks become available... could be a while :) )
- beQuiet 750W straight 11

Cooling parts:
- Heatkiller IV pro Copper Ni + backplate
- EK 360 XE radiator, with 3x new vardar RGB vans
- Heatkiller 200 tube + RGB led strip + alternative top for top inflow + tube stand tall + dampening
- D5 pwm
- EK-FC1070 GTX Ti ASUS RGB - Nickel + backplate
- Fluid Mayhem UV clear and blue mixed XT-1 Nuke
- Barrows fittings, 14x 90 degree, 4x 90 degree rotation, drain valve, 2x compression fitting
- 8x Bitspower fitting 12mm (easier to get than the barrows)
- bitspower temp sensor g1/4
- Acrylic tube 12/10
- Mayhem glass 12/10

Modding:
- 2x casemod 60cm wide hybrid led (UV + RGB)
- PCI riser

Accessories:
- RGB cable splitter 1 -> 3
- PWM cable splitter 1 -> 3
- Fill bottle
- Pressure drop tester
- funnel
- glass cutter tool
- ATX bridge

Anxiously awaiting the deliveries now...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The site was not working with me very well so I kept the log in a separate file.

I've now built the loop in acrylic and before moving to glass I'm tempted to run it for a few weeks to see how it performs, then take it apart, delid my CPU and replace the pipes with glass. Big reasons is I'm seeing so many builds with multiple radiators and I've only put one 360 in... hoping that will be enough. I was amazed that after the initial setup it immediately pressure tested ok :)

Few challenges I ran into during the build:

- Airflow, looking at the case I was not happy with the potential flow, I added 3 140mm radiators in the top blowing down to cool VRM's a bit (and to make fun of the heat rises... not as fast as 3 fans can blow it down
- Vertical GPU mount, the thermaltake cable leaves a very ugly piece of plastic in plain sight. I built a small 'shroud' out of wood for it. I am a little annoyed that the card is not in 100% level though
- lines sagging, I put some tubes in a way that left them sagging quite a bit, looking at the way fittings work and their tolerances... makes perfect sense now. I put a brace on the shroud I made, not sure if people have ideas for better looking solutions.

Few questions, some might be answered by running but perhaps someone has experience:

- The TT view 71 has a lot of return air leaks next to the radiator when mounting it on the side panel. I wonder if I should tape these off for better airflow
- Should I leave the back glass panel off, I get the feeling a lot of warm air will be sucked back into the case, unless I put a strip of plexiglas on the side of the top glass panel.

I'll add photo's of the final stage later today, my home made struts and shroud are being painted at the moment

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
That run of tube coming from the bottom of the reservoir to the videocard. Why is it so long and looping? Very unnecessary unless you plan to run something on that corner.

For the videocard mount - easiest thing would be some vinyl overlay. Easy to cut, easy to stick, cheap to get.

·
Registered
675 Posts
That run of tube coming from the bottom of the reservoir to the videocard. Why is it so long and looping? Very unnecessary unless you plan to run something on that corner.

For the videocard mount - easiest thing would be some vinyl overlay. Easy to cut, easy to stick, cheap to get.
Yea that run is rough...unnecessarily complicated, and it looks like its sagging due to the weight. Is that a telescopic fitting coming off the res? Why?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That run is just for looks, I now added the support and strut and it makes a lot of difference fortunately :), edit: it also fixes my GPU not being completely level, yay.

The fitting at the bottom right of the res is my drain (90 degree rotary, rotary m/m, valve and closing cap) the tub is normally not attached, that was for the pressure testing. The metal part on the out port is a temperature sensor.

Attached the build with struts running the leak test (seems the uv/rgb side light also turns on, fortunately no other components, but its nice for looks so not complaining)

The D5 makes an annoying whining sound btw, hope that disappears when I tune the speed.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Besides looks I had to cover some difference in depth between the res output and GPU input (GPU sits about halve an inch back). If I do that on the vertical across the GPU it looks misaligned. The length was just to move a little into that corner for looks, if I shorten it to align with the right connector on the GPU it looks too much like a number 2 which I don't like :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts