Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, well I just got my custom build to post FINALLY (http://www.overclock.net/amd-general...t-posting.html)

On my monitor it said it was analyzing processor, floppy, etc. Then it moved onto a Biostar screenshot (my mobo) and it says Press F8 to enable system configuration, F9 to do something else, blah blah. However, my Keyboard isn't working so I'm not quite sure how I should go about selecting these options..

I also popped in my Windows XP disk and it loads the same Biostar screen.

So how should I go about having my build recognize my keyboard?

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by n1helix View Post
you need a PS2 keyboard as your USB keyboard support might be turned off in BIOS
This.

BIOS needs a PS/2 or the purple socket keyboard to run until you enable a USB keyboard, not sure why this is; it just is.

Good luck with your build!

Edit:
Try un-plugging the keyboard and back in.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I'll re-plug it in. I could have sworn I saw the lights go on and off inbetween turning it off. I have it config'd on the mobo box, not in the case yet. I am turning it on and off using a nail on the pins in the corner of the mobo (forget the name for them).

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by noobd View Post
I don't have a USB keyboard, its the PS2 (circular?) purple type.

Yes.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I had actually the reverse problem, my PS/2 socket was dead when I got the mobo. If your keyboard is already PS/2, then you might try a USB one (or a USB adapter)... most modern mobo's support them in BIOS.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, I think I found the problem.

I re-plugged in and rebooted and the keyboard lights flashed, and then I was trying to press F8 and nothing happened. But then I pressed DEL to enter the Bios and that worked, so I rebooted and pressed F1 (continue) and now Windows Setup loaded and is installing (Windows XP disc in the drive).

Ok, I went to install XP and it said "Setup did not find any hard disk drivers installed on your computer"

My HDD is plugged in (my setup wouldn't even post when it wasn't hooked up). So what should I try? A different connector for it?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I went into the bios and for Sata 1 Device, Sata 2 Device, etc up to Sata 4 Device it said "None". I also tried to "auto detect" and nothing came up.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fixed.. I was stupid. I didn't connect the pink Sata cable from the HDD to the Mobo. I had one of the PSU cables connected to it.

After that it was crashing on the way to the Windows XP setup, I fixed that by changing the boot sequence.

Its setting up right now

I'm still nervous about setting it up in the case. I'm not sure if I fried the first mobo because I thought I had messed the second one up too but it actually worked.. =/

·
Registered
230 Posts
Welcome to the world of PC building!! You are learning a valuable trade! We all make mistakes, but thats only valuable if you remember them!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok... as always, new problem.

On the "Installing Windows" step of the Windows Setup (after the blue screen when it says formatting). It seemed as though the setup crashed. It was "creating Start menu icons" then it just rebooted. It went back to that step in the setup and crashed again. And it kept doing this.

Naturally, I attempted to reformat again. I deleted the old partition and started a new one (i chose the option that doesn't say (quick) at the end, that was the one I used last time). It started, and it was at 14% then I went to take a shower and stuff, I got back and it was still at 14%.. (40 minutes later). So I assumed it messed up again, and I rebooted and now it isn't posting..

The only thing I can think of is that there's a problem with my harddrive.. other than that, I'm clueless.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
is the OS legit? ie. Did you download/burn it yourself or is it from a shop?

I had a problem with my Windows 7 DVD as it didn't burn properly it didn't get past the setup of "Expanding files" but I re-burned and it flew past.

If it's not home-made then I'd try another HDD/CD Drive to help debug the problem.

My money's on a bad CD.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The CD was fresh out of the pack. I had been saving it for this computer or a new laptop. I think i got it from my old Dell or my father got it from work for one of the laptops they gave him.

I'm not sure if I have any other XP disks to boot from..

And the system posted before the XP disk was even in the tray last time, I don't even think the tray was hooked up the first few times it posted.. and now it isn't posting at all.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, well I let the build sit for awhile and tried to post as is, and I got nothing.

I tried first without the cd-tray attached, no go. I then tried with the SATA (pink cable?) in a different Sata port, no go. I then tried to connect with one of the connectors that goes into the HDD from the PSU (not the Sata, it originally posted like this) and that didn't work. I also tried without the HDD attached (has never posted like this) and it didn't work.

The hdd makes a sound when I try to post, its definitely on.

I really have no idea what the problem could be if its not the HDD. The whole thing started when I cancelled the format, so naturally I think the HDD could be messed up, but not in a non-postable status.

Really need help on this one..

·
Premium Member
4,715 Posts
Ok, well one thing is that if you're using an install disk that was intended for a dell, it could cause issues because often times those install disks have custom drivers on them and may be lacking the drivers that you need. That may be the reason for the freezes. You can always just download a standard windows ISO via a torrent and then install it with your legit key. As far as I'm aware this is legal. By all means it SHOULD be legal.

But obviously this isnt the reason why its not posting. Since there's nothing to suggest that any one thing is malfunctioning, I suggest taking everything apart, even taking the CPU out and rebuilding it. This is an age old trick to get a rig running that SHOULD be running but isnt. Be careful of electrostatic discharge, thouch a case while connecting and disconnecting componants, or wear an electrostatic wrist band. And dont wear socks.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the quick reply Canadian. I remember in my old thread we couldn't figure out what was wrong.. but it seems like everything was indeed functioning, correct?

The only thing I forgot to say is that the HDD that I'm using is from my old desktop (didn't need to purchase a new one IMO). I'm not sure how that comes into play.. When I was formatting I deleted my old information that was on there from my old desktop.

Its been nearly a year since I've built this bad boy, are there any generic build instructions step by step (if thats even needed). I remember I used one initially when I had first built this. Or should I just put the CPU in first, then the GPU, RAM, etc?

Should I hook up the HDD and the CD tray?

·
Premium Member
4,715 Posts
You should be able to put it all together in any order, but yes, generally it's easiest to put the CPU in first.

I do:

PSU into the case
CPU
HSF
RAM
MOBO into the case
connect PSU
HDD
GPU
Then any peripherals, CD drive, etc.

Power on.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm just going to assemble it outside of the case, on the mobo box for now. Its just more of a hassle to put it in the case at this point, especially if its not working.

I'm going to do this within the next 5 minutes, I'll let you know.

·
My claws fix anything
3,246 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by theCanadian
View Post

Ok, well one thing is that if you're using an install disk that was intended for a dell, it could cause issues because often times those install disks have custom drivers on them and may be lacking the drivers that you need. That may be the reason for the freezes. You can always just download a standard windows ISO via a torrent and then install it with your legit key. As far as I'm aware this is legal. By all means it SHOULD be legal.

But obviously this isnt the reason why its not posting. Since there's nothing to suggest that any one thing is malfunctioning, I suggest taking everything apart, even taking the CPU out and rebuilding it. This is an age old trick to get a rig running that SHOULD be running but isnt. Be careful of electrostatic discharge, thouch a case while connecting and disconnecting componants, or wear an electrostatic wrist band. And dont wear socks.

Excellent advice, as those will both help out alot (or rather... should). I've used Dell CD's many times before to install XP, and then later used a new key and it has worked (somewhere around 7 or 8 times I've done that), so it shouldn't be the fact that the XP cd is a dell... but Its likely enough that you might try a different one.

And while testing the rig for functionality, try booting with only one stick of ram and the onboard video (if you have it).... basically try to boot with the least amount of stuff plugged in as possible, and if it works, keep adding stuff until you either find something wrong, or it works.

Good luck

1 - 20 of 104 Posts