Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first PC Build and so far I'm pretty satisfied with the results. First and foremost I'll go ahead and list the setup.

CPU: AMD Phenom II 955 Black Edition
Motherboard: ASUS M4A79T Deluxe
RAM: Corsair XMS3 DHX 4GB DDR3
PSU: Corsair CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX 12v
GPU: BFG Tech GTX275 896MB OC
Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio 7.1 Channels
HD: Western Digital VelociRaptor 300GB 10000RPM SATA
Optical Drive: Sony Optiarc 24x DVD/CD Rewritable
Case: Antec Nine Hundred ATX Mid-Tower

Ok now to my overclocking adventures thus far...I want this to be a stable 24/7 system with a good amount of reliability. I'm not trying to set records as I can't afford to rebuild my PC every couple of months. I've been using Everest Ulitmate Edition and HW Monitor to measure temps and Prime95 for stress testing.

My first step was to overclock the RAM to 1600MHz and I tried 7-7-7-20 timings to start. The system would not post. This didn't really surprise me from what I have read about other's experiences with overclocking DDR3. So I upped the timings to 9-9-9-24 and the system posted fine. I then stress tested under Prime95 for a couple hours with no errors.

I then preceeded with the CPU overclock. I started out by just bumping the multiplier by a half step and then stress test for about 30 minutes each time. I was easily able to achieve 3.6GHz by simply bumping the multiplier to 18x with no other adjustments. CPU temps were approx. 58-59C at this setting on the stock fan. At 18.5x multiplier though I received a blue screen and reset within 5 min. I decided to back it off to 18x multiplier and stress test for 3 hrs to verify that this setting was completely stable and it was.

I decided to up the CPU voltage now to see if I could get 18.5x multiplier stable. I ended up having to bump the voltage all the way from stock 1.35v to 1.475v and the CPU-NB voltage to 1.3v before I could get stability for at least an hour out of the 18.5x multiplier. CPU temps at these settings held at about 60-61C, very close to the AMD suggested maximum of 62C. Now for my questions about all of this...

Is it normal to need this much of a voltage jump once you've reached the maximum mulitiplier for the stock voltage?

Have I reached the maximum potential of my current setup at 3.7GHz? If so what would be required to push it a little further safely? Better CPU cooling?

Are my current settings at 3.7GHz safe? I will run a stress test for longer when I get home from work this evening to verify system stability. I plan on using this computer for gaming often so it will be under heavy load for long periods of time and I want to be sure that my setup is safe. Or should I consider going back to 3.6GHz on the stock voltage settings and be happy with it?

Thank you all in advance for any suggestions and help.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by LastBucsfan View Post
This is my first PC Build and so far I'm pretty satisfied with the results. First and foremost I'll go ahead and list the setup.

CPU: AMD Phenom II 955 Black Edition
Motherboard: ASUS M4A79T Deluxe
RAM: Corsair XMS3 DHX 4GB DDR3
PSU: Corsair CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX 12v
GPU: BFG Tech GTX275 896MB OC
Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio 7.1 Channels
HD: Western Digital VelociRaptor 300GB 10000RPM SATA
Optical Drive: Sony Optiarc 24x DVD/CD Rewritable
Case: Antec Nine Hundred ATX Mid-Tower

Ok now to my overclocking adventures thus far...I want this to be a stable 24/7 system with a good amount of reliability. I'm not trying to set records as I can't afford to rebuild my PC every couple of months. I've been using Everest Ulitmate Edition and HW Monitor to measure temps and Prime95 for stress testing.

My first step was to overclock the RAM to 1600MHz and I tried 7-7-7-20 timings to start. The system would not post. This didn't really surprise me from what I have read about other's experiences with overclocking DDR3. So I upped the timings to 9-9-9-24 and the system posted fine. I then stress tested under Prime95 for a couple hours with no errors.

I then preceeded with the CPU overclock. I started out by just bumping the multiplier by a half step and then stress test for about 30 minutes each time. I was easily able to achieve 3.6GHz by simply bumping the multiplier to 18x with no other adjustments. CPU temps were approx. 58-59C at this setting on the stock fan. At 18.5x multiplier though I received a blue screen and reset within 5 min. I decided to back it off to 18x multiplier and stress test for 3 hrs to verify that this setting was completely stable and it was.

I decided to up the CPU voltage now to see if I could get 18.5x multiplier stable. I ended up having to bump the voltage all the way from stock 1.35v to 1.475v and the CPU-NB voltage to 1.3v before I could get stability for at least an hour out of the 18.5x multiplier. CPU temps at these settings held at about 60-61C, very close to the AMD suggested maximum of 62C. Now for my questions about all of this...

