Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, been on OCN for a bit and always had the itch to do a water loop.

EK doesn't make a block for my 970's and i'm ready to end SLI issues and just go the one card route. 970's are for sale locally (don't have enough rep here to post a for sale) and a 980ti is on the way.

Went with EVGA's 06G-P4-4991-KR model, which is basically just a reference model with their acx cooler since it was the best priced card that still used the reference pcb i could find on newegg.

As for the water loop, picked up the EK Nickel water block, 6 EK Compression fittings (3/8 x 5/8), and an EK Coolstream CE 140mm radiator from performance pcs.

Ended up being slightly cheaper to get the pump and tubing from amazon, plus i had a $25 gift card at amazon waiting for me. Went with the EK DDC 140 pump/resi combo unit and some primochill primoflex advanced LRT clear tubing.

Right now the cpu is cooled via a corsair H110i GT so for now this loop will only be for the graphics card. eventually i'll get a 280mm rad and block for the cpu to get it in the loop as well.

Just ordered everything but i fear that i might need some plugs if the block/pump doesn't come with any. Also plan on just using some distilled water for fluid. Going for more function > looks for right now. Maybe in the future i'll make it look pretty.

Also i haven't decided where i want to mount the pump/resi but most likely i'll end up putting it in the back side of the case. Also still need to figure out filling/drain ports.

Let me know if you have another suggestions as i am all ears. I think i've done sufficient searching and i feel the parts i've chosen will work well together, but i've been wrong before
thumb.gif

Also, here's a link to the pc in its current setup via pcpartpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/TdTH99

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radnad View Post

What fan/s you going to run on the 140? With that minimal rad space your going to want the best fan/s possible and run push/pull if you can.
you think a single 140mm is going to have a hard time keeping the gtx 980ti cool? most of the hybrid coolers use a single 120, albeit they usually do have some sort of air cooling as well directly on the card.

The case setup is in a Corsair Air 540. the 140mm rad will be at the very back, with a noctua 140mm fan in pull config since the radiator won't fit if mounted directly to the case. I plan to add a second 140mm later. At the front of the case are 3 120mm noctuas pushing air straight in.

Red arrows are 140mm exhaust fans (noctua pressure fans)
Blue arrows are 120mm intake fans (noctua case airflow fans)

The single red arrow going back is where the 140mm radiator will go. eventually a 280mm radiator will be added to the top as well as the cpu. if i really had to i don't see why i couldn't add another radiator to the front and more fans as well.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarneyRubble View Post

+1 on the push/pull IF YOU CAN.

It makes a big difference. If you don't have the space, don't worry about it.
i've got room for it. i have room to add more to the single 140mm, but the 280mm rad up top + fans will not be able to do push/pull because of this.

I'll snag another fan in the near future.

here's a picture where you can see my available expansion

edit: so it appears i might have some clearance issues with the single 140mm, even with the fittings at the bottom. Might have to pick another radiator or get creative..

·
Registered
710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofmyheadyo View Post

btw noctua has fans in other colors now, you dont have to live with this poop colored theme
biggrin.gif
I love the "poop colored" theme. It's very Scandinavian. Reminds me of my old Volvo.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMI4tth3w View Post

Quote:

What fan/s you going to run on the 140? With that minimal rad space your going to want the best fan/s possible and run push/pull if you can.
you think a single 140mm is going to have a hard time keeping the gtx 980ti cool? most of the hybrid coolers use a single 120, albeit they usually do have some sort of air cooling as well directly on the card.

The case setup is in a Corsair Air 540. the 140mm rad will be at the very back, with a noctua 140mm fan in pull config since the radiator won't fit if mounted directly to the case. I plan to add a second 140mm later. At the front of the case are 3 120mm noctuas pushing air straight in.

Red arrows are 140mm exhaust fans (noctua pressure fans)
Blue arrows are 120mm intake fans (noctua case airflow fans)

The single red arrow going back is where the 140mm radiator will go. eventually a 280mm radiator will be added to the top as well as the cpu. if i really had to i don't see why i couldn't add another radiator to the front and more fans as well.
I think a 140 will be adequate, just won't get extreme cooling if your extreme overclocking. A 240 or 280 would make a world of difference, but imo a 140 is probably still better than air.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by mypickaxe View Post

I love the "poop colored" theme. It's very Scandinavian. Reminds me of my old Volvo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofmyheadyo View Post

btw noctua has fans in other colors now, you dont have to live with this poop colored theme
biggrin.gif
not trying to win any beauty contests
smile.gif
plus the other colors have different applications and cost more for less. (they don't come with low noise adapters or splitters)

Quote:

I think a 140 will be adequate, just won't get extreme cooling if your extreme overclocking. A 240 or 280 would make a world of difference, but imo a 140 is probably still better than air.
I think so as well. Plus when i swap the CLC 280mm radiator and add a 280mm that will be in the entire loop, things will simmer down. if i really want to get crazy, i'll throw a third radiator in the front. although i'd rather have the radiators on the exhaust side of things.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

It's usually best practice to run your rads as intake to get that cooler ambient air over them.
maybe so, but the air 540 has pretty good intake airflow. with the three 120mm intake fans i'm using i can feel the positive pressure in the case coming from the back vents. with my CLC H110 and 4790K @ 4.7GHz and 1.3V i get max load temps in the mid to low 60's. so i'd prefer to have cooler air going over my components rather than warmer. plus i can keep the positive pressure in the case higher.

either way i might end up populating all locations with radiators anyways.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
can't believe how fast these parts already got here

gpu should come in tomorrow. sadly the radiator i picked out went out of stock and i replied late to performance-pcs' email so it will probably be a good while before i get that stuff in. but i'll wait patiently

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well, it was kinda like playing tetris, but i was able to stuff 3 radiators in the bad boy. looks like i'll have to move the fans to the outside, but i kinda like it to be honest.

the radiators are single 140mm in the back, 240mm on the top, and 360mm on the front.

the nice thing about mounting the top fans on the ouside, is that even though they are 140mm fans, i was able to have them work with the 240mm radiator.

the front fans are noctuas "airflow case fans" which are rated as not the best for radiators, so i'll probably swap those out for something else.

Another thing to note is that i can still add another fan to the inside of each radiator. One on the rear 140mm radiator, only one 120mm fan to the top 240mm radiator towards the front, and two 120mm fans on the bottom two spots on the front 360mm radiator.

Honestly, i wouldn't be surprised if i just used the available spots i have on the inside and populate them with fans and have this thing run just as good.

cpu temps under load are around 55C @ 4.7GHz @ 1.312V (only 10C* difference from my h110i GT, but i'd say thats pretty good since that AIO is pretty beast)

gpu temps under load get to 40C and don't go much higher. (1532MHz core @ 1.27xV)

for the first loop, i'm very happy with it. maybe a couple years down the line i'll do a fancy build with acrylic and make it worth looking at. but as some of you have so kindly pointed out my use of noctua fans, this is a function > looks build.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts