Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ATTENTION! Incoming wall of text, consider yourselves warned!!!


Hi all,

I'm George and I'm new to the community and to overclocking in general. Even though I started fooling around with computers around 1985 and I have always been building my own systems, I have never attempted a serious overclock (I remember some attempts on a poor 486DX2 but nothing much
). Due to work and moving around alot the last few years I haven't had a desktop computer since the P4 era.
So now that I settled (and also broke my last laptop
) I decided to go back to my old passion and finally build a new system and also overclock it as much as I can and do some case modding after as well.

So after a few weeks of research and planning I decided to go with the following composition:

Case: Coolermaster HAF 932
PSU: 850W Corsair HX-750 ATX Modular
M/B: Asus P6TD DELUXE
CPU: Intel Core i7-920
RAM: Corsair Dominator TR3X6G1600C7D 6GB
HDD1: WD 150GB Veloci Raptor
HDD2: WD 640GB Caviar Black
Video: ATI HD 5870

Now for the cooling I thought to try my first attempt on water just for the CPU (to start with) and I'm thinking to get the following:

Radiator: MCR320-QP
CPU Block: Apogee XT
Pump: MCP-655 with speed control
water tank, tubing, etc.
Fans and pump controlled via a Zalman ZM-MFC2 Fan Controller

So the questions are:
1. Do you think I should change anything? I have ordered everything but the 5870 cause they are out of stock atm but I can change something if needed.
2. How will I see if my CPU is a C0 or D0?
3. I've read loads OC guides around but most of them are for getting the 920 up to 4GHz and usually on air. What would be the max stable OC that I could achieve with this cooling and where I can find more info on how to.

4. If I push it over 4GHz will I need to cool the NB and/or RAM too? And if so will I need to do so on water as well or an air solution would suffice?

I don't want things handed over on a platter, I like reading and researching (helps with the boring mornings in the office too
) so some links to nice guides (not the basic OC ones) and your personal ideas/suggestions would be nice and more than enough. Hopefully I will have it ready by January (restock of 5870 is expected around Christmas
) and will start posting results, benchmarks and pics. Next step will be case modding it


Sorry for the long post and I hope that some of you managed to finish reading it without dying of boredom half way through
Thanks for all the help guys!

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
915 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Malus View Post

ATTENTION! Incoming wall of text, consider yourselves warned!!!


Hi all,

I'm George and I'm new to the community and to overclocking in general. Even though I started fooling around with computers around 1985 and I have always been building my own systems, I have never attempted a serious overclock (I remember some attempts on a poor 486DX2 but nothing much
). Due to work and moving around alot the last few years I haven't had a desktop computer since the P4 era.
So now that I settled (and also broke my last laptop
) I decided to go back to my old passion and finally build a new system and also overclock it as much as I can and do some case modding after as well.

So after a few weeks of research and planning I decided to go with the following composition:

Case: Coolermaster HAF 932
PSU: 850W Corsair HX-750 ATX Modular
M/B: Asus P6TD DELUXE
CPU: Intel Core i7-920
RAM: Corsair Dominator TR3X6G1600C7D 6GB
HDD1: WD 150GB Veloci Raptor
HDD2: WD 640GB Caviar Black
Video: ATI HD 5870

Now for the cooling I thought to try my first attempt on water just for the CPU (to start with) and I'm thinking to get the following:

Radiator: MCR320-QP
CPU Block: Apogee XT
Pump: MCP-655 with speed control
water tank, tubing, etc.
Fans and pump controlled via a Zalman ZM-MFC2 Fan Controller

So the questions are:
1. Do you think I should change anything? I have ordered everything but the 5870 cause they are out of stock atm but I can change something if needed.
2. How will I see if my CPU is a C0 or D0?
3. I've read loads OC guides around but most of them are for getting the 920 up to 4GHz and usually on air. What would be the max stable OC that I could achieve with this cooling and where I can find more info on how to.

4. If I push it over 4GHz will I need to cool the NB and/or RAM too? And if so will I need to do so on water as well or an air solution would suffice?

I don't want things handed over on a platter, I like reading and researching (helps with the boring mornings in the office too
) so some links to nice guides (not the basic OC ones) and your personal ideas/suggestions would be nice and more than enough. Hopefully I will have it ready by January (restock of 5870 is expected around Christmas
) and will start posting results, benchmarks and pics. Next step will be case modding it


Sorry for the long post and I hope that some of you managed to finish reading it without dying of boredom half way through
Thanks for all the help guys!



Hmm same board as me.... having problems getting mine stable at 4.0GHz and 4.2GHz so good luck dude
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
267 Posts
All the components look solid.

You can use a program called CPU-z to check the cpu revision.

when clocking just go up in small steps and keep going till u hit the voltage/temp limit.
I have almost the same mobo and the nb cooling is fine for up to 4.6GHz with a fan on it.

as to a max OC all chips are different so its impossible to say but it should be 4GHz+
one suggestion is to turn hyper threading off, almost nothing will use the extra cores and you will probably be able to get an extra 0.2GHz out of the chip at any given voltage
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:


Originally Posted by beasty
View Post

All the components look solid.

You can use a program called CPU-z to check the cpu revision.

when clocking just go up in small steps and keep going till u hit the voltage/temp limit.
I have almost the same mobo and the nb cooling is fine for up to 4.6GHz with a fan on it.

as to a max OC all chips are different so its impossible to say but it should be 4GHz+
one suggestion is to turn hyper threading off, almost nothing will use the extra cores and you will probably be able to get an extra 0.2GHz out of the chip at any given voltage

Thanks for the advise beasty but I'm looking for a stable hopefully 4GHz+ with HT on since I use apps like autocad and photoshop and I'm pretty sure they take advantage of HT quite well. My goal is not just max clock value but max performance mainly. And the magic 4GHz number to brag about
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
915 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Malus
View Post

Thanks for the advise beasty but I'm looking for a stable hopefully 4GHz+ with HT on since I use apps like autocad and photoshop and I'm pretty sure they take advantage of HT quite well. My goal is not just max clock value but max performance mainly. And the magic 4GHz number to brag about


Well i have just got mine stable on this board ( thank god ) its running at 4.2GHz with HT ON.... so just need to be patient
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
915 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Malus View Post
Nice one rchads, what settings did you use?


funny thing is which i dont understand is ....

I set ram speed to 1600mhz typed in 1.33275 vcore or something like that ....
Set dram voltage to 1.66v
multi 21
bulk 211

then everything else like ioh, pii etc etc is all on auto
Now weather thats a good thing or a bad thing i dont know because it could by auto put the figures up high i dunno...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by rchads89 View Post
funny thing is which i dont understand is ....

I set ram speed to 1600mhz typed in 1.33275 vcore or something like that ....
Set dram voltage to 1.66v
multi 21
bulk 211

then everything else like ioh, pii etc etc is all on auto
Now weather thats a good thing or a bad thing i dont know because it could by auto put the figures up high i dunno...


Lucky one I guess then, good for you!
So you have blck 211 x21=4431MHz???
and it's stable on air?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
My biased opinion is:

Case: Coolermaster HAF 932 (good but CM Sniper is better IMHO)

PSU: 850W Corsair HX (HX 850 is solid but I would go 1000 for a little more money. I regret not doing it.)

M/B: Asus P6TD DELUXE (Solid as a rock and excellent overclocker. I have mine at a conservative 3.7 with HT and turbo on)

CPU: Intel Core i7-920 (Excellent... get the D0)

RAM: Corsair Dominator TR3X6G1600C7D 6GB (Excellent. Go here for tips on configuration http://www.bjorn3d.com/read.php?cID=1432&pageID=5942

HDD1: WD 150GB Veloci Raptor (Why not Raid 0 with 2. Your speeds will be fantastic. I found 2 74 GB VR's on ebay and they rival SSD's for speed in Raid 0)

HDD2: WD 640GB Caviar Black (Get the 1TB Black for a little more money)

Video: ATI HD 5870 (The big dog...
)

Overclocking is easy on the i7. There are a lot of useful guides with straightforward settings. PM me if you need help with the P6tD. Good Luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
Welcome to OC.net

I gave you your first Rep+ for your efforts and to get you started
(seems not enough people give rep here
)

I've been studying up on batch numbers lately (each i7 chip is identified by a batch number, kinda like a VIN # for a car)
Seems a lot of people don't put enough emphasis on batch #'s.
IMO its one of the best/easiest ways to get a good clock, by starting with a good chip.

-Malus if you don't already know, Theres incredible differences between batches, some (although not many) take a lot of voltage and can't even hit 4Ghz. When others (although not many) are stable at 4.8Ghz @ low Vcores.
On Average, most 920's will OC to 4-4.2Ghz @ a reasonable voltage (1.3-1.4V).
To complicate matters, theres some variance within batches (Although they seem to be pretty similar, even 2 chips of the same batch differ in potential).

What Batch # is your i7??
That kinda answers your #4, If its a good batch/OCer, it should have no problem running 4Ghz on air.

Dutch
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
First of all thanks for the feedback/advise.


Quote:

Originally Posted by salamooch View Post
Case: Coolermaster HAF 932 (good but CM Sniper is better IMHO)
I'm afraid it's too late for that the case is already sitting in my living room


Quote:
PSU: 850W Corsair HX (HX 850 is solid but I would go 1000 for a little more money. I regret not doing it.)
I was originally going for the 1000W myself too but it's around 100 bucks more expensive here and I've already went over my original estimated budget quite a lot! lol


Quote:
CPU: Intel Core i7-920 (Excellent... get the D0)
As I said in my original post, how can I know if it's D0 or C0/C1? And I didn't mean once I get it, I meant while buying it. Cause most people say that it's just luck of the draw???


Quote:
RAM: Corsair Dominator TR3X6G1600C7D 6GB (Excellent. Go here for tips on configuration http://www.bjorn3d.com/read.php?cID=1432&pageID=5942
Thanks for the excellent link. Good reading, will put it into use!


Quote:
HDD1: WD 150GB Veloci Raptor (Why not Raid 0 with 2. Your speeds will be fantastic. I found 2 74 GB VR's on ebay and they rival SSD's for speed in Raid 0)
Basically cause I was planning to do RAID0 with 2x150GB but as I said went off budget. So I just got one for now and will add the second one when first format is needed


Quote:
HDD2: WD 640GB Caviar Black (Get the 1TB Black for a little more money)
I usually keep my system HDDs as clean as possible and throw all music/movies/backups in external ones so no point for me. Just through that caviar in there for all the downloads and junk. I already have around 5TB of storage space in external HDDs.


Quote:
Overclocking is easy on the i7. There are a lot of useful guides with straightforward settings. PM me if you need help with the P6tD. Good Luck!
Will have to wait and see. I've seen all the guides but most of them are to push it to 4GHz and usually on air so I figured that I could push it even higher on water. Or I might be wrong dunno... A stable 4,2GHz with HT and turbo on with good temps would be just fine

Thanks again salamooch, once all is here and assembled (not before early January since 5870 is nowhere to be found in Australia atm) will let you know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Malus
View Post

I'm afraid it's too late for that the case is already sitting in my living room


IMO, great choice the HAF is a much nicer case. Aesthetically and physically, it has better air flow. Hence the name H.A.F. its an acronym for High Air Flow


Quote:


Originally Posted by Malus
View Post

I was originally going for the 1000W myself too but it's around 100 bucks more expensive here and I've already went over my original estimated budget quite a lot! lol


If you can get away with the 850W (and I'm sure It'll be fine) than great, the 1KW is HUGE...Its what I bought, and it crushed my dreams of placing a radiator in front of it


Quote:


Originally Posted by Malus
View Post

As I said in my original post, how can I know if it's D0 or C0/C1? And I didn't mean once I get it, I meant while buying it. Cause most people say that it's just luck of the draw???


On the box the sticker with all the barcodes says "S-spec"
if its a "SLBEJ" that means its D0, "SLBCH" then its C0.
Also its on the processor itself.

Dutch
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:


Originally Posted by Dutch
View Post

On the box the sticker with all the barcodes says "S-spec"
if its a "SLBEJ" that means its D0, "SLBCH" then its C0.
Also its on the processor itself.

Dutch

I got the CPU and it is a D0!!!
Waiting for the rest of the parts to complete my rig... man the market in Australia sucks...


Thx for all the help dutch will keep in touch!

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok I finally finish building it yesterday and OCed it at 4.01GHz. Runned prime95 for a couple of hours and it tops at 61 degrees C so it looks good for now. Will see how it goes and maybe try to push it further
. Here's a cpuZ validation too http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=938940



Window mod is the next thing in my todo list now!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
After 3-4 of prime95 with temps maxed at around 62-64 I decided to try and up it up a little. Got my block from 191 to 200 and it was freezing after like 10 secs in prime. So I started playing with the voltages a little and it seemed to stabilize at 1.288V. Stressing it at the moment will go out have lunch with my wife and see how it goes when I come back. Max core temp atm after like 10 mins of prime is 65 degrees so it's looking good.


http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=939077
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top