Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! As you can see from the title, this will be my first on Overclock.net, and I have a few questions to ask about mice in general.

After the first and only gaming mouse I've owned (Razer Deathadder Chroma) broke for the third time around a week ago (I've RMAd it twice now), I've really gotten into the science of how different mice sensors perform and I personally find it very interesting. Of course, I haven't got a clue how most of it actually works! But hey, that's why I'm here.
biggrin.gif
I'm unclear on the terminology for the most part. The simple terms, such as DPI, polling rates, and acceleration I understand almost completely, but then there are features of mice such as jitter, pixel walk, smoothing, and angle snapping to name a few that I don't quite understand what affect they have on the accuracy of a mouse. I was also under the impression that all laser mice came with some amount of irreversible hardware acceleration, but apparently they've fixed that flaw in the newer sensors?

That was more of a general knowledge type question, so don't worry, they won't all be like that.
tongue.gif
I lied, sorry.;-;

Anyway, first question. I was wondering, is there a version of the Omron D2FC-F-7N switch (which is the standard for a lot of gaming mice) that exists which requires less force to actuate than the default, or if there is a switch of the same quality from a different manufacturer that can produce the same effect. Maybe it's just the fact that I've only owned one gaming mouse and I simply don't prefer it, or if it has something to do with Razer's build quality, which is very "hit or miss". I just don't like that the button has to travel so far down before a click is actuated; which in reality is only a couple millimeters, but it feels like a lot. It's strange, because I was satisfied with my first out of three DA Chromas for over a year before the mouse itself physically wore out, however, I was not satisfied at all with both of the replacements I received afterwards. In fact, I returned the second one assuming that the left click was mushier than normal, and just threw the third one away after a few days when I found that it was exactly the same. :/ After that, I decided I would try the Logitech G502 after reading about it and hearing suggestions from friends. Apparently is uses a very top-of-the-line sensor. I won't be asking for suggestions though; I'm sure you get enough of those already.

I'm also curious as to what situations would it be beneficial to use a heavier mouse over a lighter one, seeing as the G502 comes with customizable weights and I want to know how to use them.
tongue.gif

Now looking back at what I've written, I can't really think of anything else I want to ask, although I would like to know how they managed to make laser sensors with 0 hardware acceleration.

PS: If you were wondering what mouse I am using in the meantime, it's the CM Storm Devastator that came bundled with my keyboard. The sensor is absolute torture, and yet, I find the clicks much more satisfying than the Deathadder's. That ain't right...

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
> there are features of mice such as jitter, pixel walk, smoothing, and angle snapping to name a few that I don't quite understand what affect they have on the accuracy of a mouse.

Obligatory Morier vid: https://youtu.be/lc7JVjcPzL0

> I was also under the impression that all laser mice came with some amount of irreversible hardware acceleration, but apparently they've fixed that flaw in the newer sensors?

Well, it's true that there are some "laser" sensors that exist w/o accel. Namely PTE, which I don't want to really talk about atm 1) Because I'm lazy 2) There's a madman that trolls this forum wrecking havoc on the sane-minded whenever it's mentioned. But the "mainstream" laser sensors (9500/9800) still suffer from a higher degree of variance than optical contemporaries. So no, nothing has been "fixed" as of recent.

> Some stuff about switches

I'm not as familiar with this so l'll let someone else chime in on the particulars. But the click feeling can change based on the mouse's shell and a couple other factors. The same switch can feel different mouse to mouse.

> I'm also curious as to what situations would it be beneficial to use a heavier mouse over a lighter one

Subjective. A lot of users here play FPSs (generally low sensitivities) and consider the less weight the better. Once again, weight is only one factor and it's best to see what works for you in your own trials. Some say heavier weight makes aiming steadier for them, as an example. Some just like the "heft" of more weight.

• Rep+
Reactions: Avalar

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
623 Posts
Welcome to OCN Mice. Before we go on, let me link a few long threads that can serve as health warnings for your mind and wallet:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1286992/mouse-fetish-club

http://www.overclock.net/t/1592682/im-becoming-insane-about-finding-a-perfect-mouse-after-testing-out-lots-of-mice-i-dont-know-what-i-want-anymore

http://www.overclock.net/t/1532116/i-cant-stop-buying-mice

Laser sensors aren't too bad, but there is no reason to go for one when we have so many choices with optical sensors.

As Maximillion said, depending on the construction of a mouse's shell the same switch can feel softer or stiffer.

Weight of a mouse is pretty much preference, though I do believe that a lighter mouse is more comfortable most of the time. I should also inform you that even without any weights the G502 is still kind of a bulky mouse.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximillion View Post

Things
Lol, I actually tried watching that video once, although the f***ing guys with the cameras in the background make it unbearable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by badben25 View Post

Welcome to OCN Mice. Before we go on, let me link a few long threads that can serve as health warnings for your mind and wallet:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1286992/mouse-fetish-club

Weight of a mouse is pretty much preference, though I do believe that a lighter mouse is more comfortable most of the time. I should also inform you that even without any weights the G502 is still kind of a bulky mouse.
Jesus. I would probably just change the way I play before buying that many mice. o_O What with my unstable source of income...

Thanks for the replies though guys.
smile.gif

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Another question. Is there any significant difference between the PMW3366DM-VWOU optical sensor and the regular PMW3366?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts