Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I finally finished my first water loop and I always wanted to overclock my GPU but I didn't because I wanted to make sure I was able to keep it cool. Now that I can I'd like to overclock for sure!

I have EVGA Precision already. What do I use to test for stability?

Also, what is the risk of having a premature burnout for my GPU?

Lastly, I am overclocking my 780Ti in my main sig rig, what kind of clock/temps should I be shooting for safely?

·
Programmer
28,680 Posts
Any GPU intensive game or benchmark will be fine for stability testing.
Increase core speed by 30Mhz and test for instability. Once you reach instability, reduce speeds and extend testing time. I like to test for 10 minutes each time I increase the speed. Once I see instability, I reduce speeds and extend testing time to an hour.
As for temps, I bet you don't pass 60c on water. These cards can take up to 85c for long term use.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyW View Post

Any GPU intensive game or benchmark will be fine for stability testing.
Increase core speed by 30Mhz and test for instability. Once you reach instability, reduce speeds and extend testing time. I like to test for 10 minutes each time I increase the speed. Once I see instability, I reduce speeds and extend testing time to an hour.
As for temps, I bet you don't pass 60c on water. These cards can take up to 85c for long term use.
What should I do in regard to voltage? Just max out the offset and go for as high of a clock as I can? That seems a little dangerous for the GPU.

EDIT: Also, how can I tell when my GPU is unstable? Will my game just crash with a not responding error and force close itself?

What is the best method to overclock my VRAM?

·
Programmer
28,680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfcobra View Post

What should I do in regard to voltage? Just max out the offset and go for as high of a clock as I can? That seems a little dangerous for the GPU.

EDIT: Also, how can I tell when my GPU is unstable? Will my game just crash with a not responding error and force close itself?
I'd wait for someone else to advise you on voltage. If you do my method, you'd get the highest possible OC using stock voltage. This must be done first before touching the voltage anyway, as it is good practice to do so.

As for instability, the issues range from texture flickering, in-game level corruption, reduced fps, artifacting (little coloured dots or squares on the screen) and driver/game crashes, blue screens or system hangs.

Remember this, I like to say that it's never temperatures that destroy a GPU, it is the level of voltage it's subjected to over a period of time. Over volting is fine, but I don't know enough about the 780 Ti to advise you on voltages.

Once all this is cleared up, you can move onto overclocking the VRAM. It is the same method as the core, just without the voltage aspect (can't change the voltage of the VRAM, unless you find modified BIOS).

• Rep+
Reactions: hfcobra

·
Registered
102 Posts
For my 770 (4GB Superclocked from EVGA) I have +30 on the core (max) and +420 on the memory. I can go a bit higher on the memory and receive a small boost but I've crashed while having it at +480, so I leave it here to have safe headroom. That's on stock voltage.

When overclocking your GPU use something like Unigine Valley to see the performance you get. Keep a folder with all your scores from every single test to monitor performance gains/losses.

An example of a file name: 2150 (Extreme HD)(30.420) With 30 being the core overclock, 420 being the memory. This is a great way to have easy access to your scores and a good way to track them.

It's all trial and error. If you have a golden card you'll get more than the average bear, but Nvidia is kick awesome so you're more than likely going to achieve a good OC. I simply can't get past +30 on the core because I bought this already overclocked (for the same price as stock).

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Youown View Post

For my 770 (4GB Superclocked from EVGA) I have +30 on the core (max) and +420 on the memory. I can go a bit higher on the memory and receive a small boost but I've crashed while having it at +480, so I leave it here to have safe headroom. That's on stock voltage.

When overclocking your GPU use something like Unigine Valley to see the performance you get. Keep a folder with all your scores from every single test to monitor performance gains/losses.

An example of a file name: 2150 (Extreme HD)(30.420) With 30 being the core overclock, 420 being the memory. This is a great way to have easy access to your scores and a good way to track them.

It's all trial and error. If you have a golden card you'll get more than the average bear, but Nvidia is kick awesome so you're more than likely going to achieve a good OC. I simply can't get past +30 on the core because I bought this already overclocked (for the same price as stock).
Thanks! That is very helpful.
smile.gif

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Youown View Post

What do you make of these results? I am not sure how much impact the memory should have on my score.

http://i.imgur.com/jh8b8fK.jpg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts