Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my i5 2500k was my first ever, and I got it up to 4.3ghz on my H70. Can easily push it more, max temps I've gotten were ~52c.

Although, that makes me wonder if it's a true OC, since it's just the turbo multiplier? I tried messing with the CPU multiplier itself, and it always just sat at 1.6ghz in CPU-Z, regardless of whether or not I was "idling".

On another note, I got my 580 at 2300mhz mem clock, 1800 shader, 900 core @ 1.1v, with good temps, too!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
489 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by refeek
View Post

So my i5 2500k was my first ever, and I got it up to 4.3ghz on my H70. Can easily push it more, max temps I've gotten were ~52c.

Although, that makes me wonder if it's a true OC, since it's just the turbo multiplier? I tried messing with the CPU multiplier itself, and it always just sat at 1.6ghz in CPU-Z, regardless of whether or not I was "idling".

On another note, I got my 580 at 2300mhz mem clock, 1800 shader, 900 core @ 1.1v, with good temps, too!

Gratz! Sandy bridge idles at 1.6GHz but when you put some stress on it, It'll kick up to 4.3GHz.

Keep going!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So question - if the Turbo ratio and the CPU ratio essentially do the same thing, is there a reason to use the CPU ratio instead?

edit: Would disabling Speedstep be the key between them? i.e., not sit at 1.6ghz instead of the 4.3 at all times?

Also, does it really make a difference? I mean, everything I've read says no, but still.
 

·
Not having a good time
Joined
·
2,395 Posts
I remember my first OC
it was so awesome...Until I realized my Old P4 wouldnt go any farther than 2.8Ghz
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Currently Prime95'ing 4.8ghz, hah.

It's quite addicting. I'm going to end up blowing money on a real loop eventually if it continues to feel like this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OoOoh, first BSoD on this computer. Set my voltage manually, and only gave a .004 voltage increase while in turbo. Apparently, it doesn't like 4.6 @ 1.35v, haha.

I'ma just let it auto-set for me, 'cause I'm lazy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
420 Posts
auto set voltage? absolutely a no-no.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iDaryl;14166089
auto set voltage? absolutely a no-no.
I agree, autovoltage tends to give way too much voltage than needed. Just keep upping your voltage manually until no more BSOD and you can successfully pass Prime95 for 8 hours (or more if u like).

Have fun!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by iDaryl;14166089
auto set voltage? absolutely a no-no.
Not permanent, just too tired to deal with it atm. Not doing anything CPU intensive until after I wake up later today.

Tried a 1.35v on 4.6ghz and it gave a BSoD immediately.

Isn't anything over 1.4v bad for deterioration?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by toxaris71;14166106
I agree, autovoltage tends to give way too much voltage than needed. Just keep upping your voltage manually until no more BSOD and you can successfully pass Prime95 for 8 hours (or more if u like).

Have fun!
Overvoltage causes more heat and more power consumption...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bump.

1.4v is stable, but is that too high? Couldn't get anything below that to be stable.

Just worried about deterioration.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you kindly.

I can now feel safe.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
DS works just over the Twin Frozr II, but with the EVGA warranty. I'd say it's worth it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by refeek;14184275
DS works just over the Twin Frozr II, but with the EVGA warranty. I'd say it's worth it.
I don't like very much the design of the DS series but eVGA seems definitely to be a good manufacturer... will see reviews
biggrin.gif
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,475 Posts
i refuse to use anything besides evga. their products and customer service out perform everyone else in my experience.

Sent from my DROIDX
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top