Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys
as you can see, im looking at building my first computer. I am lucky enough to have saved up a decent amount of money ($3000 AUD) and have come up with the system seen below in my sig for $2,990. I didnt put in the wireless adaptor that i selected (D-Link DWA-556 Xtreme N). I still have $600 (not included in the budget of $3000) but im saving that for when the 3xx series comes out. I thought it was best to post here before buying the parts. Any ideas/suggestions as to what would better and improve the system?
Cheers

·
Premium Member
7,389 Posts
I'm not too hot on the Dominators myself; I'd get a cheaper model. There are lots of cheaper models out there that overclock just as well, if not better, than the Dominators.

Additionally, if you're going with a single card solution, the EVGA Classified is definitely not needed. That board is made for Tri-SLI, hence its high cost. If you're going with a single GTX3xx, a normal X58 board will do.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by r31ncarnat3d
View Post

I'm not too hot on the Dominators myself; I'd get a cheaper model. There are lots of cheaper models out there that overclock just as well, if not better, than the Dominators.

Additionally, if you're going with a single card solution, the EVGA Classified is definitely not needed. That board is made for Tri-SLI, hence its high cost. If you're going with a single GTX3xx, a normal X58 board will do.

If you dont mind checking out www.pccasegear.com.au what other ddr3 ram would you suggest that they offer?
and same deal for the mobo
cheers

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheFailGrenade
View Post

I think the 3xx series will cost a bomb. Considering the 5970 costs about $690 AUD, the Fermi card is going to cost considerably more than that, nVidia being what they are.

Windows 7 Ultimate is a bit overkill, isn't it?

the 5970 costs closer to $1000

yes i agree windows 7 ultimate is overkill but it was given to me as a present

·
Registered
236 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by danielwaldron
View Post

If you dont mind checking out www.pccasegear.com.au what other ddr3 ram would you suggest that they offer?
cheers

Lol on newegg its $630 American but I suppose it would be more here, damn convicts!

Good present!

·
Premium Member
7,389 Posts
Quote:

View Post

cheers

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?...ducts_id=12496

I'd recommend this RAM. Not ideal, but the selection is limited. However, these are much cheaper and I am still skeptical of performance gains from RAM capacities more than 4GB. These are also good overclocking RAM, and don't cost a kidney like the Dominators do

·
Premium Member
7,389 Posts
Quote:

View Post

any reason why you dont like the corsair?

It's just amazingly overpriced. It performs well, but there definitely are other RAM models out there that perform similarly for much cheaper; the G.Skill RAM are a good example.

• Rep+
Reactions: danielwaldron

·
Registered
476 Posts
You havent posted what you are gonna do with it. Since you are waiting for a 3xx ( which wont be out until february at least ) I presume its gaming.
If you are gonna game with it, why not go for the i5 750?
And the classified is a great motherboard but a complete waste of money if you are not on DICE/LN2.
If you are gonna use it for gaming spend your money on a monitor and a powerful graphics card and nice pheripherals. CPU is not that important.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
primary uses are gaming and photo editing
light coding, watching movies, surfing the net and listening to music. i dont really see the point of going i5 considering the i9 will also be 1366 pin?

·
Premium Member
7,389 Posts
Quote:

View Post

primary uses are gaming and photo editing
light coding, watching movies, surfing the net and listening to music. i dont really see the point of going i5 considering the i9 will also be 1366 pin?

Keep in mind though that the i9 is the "Extreme" CPU of this Intel generation, meaning it will easily be $1000+ due to its unlocked multiplier.

I'd go i5 if I were you to cut back on costs, as your activities really are not that CPU intensive to need an i7 or i9.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Ahh, Mate- You selected D-Link DWA-556 Xtreme N. the right choice! I never have every single problem with DWA-556. So, I feel no regrets and love it!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts