Overclock.net banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like the tubing run choices. Looks like some of your bends were done without a silicone insert. I feel your pain on the measurements.
they were but the angle makes it look worse than it is. Ill never do this again ill tell you that much

Robotic Chemist
It looks nice! However, I will never do hardline... too much work for the improved looks. ZMT is so much easier long term.

Worst part is I'm getting exact same temps as my AIO for some reason. Like EXACT same.
Do you have the same amount of radiator surface area?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It looks nice! However, I will never do hardline... too much work for the improved looks. ZMT is so much easier long term.

Do you have the same amount of radiator surface area?
Yes but i figured going from an AIO to a full custom id see a little difference. This is literally the same max temps and stuff. Wierd thats all

WaterCooler
What AIO are we talking about here?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Registered
Well... Custom water cooling is just a glorified version of an AIO, so...

They both function the exact same; it's just that AIOs beyond like 480mm are uncommon, so your only method of getting more radiator space is to do it yourself.
The other reason to do it is for the aesthetics.

Shooting down fallacies
Yes but i figured going from an AIO to a full custom id see a little difference. This is literally the same max temps and stuff. Wierd thats all
You went from what is probably the best performing CLC (but not best performing AiO) out there, to a loop that was obviously done with aesthetic as the priority rather than performance. If you don't choose parts that will provide performance upgrades from what you had, and take the time to set them up correctly, you can't expect to see improved performance.

WaterCooler
You went from what is probably the best performing CLC (but not best performing AiO) out there, to a loop that was obviously done with aesthetic as the priority rather than performance. If you don't choose parts that will provide performance upgrades from what you had, and take the time to set them up correctly, you can't expect to see improved performance.
Ding ding ding. We have an answer.

Curious why you landed on Corsair parts and I am not sure what fans those are, but guessing they are more for looks and not actually good rad performers.

As for the Corsair parts, their "D5" pump is half the flow rate of real D5 pumps, and I am not sure about their blocks (I am running one right now just because the local MC had one when I had to scrap my old EK block but didn't want to be down) - if I had to guess, probably an average performer.

Shooting down fallacies
As for the Corsair parts, they're "D5" pump is half the flow rate of real D5 pumps
The unit he has shows it is a DDC 3.2. In true Corsair fashion it is rated at 380 lph/2.1m head pressure....which is around 1/3 of the 1000lph/5m a DDC 3.2 should be putting out. Yikes..... it would not surprise me if that is similar to what was in the EK CLC. The block is an average performer, but probably not much (if any) better than what was in the EK.

If one builds a loop based solely on looks, one needs to temper their expectations on performance.

WaterCooler
The unit he has shows it is a DDC 3.2. In true Corsair fashion it is rated at 380 lph/2.1m head pressure....which is around 1/3 of the 1000lph/5m a DDC 3.2 should be putting out. Yikes..... it would not surprise me if that is similar to what was in the EK CLC. The block is an average performer, but probably not much (if any) better than what was in the EK.

If one builds a loop based solely on looks, one needs to temper their expectations on performance.
Oh I see. I just looked that up and that's a very bizarre looking pump/block unit. 1/3 rate is abysmal.

Yeah I am really not surprised this isn't netting you any more performance from the EK CLC.

Registered
Just got done doing a simple hardline tube kit for my pc. While the bending was easy the measuirng and messing up makes me wanna jump off a bridge lol
Nice work! Especially for a first go at it. I know what you mean too. I discovered very quickly that hardline tubing just isn't for me.

Registered
Bought garbage, got it. thanks for all the awesome input
If you are building inside of a case, then you ideally want HWLabs GTX radiators with some really good static pressure fans. Arctic static pressure fans are just fine. Then a single D5 maxed out will get the job done just fine.

(1) or (2) HWLab 280MM GTX radiators will do insanely well, setup some 1200RPM fans on them will provide a good balance between performance and noise, add a single D5 pump. And you are all set. If your case can hold a single 360mm HWLabs GTX, or two of them that would be even better.

As for tubing and fittings, whatever you pick will work just fine. I prefer just distilled water with additives for lack of maintenance. Colored coolant and pastel coolant breaks down overtime and clogs pumps and blocks. And it becomes a learning curve as to why your temps have degraded.鈥 I鈥檝e been there.

Watercooling is addictive. And it鈥檚 really fun too! AIO鈥檚 cannot hold a candle to a good custom loop.

The HWLabs 280MM rads can outperform even really good 360MM radiators. So keep that in mind.

If you run a custom loop with the above parts, it鈥檚 going to be cool extremely well. Soft tubing is just fine as well, or use your same hard tubing is fine as well. You can fill with distilled water and additive and maintain it once every never, just keep it topped up.

Shooting down fallacies
Bought garbage, got it. thanks for all the awesome input
No, you bought pieces that fit your priority, which was aesthetic rather than performance. The build is really nice looking, so you achieved your goal. You asked why performance isn't better and it was laid out for you. The pieces aren't garbage, they are simply built for looks and ease of use rather than performance.

• Rep+
Reactions: anr11

WaterCooler
The only thing I would call genuine garbage is the Cryofuel and ZMT. ZMT only because it is an inconsistent product and Cryofuel because of its documented issues. Everything else is fine depending on your priorities. Honestly is a nice looking build.

• Rep+
Reactions: anr11
1 - 19 of 19 Posts