Is it normal to need this much of a voltage jump once you've reached the maximum mulitiplier for the stock voltage?

Have I reached the maximum potential of my current setup at 3.7GHz? If so what would be required to push it a little further safely? Better CPU cooling?

Are my current settings at 3.7GHz safe? I will run a stress test for longer when I get home from work this evening to verify system stability. I plan on using this computer for gaming often so it will be under heavy load for long periods of time and I want to be sure that my setup is safe. Or should I consider going back to 3.6GHz on the stock voltage settings and be happy with it?

Thank you all in advance for any suggestions and help.
I have 3700MHz 2665MHz NB in x64 with 1.4V stable and i had max temperatures 58 C. Some chips can burn at 65C and havent a problem....I mean, u can try lower CPU voltage. What is your NB clock and setings?

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by FlanK3r View Post
I have 3700MHz 2665MHz NB in x64 with 1.4V stable and i had max temperatures 58 C. Some chips can burn at 65C and havent a problem....I mean, u can try lower CPU voltage. What is your NB clock and setings?
My Northbridge clock is at the stock 2000 MHz and the Northbridge voltage is at stock as well. CPU-NB voltage is at 1.3v. Lower CPU voltage gives bsod at 3.7GHz.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by richierich1212
View Post

You don't mention what heatsink you are using for your 955. And what voltage are you using for your RAM?

Stock RAM voltage and stock CPU heatsink and fan (at least for now). The aftermarket CPU cooler I ordered wouldn't fit with the RAM in.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrAMD_Fan
View Post

Bucs fan.... i'm sorry.... heh,heh.... Nice first build! The 955 is a beast!

Thanks LOL!

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by LastBucsfan
View Post

Stock RAM voltage and stock CPU heatsink and fan (at least for now). The aftermarket CPU cooler I ordered wouldn't fit with the RAM in.

I wouldn't push to many volts into the 955 without getting an aftermarket cpu cooler.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

View Post

I wouldn't push to many volts into the 955 without getting an aftermarket cpu cooler.

What is too many volts? As long as my temps stay below 62C shouldn't it be fine?

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Quote:

View Post

What is too many volts? As long as my temps stay below 62C shouldn't it be fine?

Yeah but that's the maximum threshhold. I wouldn't even go past 55 degrees to be honest.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

View Post

Yeah but that's the maximum threshhold. I wouldn't even go past 55 degrees to be honest.

Well that's not good because before I even started overclocking mine would run 57-58C under load. 38-40C idle.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Well that's not good because before I even started overclocking mine would run 57-58C under load. 38-40C idle.

I would keep the overclocks mild until your new cooler comes. Try 3.5GHz @ stock vcore.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

View Post

I would keep the overclocks mild until your new cooler comes. Try 3.5GHz @ stock vcore.

Any recommendations on a good cooler to use? How do you like your Xigmatek HDTS1283? It looks like it would most likely fit my case.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
The Xigmatek HDT-S1283 / Dark Knight is a good cooler. Since it is mounted vertically on the AMD platform I'm able to do a ghetto push/pull config by just placing another 120mm fan on top of the heatsink without the aid of anything lol. You can do some more research in the Air Cooling section.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

Originally Posted by richierich1212 View Post
The Xigmatek HDT-S1283 / Dark Knight is a good cooler. Since it is mounted vertically on the AMD platform I'm able to do a ghetto push/pull config by just placing another 120mm fan on top of the heatsink without the aid of anything lol. You can do some more research in the Air Cooling section.
Since it's vertically mounted do you think I would have any trouble with the fitment of my RAM? It sits very close to the CPU on my ASUS board. Thank you for all your help and I will do some research in the Air Cooling section.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sarngate View Post
I have an M4A78T-e which is basically the motherboard below yours in the series and my Coolermaster V8 fits just fine, and a HDT-S1283 isn't too different size wise so you should be fine.

Out of interest what was the cooler you ordered ?
His memory has high heatsinks.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:

Originally Posted by sarngate View Post
I have an M4A78T-e which is basically the motherboard below yours in the series and my Coolermaster V8 fits just fine, and a HDT-S1283 isn't too different size wise so you should be fine.

Out of interest what was the cooler you ordered ?
I had ordered the Scythe SCKTN-3000 "Katana III" without putting enough research into fitment.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835185096

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quote:

Originally Posted by richierich1212 View Post
Well as long as you can use the farthest slots youll be fine.
They are open, but my motherboard manual stated to use the 2 orange slots for best overclocking performance..which are the closest 2 to the CPU. Does it really matter? If not I could move them over to the 3rd and 4th black slots and there should be plenty of room.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts