Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

As my first post on OCN (I've been lurking in the shadows as I worked on my rig for the past 3 weeks) I figured I would post a log of what I just accomplished building. I still have yet to Overclock it but that is definitely the next step once my OS arrives in the mail that is, however check out the rig specs:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-880GMA-UD2H
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 5770 w/ Flex
Power Supply: Corsair GS800watt
RAM: OCZ 16GB DDR3 1333MHz,
Hard Drive: WD 2TB 64MB 7200RPM
CPU Cooler: Xigmatec Dark Knight
Case: Antec 900
Disc Drive: LG Blu-Ray DVD Writer x10 write speed
Disc Drive 2: LG DVD Reader/Writer Combo x24 write speed

Overall with the research I have done this "should" be a decent rig for under $1000 (total budget).

What are your thoughts?

·
Premium Member
16,458 Posts
16 gig of ram is over kill, get a GTX 460 instead of the 5770

I've had 8 gigs (see my club) and 4 gigs is the best balance. More performance than 2 gigs and no performance loss from 8 gigs (8 gigs will be future proof I suppose)

·
Registered
62 Posts
The Ram Is overkill. 8G would be more than plenty. And you could use that money on the video card. 5870 Perhaps

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
From what I have read up on the Video Card is a decent unit for the price (I paid $120 CAD), the RAM was the cheapest part of the build at $150 CAD, I was hooked up by a buddy of mine.

For a starter build I don't think it is a bad rig, definitely has some room for future expansion. I also have a 40GB SSD coming shortly to run my OS so the other HDD's will be used for programs and other stuff.

Along with a gaming rig the only way I would get the "approval" of my wife to build it (without being in the doghouse for a month) I had to make it somewhat like a PVR as such I will be adding in a TV Tuner soon.

Anyways I knew the 16GBs of Ram would be overkill and I knew that would be the majority of the critique lol. Thanks for the comments though guys.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DiNet
View Post

gratz you've done it wrong
16 gb of OCZ ram. You made mistake twice in this.
GPU, PSU, HDD, bd+dvd 2 drives for that?

I'm assuming you aren't a fan of OCZ RAM? Ehh too each his/her own.

What did you mean in two drives for the GPU, PSU, HDD, BD+DVD 2 drives for that?

If you are asking why I have two disc drives it is because I am lazy and hate swapping discs for burning stuff, on top of which it now allows me to burn a blu-ray and watch a movie, or vice versa.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts