Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could not resist the temptation of delidding so I bought myself a Delid Die mate 2 by Der8auer and it was alot easier than I thought. I replaced the TIM with thermal grizzly conductonaught, did not reseal the IHS and cooled on air with noctua nhd14 with Gelid GC extreme paste.
Specs:
Mobo: Asus maximus X hero
Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 push-pull
Ram: 4x4gb Adata 3200 CL16
Fans:
3x120mm front intake
2x140mm bottom intake
2x140mm top exhaust
1x140mm rear exhaust
All 800-1000RPM depending on CPU temp.

Ambient temp: 23C

Before delid:
VID: 1.315
System agent: 1.35v
CPU Frequency: 4.6Ghz all 6
Cache Frequency: 4.4Ghz
RAM Frequency: 3.2Ghz
AVX Offset: 1
Loadline: Level 5
Temps:
p95 small FFT: 80C+
Aida64: 80C+

After delid
VID: 1.355 - 1.374
System agent: 1.35v
CPU Frequency: 5.1Ghz all 6
Cache Frequency: 4.4Ghz
RAM Frequency: 3Ghz
AVX Offset: 1
Loadline: Level 6
Temps:
p95 small FFT: 70-75C
Aida64: 70-75C

Before I increased my multiplier and voltage after delid, the temps dropped anywhere from 15-24C. I am amazed at this sorcery. Why isn't everyone doing this???

I had to increase my Loadline by a level, I found that with level 5, there were drops of up to .02v here and there when I up'd the voltage to 1.34v+ which caused instability. I also had to decrease my ram frequency a little when increasing the multiplier, the ram at 3.2ghz did not seem to go well with 5ghz on the cpu, weird.. I saw this issue as well when I had the 5960X, my ram was my limiting factor next to temperatures.

Tell me what you think! Share you delid experience with me!

·
Registered
249 Posts
LOL, I have the worst 8700k that I have seen so far.

A delid did a lot for temps, but I had to add water since it takes 1.500 vcore for mine to be AVX stable @ 5.0. Running [email protected] today with an ambient high of 25c warmest core was 77c with a Raystorm pro, 560mm rad.

·
Work Hard Play Hard!
84 Posts
I just delidded the 8700k fresh out of the box last week hope i put enough Conductonaut on it. tested it out with liquid cooling for a test run.

4.8 @ 1.280v 60c with 29C Ambient
5.0 @ 1.3-1.4 is 75c
AVX 0
Clocks we set for all cores.

I will be working on the tune once the last piece shows up Friday.
I didn't test the build before the delid so i cannot compare how much improvement it made.

·
PC Noob
108 Posts
Nice results!

I got an 8700K last weekend, max temps on Prime95 with AVX was 73C on a 4.7GHz (all cores) OC at 1.28v. Going to delid soon to see how much I can get the temps to drop. Delidding is definitely the way to go and the fact that tools are now available to do so is awesome.

·
Work Hard Play Hard!
84 Posts
The delidding process is a little sketchy at first but once done you can feel good about it, The most nervous part for me was breaking the seal on the chip.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Spec:
8700k @ 5GHz, 0 AVX offset.
Asus Maximus X hero
Cooler: 280mm Silent Loop with a push/pull set-up.
Memory: 2x 8GB Team Group DDR 4000 (17, 19, 19, 39)

I was hitting 100c prime95 almost immediately just with MCE. I paid someone who supposedly knew what they were doing to delid it and the result was disappointing. So I bought the kit and did it again myself without using a ton of silicon gunk to reseal the IHS. I found the delid process was scary but pretty easy really. Now with the above spec temps are peaking 80 - 82 during stress tests with a room temperature of 28c. I think I was perhaps too cautious with the liquid metal, but as everything is stable I don't want to open the CPU a 3rd time right now.

For the OC I just used the default XMP profile and followed der8auer's guide on youtube. However I have been tweaking away ever since. Now I'm using Adaptive mode, 1.330v Turbo cpu core voltage, auto offset & LLC level 6. Allowing the voltage to drop at idle helps with temps.

The XMP profile set the VCCIO & VCCSA to 1.320v & 1.312v !! I'm in the process of tweaking them down, and I have both at around 1.28 right now. I want to get them as low as possible and then see if I am able to tighten my memory timings at all.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Spec:
8700k @ 5GHz, 0 AVX offset.
Asus Maximus X hero
Cooler: 280mm Silent Loop with a push/pull set-up.
Memory: 2x 8GB Team Group DDR 4000 (17, 19, 19, 39)

I was hitting 100c prime95 almost immediately just with MCE. I paid someone who supposedly knew what they were doing to delid it and the result was disappointing. So I bought the kit and did it again myself without using a ton of silicon gunk to reseal the IHS. I found the delid process was scary but pretty easy really. Now with the above spec temps are peaking 80 - 82 during stress tests with a room temperature of 28c. I think I was perhaps too cautious with the liquid metal, but as everything is stable I don't want to open the CPU a 3rd time right now.

For the OC I just used the default XMP profile and followed der8auer's guide on youtube. However I have been tweaking away ever since. Now I'm using Adaptive mode, 1.330v Turbo cpu core voltage, auto offset & LLC level 6. Allowing the voltage to drop at idle helps with temps.

The XMP profile set the VCCIO & VCCSA to 1.320v & 1.312v !! I'm in the process of tweaking them down, and I have both at around 1.28 right now. I want to get them as low as possible and then see if I am able to tighten my memory timings at all.
3200Mhz @ cl 16 18 18 38. VCCIO/VCCSA were manually set at 1.1 and 1.15. Played pubg while live streaming @ Faster encoding setting, No issues for a few days now

1 - 9 of 9 Posts