Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally am going to get a new rig after been using the same one for 6 years (I know, ridiculous...). So I decided to go for the 2500k since everyone is giving so much good rep to this cpu.

PSU - Corsair CX-600W - 59,9€

MoBo - Asrock P67 Extreme 4 - 139,9€

CPU - i5 2500k - 166€

GPU - evga gtx 460 - 158,9€

RAM - ripjaws 1600mhz CL9 2x2gb - 39,6€

HDD - samsung F3 1tb - 48,7€

Case - Coolermaster 690 II advanced - 76,86€

CPU Cooling - Coolermaster Hyper 212+ - 28,85€

TOTAL: 718,71€

The purpose of the rig is basically gaming only.

So this is my planned rig, I wanted to know if 600W is enough to power the whole thing, if 4Gb is enough, if the cooling is enough to get to 4,5 Ghz (at least
) that kind of thing...My budget can't strech much further... (I'm in Europe, so no access to Newegg and the sort...)

Thanks for the help everyone!

·
Premium Member
3,801 Posts
Its probs worth getting a 8gb kit as it will save time later as it means you dont have to buy another kit for a long time.

And 600w will be plently for that but If its not much more then get the Hx750 power supply.

• Rep+
Reactions: fcalves

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanbob1234
View Post

Its probs worth getting a 8gb kit as it will save time later as it means you dont have to buy another kit for a long time.

And 600w will be plently for that but If its not much more then get the Hx750 power supply.

+rep thanks. The Hx750 is 130€...too much for my pocket I think...By the way, is the biggest difference between them one being a modular and the other non-modular? Or is it the extra wattage?

·
Premium Member
3,801 Posts
The diffrence is the hx series is a higher spec psu it can support hardcore hard-ware and sli or crossfire.

What about the tx650 or the tx750? how much are those?

·
Registered
286 Posts
A 600W is more then enough for that build, you would only need more if you planned on doing SLI. 4GB will last you a long while, 8GB helps if your doing some extreme multitasking(I encode video and game at the same time, without issue with 8GB).

·
Registered
468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcalves;14170367
+rep thanks. The Hx750 is 130€...too much for my pocket I think...By the way, is the biggest difference between them one being a modular and the other non-modular? Or is it the extra wattage?
It's not only the HX series being modular but is also far more energy efficient than the CX series. Also, you get 7 years warranty with the HX series. Paying the premium for a more decent PSU can only benefit you in the long run.

Just to add, the TX650 V2 is a very good PSU and it would be a great choice if you're not bothered with it not being modular. 650 Watts is more than enough for your system if you don't plan on adding another graphics card. Heck, it might even pull it off with your system in SLI.

4GB I'd say is more than enough. I have not seen a game that have utilised atleast 90% off 4GB or RAM. I'd say just get 4GB of RAM unless you do lots of video editing and stuff like that.

Finally, the Hyper212+ will surely take you to 4.5GHz no problems, unless you leave somewhere directly under the sun. Add another fan for push pull config if budget allows.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@ Shame 486: I read somewhere here (OCN boards) that the board I have in the OP pulls of 4.5ghz... Is the p8p67 pro better than it in some other way? It is more expensive than the one I have in OP. But that PSU is a bit expensive...

@Codegeass: I don't think it'll make a difference if its non-modular...I don't even know what a modular PSU is :O . And thanks on the advice for the ram and CPU cooler.

+rep to you guys.

·
Premium Member
3,801 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by fcalves
View Post

TX650 is 77€ and the TX750 is 96€. Are any of those worth it?

Get the tx750 its a good choice and it means you have plenty of room for improvement and means its another thing not to have to worry about for a few months/years

·
Registered
657 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by fcalves
View Post

@ Shame 486: I read somewhere here (OCN boards) that the board I have in the OP pulls of 4.5ghz... Is the p8p67 pro better than it in some other way? It is more expensive than the one I have in OP. But that PSU is a bit expensive...

@Codegeass: I don't think it'll make a difference if its non-modular...I don't even know what a modular PSU is :O . And thanks on the advice for the ram and CPU cooler.

+rep to you guys.

The P8P67 Pro is just a common board bought here. TBH, I find the AsRock Extreme4 board to be just as well featured for a lower price and it gets plenty of praises. Your selection is fine.

Modular meaning detachable cables. Standard PSUs have all the cables attached to the unit. With modular, you can attach only cables that you need. It helps a lot with cable management, thus help with airflow within the case and it's just convenient and cleaner.

You do not even need a 650W/750W PSU unless you're planning to go SLI with the GTX 460. For a single card setup, a 500W-600W will be plenty already.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Both the TX650 and TX750 are very good quality, if you can find them 2nd hand on OCN in the market-place they are much cheaper or if you can find the first edition it's also cheaper. They will both support SLI 460s. I'm pretty sure you can SLI a 570 or a 6950 with the TX750.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Doesn't seem like anyone has mentioned it but it would be worth spending another 20 euros and go for the http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-GeForce-560TI-DirectCUII-Graphics/dp/B004K8R8DA/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1310410621&sr=1-1]Asus 560 Ti[/URL], newer generation and the 560s scale amazingly well if in a few months you decide to pickup another one and go SLI, since your PSU should be able to easily cover it.

I am sure you might even be able to find a 560ti for cheaper if you look around a bit the european web shops. The 2500k is an amazing processor and will easily support a sli 560 configuration.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by geovas77;14179744
Doesn't seem like anyone has mentioned it but it would be worth spending another 20 euros and go for the Asus 560 Ti, newer generation and the 560s scale amazingly well if in a few months you decide to pickup another one and go SLI, since your PSU should be able to easily cover it.

I am sure you might even be able to find a 560ti for cheaper if you look around a bit the european web shops. The 2500k is an amazing processor and will easily support a sli 560 configuration.
Thanks for the advice, real problem is that in Portuguese websites or Amazon.co.uk the cheapest I found was 200€ /177£ which is 40€ more than the 460...and my budget is really, really nearly maxed out, I don't think I can shell out 40€ more on the GPU...

·
Registered
111 Posts
Take a look at this deal, it is betteer than a gtx460 i think, at an awesome price, i think they ship to Portugal, NOT SURE though.

http://www.pccomponentes.com/sapphir...5___dirt3.html

Ok, i have been checking, and yeah, it says they ship to Portugal for 7.83 € from 0-5 kg.

• Rep+
Reactions: fcalves
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.