Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone.

I'm James, and I'm working on overclocking my first rig. I bought a scalable set up so that I can work my way up to decent speeds. I'm starting on a $100 cpu so that I can screw up and not be too mad.

I successfully overclocked my first GPU last night from 775 MHz to 890MHz and got the memory speed up from 1000MHz to 1250MHz. Not a huge difference, and I'm sure AutoTune would have gotten me there, but I was learning the basics of stability. I will work on the CPU next and see how it does, then maybe I'll move on to higher clocks.

I've gotten a lot of information here, so I thought it was time to join.

My rig (remember I'm new to this, so I didn't spend too much):

CPU: AMD Athlon II x4 640 Propus 3.0GHz (L3 unlocked from Deneb die)
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD5850 800MHz 1 GB DDR5 (2nd release)
MoBo: GigaByte GA-790XTA-UD4 AM3 AMD 790X SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0
RAM: 8GB (4x2GB) CORSAIR DOMINATOR-GT DDR3 1866GHz (running at 1333)
Case: AZZA Fantom 900 Black
Cooling: Zalman CNPS9700 LED 110mm (CPU), Dual AirFlow fan (RAM)
HDD: Three Seagate Barracuda XT ST32000641AS 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s in RAID 5 (4TB)
PSU: 650 Watt Corsair PFC + Crossfire

Soon to be added: A second HD5850, upgrade to 1000W PSU, and AMD Phenom II X4 970 Black Edition 3.5GHz

So there it is, that's my rig. It's not much, but it's 3 times as much as my last one, so I think it's good to learn on. I'm about to reboot and start incrementing my FSB now... See you in the forums!

·
Registered
251 Posts
welcome to ocn. I don't think you give yourself enough credit on the graphics card oc, 890/1250 is pretty darn good on a 5850. sounds like you've got the right idea. stability is key. good luck with the project and keep in mind, there are plenty of people here willing to help if you need it.

Edit: instead of the pII 970, you might want to save a few bucks and go with the 965 c3. same die and since both have an unlocked multi, you'll get the same results from either chip.

·
Fly on the wall
2,432 Posts
welcome

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey thanks for all the welcomes!!! I'm pretty stoked about this system. I was a little weary of the 5850 but figured it was better for the short run than that extra $100 for the 5870.

I thought about unlocking cores on a triple but from what I read, the entire reason they're available is because the 4th core failed the manuf. stress test, so I decided against it. Maybe I'll reconsider.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Welcome to OCN! dont forget to check out ur "User CP" page and update all ur info

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got a new system,i built it,sugestions welcome,M4A785-M,WASNT the mobo i wanted,other was out of stock,go figure,added a Athlon IIx4 640.2 gigs(just to start off with and then play with that later) of Kingston HyperX 8500,which only will come up as pc 6400 400mhz,which pissed me off,wondering,even though the bios rev seems up too date,2010,huh,ripp off or what? setspeed at 533 mhz,even after applying timming manually in bios,still comes up like this,havent "Tweaked" the CPU yet,or Graphics card which is a radeon hd 4200,cooling fan ansd heat sink i got was a package deal,so nothing fancy,works,lol thats IT,looked up on timing the Memory,still 400 mhz,gesus,am gonna go to asus,and see if there is a more recent bios,which might fix a few things,over cloack one day,got a ntfs error,ya blue screen,etc.yada yada,still laughing,hands up,taking a break,and tired from work(im sub contractor,trust me at my age i push it hard core,still laughing)sugestions i do welcome,will check my email,as it is i have a lot to do,my kids are yapping,so lol >>>post away

·
OpenBSD fanatic
3,327 Posts
Welcome to OCN
not a bad a overclock on your gpu but your right, stability is key because you dont want artifacts or bsod's but anyways I'm looking forward to seeing you around

1 - 11 of 11 Posts