Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't been on the forums in a while..

To the point. I have $2400 at my disposal for a new system. This is my FIRST build that's not scrap parts put together. I want this to be a gaming and performance build and wish to do more research and to make sure there are no complications.
smile.gif

The build will contain:

Processor
Intel i7 - 3930k ($600)

Motherboard
ASUS Rampage IV Extreme LGA 2011 Intel X79 ($450)

Memory
CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 ($95)

GPU
ASUS HD7970-3GD5-3DI2S Radeon HD 7970 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 ($560)

PSU
CORSAIR Professional Series HX850 850W ($170)

CPU Cooler
CORSAIR H100 (CWCH100) Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler ($120)

SSD
Corsair Force Series GT 60GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) ($115)

Case
Corsair Obsidian Series 650D ($190)

That totals to around $2300 and I have some spare hard drives and DVD drives laying around that I can use.

-- I do wish to do some over clocking (as far as the H100 will take me)
-- In the near future I wish to go SLI with the 7970 unless something better comes out
-- And soon when I get more $ I will be focusing on upgrading chassis (such as fans and such)

Will the 850W be enough to SLI the 7970 in the future?
And of course the main thing, Can anyone give me any suggestions for this build?

Anything would be very much appreciated
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Very solid, I couldn't think of anything to tweak it. And yes, 850W is plenty to do CrossFire in the future.

Oh, and you said SLI the 7970s, not crossfire lol

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Fire View Post

Very solid, I couldn't think of anything to tweak it. And yes, 850W is plenty to do CrossFire in the future.
Oh, and you said SLI the 7970s, not crossfire lol
I feel like punching myself for saying SLI! lololol whoops!!!

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Very solid man! That will do you well for a few years to come. That is a rig I would build for myself.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah as you can see, I'm a ASUS and Corsair guy and looking for build that can be upgraded with plenty of power.
smile.gif

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OniKon View Post

I feel like punching myself for saying SLI! lololol whoops!!!
Lol. But that build looks great.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Have you thought of waiting for ivy bridge? You could also consider a full water cooling system and put that GPU underwater along with your CPU.

·
Registered
660 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
awesome build and very solid take this advice from me you say that you want to upgrade the chassis fans or something like that dont do it in the future get all the money you need ( i dont think you will need more than 100 $ for such upgrades only fans ) then buy it all at once build it make very nice cable management then its ready for years to come . good luck BTW i like your solid rig

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by skullking17 View Post

Have you thought of waiting for ivy bridge? You could also consider a full water cooling system and put that GPU underwater along with your CPU.
Yeah I have been looking into Ivy and have read that it will be for both socket type 1155 and 2011. Kinda like i7 with 1156 and 1366.

I am not sure if it is true but I doubt they would release 2011 with only a couple compatible processors.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skullking17 View Post

He would have to wait for IB-E not IB to match the performance of his SB-E 3930K. That is going to be a while....

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OniKon View Post

Yeah I have been looking into Ivy and have read that it will be for both socket type 1155 and 2011. Kinda like i7 with 1156 and 1366.
I am not sure if it is true but I doubt they would release 2011 with only a couple compatible processors.
I doubt it as well, but I have a gut feeling that LGA 2011 will be the LGA 1366 of 2012.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Fire View Post

I doubt it as well, but I have a gut feeling that LGA 2011 will be the LGA 1366 of 2012.
Yeah but if all else fails I would only have to upgrade the mobo and processor. PCIe 3.0 is compatible with 2.0 slots with minimal performance loss.
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyq8 View Post

awesome build and very solid take this advice from me you say that you want to upgrade the chassis fans or something like that dont do it in the future get all the money you need ( i dont think you will need more than 100 $ for such upgrades only fans ) then buy it all at once build it make very nice cable management then its ready for years to come . good luck BTW i like your solid rig
Yeah that's what I've been doing for 4 years now; saving up money and planning a build. But everytime I reach the wallet full, something new comes out on the market.
I believe this build will be solid for years to come since 2011 socket just came out with support of PCIe 3.0 and quad channel controller

·
Registered
917 Posts
dont get Corsair obsidian 650d
it has one of those dumb usb3 cables that go around the motherboard tray and then to the back to plug into a real usb3 port get Corsair Carbide 500r
maybe not as smooth but it at least has 2 usb3
but then rampage 4 extreme has 4 usb3 ports at back so its ur choice

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by 072665995 View Post

dont get Corsair obsidian 650d
it has one of those dumb usb3 cables that go around the motherboard tray and then to the back to plug into a real usb3 port get Corsair Carbide 500r
maybe not as smooth but it at least has 2 usb3
but then rampage 4 extreme has 4 usb3 ports at back so its ur choice
i chose the 650d because I love the glass window. If the 500r had a window display I would reconsider. And i can always do a little bit of modding to the case to change them 2.0's to 3's
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
146 Posts
First things first, h100 is 103 dollars on amazon and 99.99 on tiger direct, 650d is $169.98 on amazon as well as free shipping which is 20 bucks on newegg even with shoprunner so you save around 40 dollars total. I know amazon to have a very good return policy that also provides free shipping to and back if something is defective etc. This is considering that theres not a really good combo on newegg. Second thing, google for shoprunner free for a year, when i found a signup for it, i didn't even have to input credit card details or anything and i made sure to turn off recurring membership and any email offers etc in the settings.

As for the build i would go with a bigger ssd and a completely modular power supply instead (modular power supply is just a preference but I absolutely like them better).
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233191 is yours except twice the size and only 149.99 after rebate.
Something like the AX850 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139015&Tpk=ax850) or even the Seasonic Platinum 860W (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151111) and with the money saved on shipping and going to amazon for the 650d and h100 it still stays under 2400. In fact it goes down to around 2320 and little or non-existent shipping costs. So ya. Hopefully i helped a bit.
This build is similar to a build i'm doing soon, hope to see you in the Rampage Extreme Mobo club
tongue.gif

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by pewter77 View Post

First things first, h100 is 103 dollars on amazon and 99.99 on tiger direct, 650d is $169.98 on amazon as well as free shipping which is 20 bucks on newegg even with shoprunner so you save around 40 dollars total. I know amazon to have a very good return policy that also provides free shipping to and back if something is defective etc. This is considering that theres not a really good combo on newegg. Second thing, google for shoprunner free for a year, when i found a signup for it, i didn't even have to input credit card details or anything and i made sure to turn off recurring membership and any email offers etc in the settings.
As for the build i would go with a bigger ssd and a completely modular power supply instead (modular power supply is just a preference but I absolutely like them better).
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233191 is yours except twice the size and only 149.99 after rebate.
Something like the AX850 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139015&Tpk=ax850) or even the Seasonic Platinum 860W (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151111) and with the money saved on shipping and going to amazon for the 650d and h100 it still stays under 2400. In fact it goes down to around 2320 and little or non-existent shipping costs. So ya. Hopefully i helped a bit.
This build is similar to a build i'm doing soon, hope to see you in the Rampage Extreme Mobo club
tongue.gif
Thank you. I will take the gold 850W into consideration because I have not noticed it and would like to stay true to this Corsair build
smile.gif

As for choosing between the service of Amazon and NewEgg.. It depends if Amazon would charge me taxes because NewEgg does not for some reason. And taxing something this expensive would be devastating to leftover petty cash. But I will look around for the shipping costs and that Shop Runner.

Thank you for the advice.
biggrin.gif
I'm going to resume my research for the cheapest and most reliable source

1 - 20 of 20 Posts