Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This will be my first build and I'd like to try to overclock it as well, so I'd like to know if overclocking will be fine with these parts.

GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard

XFX HD-485X-ZDFC Radeon HD 4850 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card
SAPPHIRE 100259-1GL Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card

OCZ StealthXStream OCZ700SXS 700W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK x2
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10600CL8D-4GBHK
x2
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK

ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler
XIGMATEK Dark Knight-S1283V 120mm Long Life Bearing CPU Cooler

AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Black Processor Model HDZ720WFGIBOX
AMD Phenom II X4 940 Deneb 3.0GHz Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Black Edition Processor Model HDZ940XCGIBOX

LIAN LI PC-7B plus II Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"
x2

SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache IDE 22X DVD±R DVD Burner - OEM

A few quick questions. Regarding the motherboard, the standard memory is listed as DDR2 1333. Did they mean DDR3 and make a typo? And regarding the RAM, should i go for 8GB of DDR2 or 4GB of DDR3?

Getting 8GB of DDR3 RAM instead since the motherboard is cheaper.

Cutting down to 4GB of RAM and getting a better processor. Changing the processor caused a horrible chain reaction. I had to change the motherboard due to the CPU being AM2+ and the motherboard having an AM3 socket. After changing the CPU, I had to get a different case as a combo deal. I also needed to change the motherboard for the AM2+ CPU.

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts
Quote:
If i were you I'd get the UD3P instead if you don't plan on xfire as its cheaper and provides good overclocking results. For the ram question that depends on what OS you are running on if its 64 bit then it will use the 8gb of ram if its 32 bit it will only recognize like 3.75gb so its up to you but 4GB is sufficient.

·
Overclocker
867 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 7hm
View Post

If i were you I'd get the UD3P instead if you don't plan on xfire as its cheaper and provides good overclocking results. For the ram question that depends on what OS you are running on if its 64 bit then it will use the 8gb of ram if its 32 bit it will only recognize like 3.75gb so its up to you but 4GB is sufficient.

Its an AMD build he dont want an Intel based board It looks okay to me as for the memory do a search on the board and look at the gigabyte site it will tell you what it takes

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by macsbeach98
View Post

Its an AMD build he dont want an Intel based board It looks okay to me as for the memory do a search on the board and look at the gigabyte site it will tell you what it takes

What are you talking about.. there's an am3 ud3p

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...28392&Tpk=ud3p

Don't listen to macsbeach98 Emlett the ud3p works amazing with a 720 and gives good OC results and for ram choice I'd pick this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231180

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by mocha989
View Post

looks good but id get the Xigmatek Dark night cooler

ohh and i would look into a Corsair 650w or 750w power supply

Thanks for the info. I think I'll actually get the Xigmatek Dark Knight cooler instead after looking at the compatibility. Also, why do you recommend that power supply instead?

·
Registered
707 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Emlett
View Post

Thanks for the info. I think I'll actually get the Xigmatek Dark Knight cooler instead after looking at the compatibility. Also, why do you recommend that power supply instead?

I'm guessing it's because corsair products are known to be pretty good quality, almost everybody will suggest them here.

I personally love my corsair, but the PSU you've selected will do the job just fine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by 7hm
View Post

What are you talking about.. there's an am3 ud3p

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...28392&Tpk=ud3p

Don't listen to macsbeach98 Emlett the ud3p works amazing with a 720 and gives good OC results and for ram choice I'd pick this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231180

Thanks, I think I'll listen and get that motherboard instead. Since it's cheaper, I'll just use the saved money to get two sets of that DDR3 RAM for 8GB.

Also, I edited the original post with the changes thanks to the help here. Are any more changes necessary?

On a side note, my friends are suggesting I swap out the Radeon card for a GeForce. Should I change the video card or is this one good enough?

Questions continue to plague my mind. Are the fans on the case good enough or should I get separate ones?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Originally Posted by mitties
View Post

Why not just go with 4 gigs of ram and get the Phenom II X4 920 for 149.99 + free shipping?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103472

Since that chip is AM2+, won't I need to change the motherboard since it's only for AM3?

I decided to go with only 4GB of RAM and get a better processor. I updated the original post with the revised build plan. Advice/opinions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Emlett
View Post

Since that chip is AM2+, won't I need to change the motherboard since it's only for AM3?

I decided to go with only 4GB of RAM and get a better processor. I updated the original post with the revised build plan. Advice/opinions would be greatly appreciated.

If you want 4 cores stay with the ud3p i suggested and get this chip instead http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103650 it is also cheaper than the am2+ chip and its socket am3.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:

Originally Posted by 7hm
View Post

The 810 is 4 cores its at 2.8ghz the 720 is 3 cores at 2.8

I was planning to get the 940.

Also, I was wondering if someone could confirm that the PSU would be enough to power everything even when I start to overclock it.

I found a website to estimate the wattage needed so it seems my PSU is good enough. I plan to be ordering the parts when I get back, so in about 5 hours from now. Any more advice/opinions would be great.

Parts are ordered. Thanks for the advice, everyone!

·
Banned
7,242 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Emlett View Post
because corsair PSU are like the best on the market. they are amazing. You don't want to go cheap on a PSU, its the life of your computer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thought I'd post an update of what happened so far. Apparently the Dark Knight CPU cooler is incompatible with the motherboard, so I need to return it and get a different one. Aside from that, everything else is in the process of getting hooked up.

Surprisingly, the front panel of the case was very hard to pull off. I almost thought I'd break the case by pulling it so hard, but it didn't break, so that's fine.

All of that aside, my friend came over and helped me put most of it together, but it was getting late so we decided to finish it tomorrow.

I'm trying to find a new CPU fan to replace the stock fan, but how will I know that it'll fit?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts