Overclock.net banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, been lurking through the forums for awhile now attempting to read up and catch up to the times. The last time I have built a machine was back in the days of DOS so please bear with me a bit
biggrin.gif

I'm looking to build a new machine for the new elder scrolls game/diablo3/BF3 and am having a hard time deciding on various pieces. I was kind of leaning towards waiting for whatever new is headed out but from the sounds of it that is still a bit off? I am planning on holding off on buying everything until all the black friday deals and such. My current machine is a nice old core 2 duo 2.6 4gb ddr2 ram evga 7960GT bla bla. Served well and at the end.

ANYWAYS. The following was what I had in mind thus far, lets say my budget is somewhere between 1.5 - 2k USD

Motherboard - ASRock Z68 EXTREME4 GEN3 - Leaning towards this here, having a hard time chosing one, sounds like these are pretty OC friendly. These are supposedly able to support the ivy bridge as well, yeh?
Appreciate suggestions for sure!!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157264

CPU - Intel Core i5 2500k - Nothing else to say

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072

CPU Cooling - Corsair H100 - Why not? I know some of you may refer me to a Rasa kit but it seems like a bit much for me to try figuring out
confused.gif

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181017&Tpk=h100

Case - Corsair 500R - Heard you can't really do a push/pull with the H100 on this? Hopefully that is not that big of a deal

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139009

Memory - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 or the CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231428
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233180

Power Supply - CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX750 - Again unsure - but I think I like the modular - no idea what kind of power I need but 750 sounds like a good number?
rolleyes.gif
I suppose the GPU will depend on that, onward!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139016

Video Card - Another hard decision I can't quite make...
2x SLI 560 TI...do 1x 570 and get a second at another time?..1x 580 and a second at a later time? 600 series coming out soon? may factor into what to blow the $$ on. keep reading about vram with games on ultra and such so a bit lost on what to do!

SSD - Crucial M4 128GB

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148442

HDD - Some random TB or such non sense

Possibly replacing the fans with these
wink.gif

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835553001

SOOO..the above is pretty much where I sit thus far, really appreciate any feedback at all. Been scouring the forums for a few weeks now trying to make sense of everything so hopefully I am somewhat on the right track, love this place and glad I came across it. Been a long day and time for some sleep! Will check back later for sure
cool.gif

THANKS!!

·
Premium Member
3,246 Posts
Looks very solid. FYI, Newegg has a few NZXT Phantom colorways for $106.24 with the code NZXTOCT1, which is a hell of a deal.

Personally I would only go modular if you really want the modularity, since the TX750 is quite a bit less expensive and will perform great. Also, my PSU, the Seasonic X-750, is a great choice, although I got it on a $130 sale, which Newegg has every now and then.

And I personally wouldn't bother upgrading the fans, considering the cost. Although they would look delicious in that black and orange Phantom...
thinking.gif

·
Premium Member
5,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazzz;15188862
Case - Corsair 500R - Heard you can't really do a push/pull with the H100 on this? Hopefully that is not that big of a deal

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139009
The Corsair 500R will not do a push/pull up top, there is not enough room. You can probably manage it if you mod it a little bit or mount a set of fans outside the case.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
You have obviously been doing some research as the parts you have suggested are pretty much spot on for your needs.

The 2500k is a killer cpu and coupled with a high end graphics card it can eat any game.

The extra cost of the H100 over the H70 imo is not worth it as the H70 can keep a 2500k cool even at around 5ghz, so you may want to save some money here.

I would also go with a NZXT Phantom purely for its great airflow and cable management properties, Even with a non modular psu you can hide every cable needed within your build easilly, and also save money on the psu.

G-Skill ripjaws memory has to be the most recommended memory on this forum for a good reason it really is that good, So good choice.

750w is a good choice for allowing headroom for adding another gpu later on as this can handle 2x 580's + cpu overclock, Corsair, Seasonic or xfx are very well rated psu's and can pull 110% of their rated capacity easilly.

Right now i would go with a gtx 580 and add another once 600 series is released and 580 prices come down. 600 series cards are only supposed to be minimal improvements over the current 500 series and there's plenty of speculation some 600 series cards will be nothing more than re-branded 500 series cards
wink.gif

HDD Samsung spinpoint F3 1TB comes up again and again as it really is great for the money!.

In general Asrock make awsome boards with more features for less money, and overclock like champs so once again if your happy with asrock then there's no reason to change brands as asrock will perform the same or better than any other P67/Z68 motherboard.

Enjoy the build!
smile.gif

·
Premium Member
5,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy;15189264
I would also go with a NZXT Phantom purely for its great airflow and cable management properties, Even with a non modular psu you can hide every cable needed within your build easilly, and also save money on the psu.
No offence, but the 500R is probably one of the best mid-tower cases with airflow, another being the NZXT Phantom. They are both superior mid-tower cases for air-cooling. OP did his research and I am probably sure that is why he picked it. Apparently the 500R can have 10 fans, not saying that he should put 10 in there, but he has the option to.

Also, have you seen a finished 500R build. Those rubber grommets for cable management are awesome! I think the Phantom has them as well. There is plenty of room behind the mobo in the 500R for cable management too.

·
Premium Member
5,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinesethunda;15189701
Phantom is higher than a mid case. I have once and would suggest it. Everything else looks good

Sent from my brain using my fingers
Ahh i didnt realize it was a full tower, it is 4" longer an 1" taller than the 500R. and the 500R is a big "mid-tower" case. xD

·
Registered
My current Rig - Asus Tuf X570, Ryzen 3700X, 64GB Corsair 3600 DDR4, MSI RTX 2080 Super
649 Posts
I agree with other posters that you should consider a larger case (full tower like the NXZT Phantom); in case you want to upgrade in the future, such as adding another video card.

As far as video card(s). 570 < 580 < 560TI in SLI. So, the question you need to answer is whether you want to future proof your rig. I've read that video games will be more and more graphic intensive down the road. Therefore, if I were to purchase a rig today, I would buy the 580 and upgrade in the future (when I feel it to be necessary) by buying another 580 to SLI those bad boys.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Looks like a good build. Will you be dual booting? If not, save yourself the money and invest in a 60gb SSD. For games and media SSD's are not that great to be honest. Used to have Black Ops, Bad Company 2 and SCII loaded on a SSD...HDD isn't that much slower and certainly isn't worth the $ per GB ratio. If dual booting, pick up a 90gb at most, but even then 60 will be fine. I'd also suggest just getting a 570, unless you have the cash to burn on a 580. From what I've read, the Kepler cards won't be that amazing of an upgrade. I run everything maxed out right now with my 580 (not OC'd). What monitor do you plan on running? 1080p? If so, you shouldn't have any issue. Picking up a 570 or 580 now will last you for quite some time, then popping them in SLI will prolong them. Grab one now, buy another next year used for cheap. For the record 580 isn't THAT much better than the 570. You will be good either way.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
First off - Thanks for all the responses, appreciate it

Quote:

Originally Posted by t-ramp
View Post

And I personally wouldn't bother upgrading the fans, considering the cost. Although they would look delicious in that black and orange Phantom...

I actually kind of love and hate you right now, it seems you knew what I was looking for with the 500r / orange LED fans. That case is quite drool worthy though. I already have a beast of a case for this old setup so the size isn't really an issue.

The only thing that worries me is that it seems you can only use NZXT fans in these cases, which I really have no problem with, except for the fact that NZXT sells no Orange LED fans
I emailed them regarding it, maybe they'll be kind enough to sell them separately...don't understand why they would sell a case with (1) orange fan but not offer more, sighs.

I guess if it comes down to it I can always try and figure out how to mount those COUGAR ones..drill my one holes or what not, but would rather not :\\ I'm assuming there really are no other brand fans that fit?

With it being 15% off right now I'm slightly tempted to buying it now, you think this will get updated to USB3 by end of november? perhaps the whole fan deal will get tinkered as well?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chewy
View Post

The extra cost of the H100 over the H70 imo is not worth it as the H70 can keep a 2500k cool even at around 5ghz, so you may want to save some money here.

G-Skill ripjaws memory has to be the most recommended memory on this forum for a good reason it really is that good, So good choice.

750w is a good choice for allowing headroom for adding another gpu later on as this can handle 2x 580's + cpu overclock, Corsair, Seasonic or xfx are very well rated psu's and can pull 110% of their rated capacity easilly.

Right now i would go with a gtx 580 and add another once 600 series is released and 580 prices come down. 600 series cards are only supposed to be minimal improvements over the current 500 series and there's plenty of speculation some 600 series cards will be nothing more than re-branded 500 series cards

HDD Samsung spinpoint F3 1TB comes up again and again as it really is great for the money!.

Enjoy the build!

The h70 sounded like a good idea, if I stick with the 500R I most likely would do that, but it seems in the phantom the h70 cannot be mounted without removing one of the fans - not sure how big of a deal that is, but it is said the h100 works perfectly in this case

If 750W can handle SLI 580s then that sounds perfect to me, I'll pick up the 750 and 1x580 for now. As well as that HDD
- Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by waldoh74
View Post

Looks like a good build. Will you be dual booting? If not, save yourself the money and invest in a 60gb SSD.

Thanks, you're right, the price difference is pretty big as well for what it will be used for, likely go with this

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cuar
View Post

Here is what I would change.

GPU-580
Case-Link for much better air flow and case size.
PSU-Link Solid PSU and you will need this for future upgrade/ 580 and its fully modular.

Let me know what you think.

You are making my life much more difficult!
I'll definitely be reading up on that case here in a few moments. 580 it seems to be, why must PSU's be so expensive

·
Times flies
2,256 Posts
Look at the 600T SE White
That is what I'm getting for my build, at first I wanted Phantom and then I wanted HAF 932 and then changed to HAF X and now I settled for a 600T after so many threads and posts (Look at all my posts haha)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts