Overclock.net banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'm on my way switching back to air cooling. Big Typhoon is on the way. I've had my current water cooling in place for almost two weeks now and everything has been great until I woke up this morning.

PC wouldn't boot and I couldn't get a video signal on my primary monitor. After much troubleshooting I found a small puddle of coolant on the top of my vid card. I cleaned it off thoroughly and dried it with a hair dyer to be sure.

It's working fine now but GPU temp is not showing in EVEREST anymore. The circuit prints that were affected look to have the protective coating worn off somewhat.

The damn leak was at the threads of the bottom port on my Apogee block. It must have been a drop at a time which just grazed the fins on my NB heatsink and dripped through onto the top of the vid card. Hopefully my card will recover and I won't have to buy another one. ATI AIW x800xt's aren't listed on Newegg anymore and I only found two or three sites with them available.

Water cooling has been great but I don't want to take chances anymore.

EDIT:

O.K., after a quick reset of Everest for the third time, the GPU temp is showing again. "Fingers crossed"

·
Premium Member
10,440 Posts
air dry...though primative...has been used since the begginng of time....water and electronics are not a combo I can indulge into

·
Premium Member
20,530 Posts
Yet another example of why I refuse to go water anytime soon.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
O.K., I tightened the barbs on the Apogee and sealed around them with an aquarium silicon sealant. I had already used teflon tape on the barb threads during the initial install. The silicon sealant has only cured for 3 hours and I'm gonna keep an eye on it for the next couple of days.

I hope my card is o.k.! Temps are still good with it and I played F.E.A.R. for a few minutes and things seem to be fine. I got a small bit of stutter while playing, but, I also swapped my memory a couple of days ago. Went from 2 gigs of Corsair at 440 to 1 gig of OCZ at 500 and I had to reset a paging file when I decreased the ram size.

Any ideas on this? I created a 2 gig partition on a separate drive and placed a 1 gig paging file on it.

"Fingers still crossed"

·
SNERP!!!
4,183 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chopes

That is a rare problem and is only a time time deal, once you fix it, your done with the leaking if you setup your rig correctly, the water shouldn't do anything to your parts since it is unconductive. Stick with watercooling.

That's right. If you have non conductive liquid you are fine. You have to use quite a bit of Teflon tape to get a good seal. I put enough on my apogee that I had to use pliers to get it to screw down.

Stick with the water setup. You already invested the time and money in it. Your card is fine. The only reason water affects stuff is because it conducts electricity and shorts everything out. You could dunk your video card in water when it wasn't plugged in for an hour and if you properly dried it off and reset your heatsink/waterblock it would be fine.

If you decide to go with air I've got dibs on your system

·
Registered
8 Posts
Haha, yeah, its scary as hell. When I was installing my homemade block, I had to take out the motherboard, so I took off my video card. When I was messing with the mobo, trying to take off the plastic 478 brackets, I accidently knocked my card off the desk, and it fell into a bucket of water. Man I was freaking out.
I grabbed a blow dryer and took off the heatsink/fan, and dried that sucker up.
Scary

·
Banned
3,515 Posts
Sure, it will not corode your video card, but the same thing happened to me when one of my nylon tubeing clamps that came with my Apogee snapped. and water got on the top of my video card (6800GT), I cleaned if off with 90% alcohol, but now there is an orange crust around the part where the coolant leaked. The video card worked, but I killed it when I did an AS5 re-app (too rough with it, core got chipped). Don't trade in your WC, just replace all your clamps with worm drives' and don't over tighten them, or else they will shear the tubing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts