Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys!

I am looking to make a HTPC for music streaming and data storage. Was thinking of using plex to stream to my latops and even my cellphone on the go. Really looking to get all my files, photos, etc into one place where I can remote in if needed and access.

I gave it some thought last night and here is what I am thinking:

Parts:
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B150M-DS3h 1151 - $58 (After $20 Bundle)
Processor: Intel i3-6100 - $110
RAM: 16gb of Corsair Vengeance DDR4 - $60
PSU: Corsair AX850 - Free (Use what I have on hand)
Case: TBD (Either Buy Fractal 803/804 or use NZXT 810)
Drives: (4) WD Red 3TB - $105/each = $420

*Plus there is a $10 MIR for the Motherboard that I didn't account for above thumb.gif
For $7 I can get a two year replacement plan on the Mobo, just in case it burns out.

So not accounting for tax.. The build is $648 and I only need to spend $60 out of pocket for the RAM. Everything else would be MC Giftcards.

CPU:
I switched to the Skylake based on being able to obtain it at the last gen pricing.. Actually cheaper by like $20 including the warrant on the board. My assumption it would run cooler and at slightly lower wattage even if its only a $1 a month haha.

Drives:
Now I went with 3tb drives over 4tb due to pricing.. MC only sales the 4tb at $155 which is like $100 more over the cost of the 4 drives than the 3tb model.. So I could get (6) 3tb over the cost of (4) 4tb. I could go to Newegg for cheaper 4tb prices, but I would need of pay out of pocket. Pricing aside.. I was thinking of going with the 4 drives in a mirror for now as I think 6tb of space is more than enough for me for the foreseeable future. Unless you think Raid 5 would be better, but I dont think I will fill 9tb.; Probably can't even fill 1-2tb..

PSU:
I also looked into using the higher wattage PSU and saving money. Now while the lower wattage would be more efficient or so they say. Since they are both Gold rated they both would be about the same. I doubt I would see a noticeable cost difference as at the end of the day it only draws from the wall what is needed.

Case:
I would even use the NZXT 810 case, but I would then need to either run a ether net cable from my first floor to the second or install a wifi card and I rather hard line it. By purchasing the Fractal 803 I can put in my entertainment unit next to the router.

Closing Thoughts:
So basically that is what I am looking at.. I can snag the RAM off Newegg today as its on sale. I think that RAM will be sufficient for the build. I guess I would like to know thoughts on parts.. What do you think of the B150 series Gigabyte boards? I read a few reviews and didn't see anything alarming.

·
Registered
4,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by brazilianloser View Post

I have a somewhat similar setup for my htpc... But I went with the pentium skylake for a bit cheaper over the 6100. It handles plex just fine for my case which is a max of two streams at any time. But 6100 was my wish, just had to keep it cheap.
Hey Brazilianloser!
Whats your pull from the wall idle and load? Your set up wpuld be very similar. Also did you feel you needed the additional cooling from the cool master? I was think of running stock cool.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMattes View Post

Hey Brazilianloser!
Whats your pull from the wall idle and load? Your set up wpuld be very similar. Also did you feel you needed the additional cooling from the cool master? I was think of running stock cool.
Will try to check that out this afternoon and I will let you know... and no had no need for the 212EVO cooler... but I had it sitting around, left over from a previous build so I just used it to not go to waste.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts